Author Topic: Women's Shelter taking in pets too  (Read 12030 times)

Offline brigid67

• BPO Guru
  • Dream And Desire
    • View Profile
Women's Shelter taking in pets too
« on: July 19, 2005, 02:48:23 am »
We have a battered women's shelter in Las Vegas is now also accepting animals.  I guess they said that alot of battered women will not leave because they know the batterer will harm the animals as a way of getting back and to hold control over the battered woman.  I think that is absolutely great!!!!  And i had never really thought about it like that before.  I have helped tons of women over the years get out of the abuse and have never considered that the reason a lot don't leave may have something to do with leaving their pets behind......  Just thought you all should know....
Timmie

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
Re: Women's Shelter taking in pets too
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2005, 07:22:59 am »
I think that is really nice. One step in the right direction to help both women and pets :)
RIP former BPO

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2005, 07:27:02 am »
I wish they had one of those in my area.  I won't leave my Gracey in a kennel or a foster home. 

Offline Nina

• Supreme Drooler
  • In Loving memory 12/30/05 8:30pm We miss you
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2005, 07:35:09 am »
That is a wonderful idea!!!

nina
Nina and Tim
Calgary, AB, Canada
Harley(Lab mix)
Dilbert(Pyr mix)At the bridge
Jolene (cat)

Icerotti

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2005, 07:35:59 am »
That is fantastic. I know I would never leave without my dogs ;)

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2005, 07:40:30 am »
Since we're on the subject...  who here has to deal with that kind of thing?  Abuse of some kind...and how do the dogs deal with it?

Offline Rachel

• BPO Guru
  • Sophie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2005, 07:59:13 am »
I have a friend that was verbally abused by her now ex- fiance.  She has cats though and i'm sure they didn't even notice.   I'm so proud of her that she had the courage to break off the engagement before things got worse.
Rachel and Sophie

My new venture...
www.seasidequi lts.etsy.com

My blog for Sophie, crafting, and life in general
www.seasidequi lts.com/blog

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2005, 08:01:32 am »
Yeah...cats are a lot easier to take with you.  No one would let Grace in.  unless she paid $500 rent.

Offline Nina

• Supreme Drooler
  • In Loving memory 12/30/05 8:30pm We miss you
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2005, 09:14:21 am »
I think dogs would try to protect the person that is being hurt. When Tim and I play fight( tickle each other) Harley(lab) gets very upset if I scream in laughter. She gets in between us to break it up. She does the same if people are play fighting, punching ect.

Nina
Nina and Tim
Calgary, AB, Canada
Harley(Lab mix)
Dilbert(Pyr mix)At the bridge
Jolene (cat)

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2005, 09:19:33 am »
I don't let mine do that...that would only add fuel to the fire.  My hubby would just hit them and I'd rather he hit me.  I just don't start arguements so I don't have to deal with that issue.

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
    • Be my friend on myspace!
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2005, 09:48:45 am »
Our humane society contacted our shelter and offered temporary emergency foster care for this very reason. They won't take the pets at the shelter, but I didn't want women to hesitate to get out of a dangerous situation just because of their pets. We now have a network set up where they can call us at any hour and we will take in the pets so the women and children can get to safety. We will hold them until they relocate, find new homes for them, or arrange transportation to a family member or friend in another city or state if necessary.
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principle difference between dog and man." -- Mark Twain

GYPSY JAZMINE

« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2005, 10:19:53 am »
I don't let mine do that...that would only add fuel to the fire.  My hubby would just hit them and I'd rather he hit me.  I just don't start arguements so I don't have to deal with that issue.
Lins, It would be a cold day in h*ll before I allowed my hubby to hit anyone here...I speak my mind as does my hubby...& we sometimes agree to disagree but we are still friends & partners at the end of the day...If I have said this once I have said it a hundred times in my life...If someone is not treating you right...LEAVE. ..Make a plan...bide your time...There are choices for you...E-mail me here at the group if you need someone to talk to or some ideas on how to change your life...Nobody else is going to change it for you....I am thinking of you.

GYPSY JAZMINE

« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2005, 10:22:23 am »
That is just AWESOME about the shelter!!!...I have done quite alot of research on battered woman & you wouldn't believe the number of woman who stay because of their animals...So very sad but a testement of women's loyalness to those they love.

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2005, 10:33:52 am »
He's never hit me...he yells and screams and threatens to do it...but has made it financially impossible to leave.  I've been trying to save the money forever but something always comes up that we have to "Save" from repossession or foreclosure. He spends a lot of time at the bar and doesn't care to come home to pay bills so they go away in a pile to deal with when he's off his binge.  That's been a few months.  Tells me to take care of all that stuff and yells at me if I do it wrong.  It got to be a vicious cycle so I just quit doing it.
I used to speak my mind...now when I even open my mouth to speak ... as I draw a breath to talk....he interupts with some temper tantrum and I just shut up and let it die down.  He's "beaten" me into submission and "broken" me of any resistance.  It's nice when he's not home cuz it's quiet and I can think.  Maybe that's one reason I stay...I'm basically living alone anyway.  :) 
It's getting time though to break loose...I will just need to sock some money away from now on.  Nothing's going to change and I'm just making him miserable and we're destroying each other. 
Thanks for your support.  It's tough some days.

GYPSY JAZMINE

« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2005, 10:42:04 am »
((((((((((Lins))))))))))...It sounds as if he has a drinking problem...Is this something new or has he always been this way?...My hubby & I used to spend alot of time in the bars years ago & I know firsthand that it does not make for a stable life...Now my hubby hasn't had a drink for almost 9 yrs....Me, I usually tip a few once a week whether I need it or not...lol...I used to worry about the bills too...He'd hit the bar on Friday night & usually come home with no check left...It was maddening, sickening, & I almost left...I felt the same as you do...If he hadn't stopped drinking there is no way we would have made it...What I am saying is I know how you feel & that's why I got so mad for you...It can change but he has to want to change...I wish you the best...I really do!...I am here for you if you'd like to talk off board...Just click on my name & it will take you to the site e-mail...Hugs to you lady & hang in there!!!