Author Topic: Winter baths?  (Read 2619 times)

Offline PennyK

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
Winter baths?
« on: November 12, 2006, 09:31:43 pm »
What do you folks do for Big Paw baths in the winter?  We have bathed Teddy outside all summer but now the snow is starting to fly so I don't want him to get chilled.  (Taking him to a groomers isn't an option for right now.)

Do you put them in the tub inside?  Do their claws scratch the plastic?

Can you just take some pet shampoo and a washcloth and scrub them without immersing them in water?  Like a sponge bath?

Please.....any tips and tricks for winter bathing a doggy-smelling pup are appreciated!

Every girl needs a Teddy bear!

Anakalia

Re: Winter baths?
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2006, 09:39:20 pm »
I give Koby a bath in the tub we have one of those shower heads that are detachable.  I honestly only give Koby a bath once maybe twice a yr. (never in the winter) because he gets really dry flakey skin if I bathe him more often.  Of course, if he gets into something stinky I'll wash him down with a wash cloth, but he usually just smells like Frito's. lol

Offline sarnewfie

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
    • HarborWinds Newfoundlands and Stain Glass
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2006, 09:41:20 pm »
For heavily coated dogs every 6 to 8 weeks is necessary for healthy skin and for keeping dead undercoat from building up and matting.
i use a stock tank 90 gallon with a section in the side cut out so they can step into the tup that is set up on a frame of wood so it is not back breaking but a lot of people like the tubs for sale in the pet catalogs, they are blue and i cant recall the name of them
Photography by Christine
http://harborwinds.fototime.com/PHOTOS FOR ORDERS

HarborWinds Newfoundlands&Search and Rescue
http://www.geocities.com/Petsburgh/Haven/4505

Offline bluskygirl

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2006, 11:27:07 pm »
I just recently gave Bella a bath in our tub for the same reasons (too cold outside). My experience leads to giving the following advice:  a detachable shower nozzle will DEFINITELY help!, if posible secure him to something so that he doesn't try to escape the tub while washing (Bella ransacked my house, ate all the cat's food and generally wreaked havoc in a matter of minutes becuase I couldn't hang on to her), and if Teddy get's the zoomies, watch out!!!  :D  I am battling a skin problem of some kind (just lots of itching). I tried bathing her to make sure that it wasn't something on her skin, but that didn't work. So, the vet has given us some special shampoo to try. Looks like I get to do it again tonight!!! Good luck with Teddy.  Another option would be a petstore that has the rental tubs that you can wash Teddy in yourself.
Bella- Smooth Coat Saint
Piston- grouchy kitty
Jupiter- Scaredy Cat

bigdogs@5501

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2006, 12:04:19 am »
My crazy Pyrs are in the stock ponds daily- so they are usually a mess- how ever we now have several doggie wash places in the larger cities nearby and they are a great deal- they do provide all of the soap, conditioner, towels- everything.

Offline bluskygirl

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2006, 12:15:53 am »
I like the idea of the zoom groom thing. That would be helpful! I haven't tried the dog wash places yet, but there are plenty around. I can see the advantage of not having to clean up the mess; the question is is that worth spending the money to do it there? For me, the answer is generally no (being the poor sap that I am)!
Bella- Smooth Coat Saint
Piston- grouchy kitty
Jupiter- Scaredy Cat

Offline PennyK

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2006, 12:28:42 am »
I have a bunch of "zoom groom" type things in my tack box for my horse - duh!!  Never though of bringing some home to use on the horse-sized-dog!

I used to bath Teddy in the utility sink in the basement until he was too big so I think he would stay put as long as I have a hold of his neck scruff.

What about putting a towel in the bottom of the tub to prevent scratching - would that work?
Every girl needs a Teddy bear!

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2006, 12:31:23 am »
The Newfs go in the shower for their winter baths and it's fine as long as I layer the bathroom with beach towels first!!
We have a hand shower so it's really pretty simple...

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2006, 02:59:51 am »
i would just recommend you to get one of those things that you put in your drain to catch all the hair.  my dogs always clogged it up within 2 minutes if i don't use one!
steffanie in atlanta

aiden (4), tristan (2), & maya (born sept. 17th)
axle-140ish-lb akita (4)
peanut-5lb, 11 months chihuahua
[img width= height= alt=Image Hosted by ImageShack.us]http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/3339/alltogethernowme6.jpg[/img]