Author Topic: Yay, he's finally eating!  (Read 1946 times)

mama23+pyrs2

Yay, he's finally eating!
« on: August 21, 2007, 03:15:38 am »
Yukon is totally chowing down on his dinner right now. I feed them so late now cause they aren't interested earlier, and for him, usually not even then. But I think the pain meds are helping him. He's acted much happier today, hasn't been holding the foot up as much and walking better. I know it's just a temporary fix.. but I'm glad to see him getting a little relief anyway. Now just heal, heal, heal!

It's good to see him eat at least.

Offline London_Pyr_Lover

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Yay, he's finally eating!
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2007, 04:07:47 am »
http://Yay Yukon!Get better quickly so you can get back to wrestling with your sister eh!
 :D
My Sponsership page for my very first race!

Offline GoldenPyrs

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2007, 06:44:05 am »
That's great!  Yes, I'm sure that his appetite is improved b/c of the pain meds.  Pyrs are so darn stoic that I've seen it before with mine.  They won't whine or cry at all, but if their appetite drops off for more than a day or two, then it's a pretty sure sign that they're in pain.  Did you say yesterday that he's on Deramaxx?  If so, it's both a pain med and an anti-inflammatory and that combo really helps with joint pain.  I'm on them myself (just not Deramaxx  ;)) and it makes all of the difference in the world for comfort. 

BTW, Deramaxx can be kind of rough on the stomach, so if possible it's really best to give it with food.
Marie

And my pups:
Daisy a 9 y/o Golden/Lab mix
Sammy a 6-7(?) y/o Great Pyrenees adopted 3/07
Cassie a 3 y/o Pyr/Mystery Snuggle Bunny mix adopted 2/07

My angel girls waiting at the Bridge:
Cara 1989-2001 Great Pyrenees
Sally ? - 1993 Dobie(rescued '92)
Halley 2002-2006 Great Pyrenees

mama23+pyrs2

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2007, 08:15:00 pm »
That's great!  Yes, I'm sure that his appetite is improved b/c of the pain meds.  Pyrs are so darn stoic that I've seen it before with mine.  They won't whine or cry at all, but if their appetite drops off for more than a day or two, then it's a pretty sure sign that they're in pain.  Did you say yesterday that he's on Deramaxx?  If so, it's both a pain med and an anti-inflammatory and that combo really helps with joint pain.  I'm on them myself (just not Deramaxx  ;)) and it makes all of the difference in the world for comfort. 

BTW, Deramaxx can be kind of rough on the stomach, so if possible it's really best to give it with food.

Yeah, he's never made an sound, even when the Dr. was obviously hurting him by extending his leg..you could see it in his face but he wouldn't react..bless their heart. He's such a good boy. Yeah, he is on Deramaxx and it must really be helping with the pain..by last night he was even limping on it. I'm so glad it's helping but I'll be sad when he's out of it and he goes back to feeling like crap. :(

Does it mess with their heads at all? Cause he acts kinda loopy on the med and I wondered lol.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2007, 08:15:35 pm by mama2many »

Offline GoldenPyrs

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2007, 10:05:02 pm »
I know, that pyr pain tolerance is just out of this world.  Halley never gave so much as a whimper.  :'(  :'(  The only way that I could tell that she was in pain was by her breathing, the look in her eyes, and whether or not she'd eat and drink.  I've learned to watch for those things, b/c otherwise you usually can't tell with a pyr.

Last week we took Sammy into the vet to have his teeth cleaned and checked (he has dental problems from all of the years of neglect & malnutrition).  He'd had his teeth cleaned and a bad molar extracted in February by rescue and we'd had the vet check his teeth in May when he had his last vet visit and all was ok.  Meanwhile he's been eating dry food and never once has he tipped his head sideways as he was crunching to avoid a bad tooth (I know, b/c I've been watching).  Still at the vet check last week he had another bad tooth that had to be pulled, and it must have been hurting.  I felt awful, b/c we'd been watching for more problems, but he didn't show the slightest symptom and it hadn't showed up in May at the vet.  Anyway, the tooth was pulled last week and he's loving all of the canned food now.  Sam was on Deramaxx for about a week after the tooth was pulled and Halley was on it, also.  They both were lethargic, but that could be from the underlying problem (cancer and tooth extraction).  I found this web site that gives some info and it does list depression as a possible side effect, so maybe?  If it makes Yukon sleepy right now though, that would probably be a good thing since he's supposed to be resting.  I'd just make sure that he eats with his meds though.  My best friend's dog was on Deramaxx a few weeks ago and she developed some gastric problems.  I hope that this helps.

http://www.deramaxx.com/content/info.asp#link_8
Marie

And my pups:
Daisy a 9 y/o Golden/Lab mix
Sammy a 6-7(?) y/o Great Pyrenees adopted 3/07
Cassie a 3 y/o Pyr/Mystery Snuggle Bunny mix adopted 2/07

My angel girls waiting at the Bridge:
Cara 1989-2001 Great Pyrenees
Sally ? - 1993 Dobie(rescued '92)
Halley 2002-2006 Great Pyrenees

mama23+pyrs2

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2007, 01:59:33 am »
I know, that pyr pain tolerance is just out of this world.  Halley never gave so much as a whimper.  :'(  :'(  The only way that I could tell that she was in pain was by her breathing, the look in her eyes, and whether or not she'd eat and drink.  I've learned to watch for those things, b/c otherwise you usually can't tell with a pyr.

Last week we took Sammy into the vet to have his teeth cleaned and checked (he has dental problems from all of the years of neglect & malnutrition).  He'd had his teeth cleaned and a bad molar extracted in February by rescue and we'd had the vet check his teeth in May when he had his last vet visit and all was ok.  Meanwhile he's been eating dry food and never once has he tipped his head sideways as he was crunching to avoid a bad tooth (I know, b/c I've been watching).  Still at the vet check last week he had another bad tooth that had to be pulled, and it must have been hurting.  I felt awful, b/c we'd been watching for more problems, but he didn't show the slightest symptom and it hadn't showed up in May at the vet.  Anyway, the tooth was pulled last week and he's loving all of the canned food now.  Sam was on Deramaxx for about a week after the tooth was pulled and Halley was on it, also.  They both were lethargic, but that could be from the underlying problem (cancer and tooth extraction).  I found this web site that gives some info and it does list depression as a possible side effect, so maybe?  If it makes Yukon sleepy right now though, that would probably be a good thing since he's supposed to be resting.  I'd just make sure that he eats with his meds though.  My best friend's dog was on Deramaxx a few weeks ago and she developed some gastric problems.  I hope that this helps.

http://www.deramaxx.com/content/info.asp#link_8

Okay. I just gave it to him today for his first dose with his dinner, he knibbled, ate more than Yiska but not a lot...so hopefully that's enough. Well he acts kinda silly on it, not depressed or lethargic really, just different..but it could be a variety of things causing that, or him just feeling happier to have some relief of pain after 2 wks. He goes out to go potty and he disappears now, I call and call and nothing..but he doesn't bark like he used to so I don't know where he is lol. The other night I started to go out to look for him with a flashlight because he ALWAYS comes when you call him, and I thought where on earth did he go? Who knows haha, but he finally came back.

He is as good as gold though. He comes inside and goes to his crate and lays right back down. That's too bad about Sammy's tooth, geez. We needs some pics of your gang one of these days! I don't know that I've ever seen them!
« Last Edit: August 22, 2007, 02:00:42 am by mama2many »