Author Topic: With more than one dog...  (Read 3405 times)

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
With more than one dog...
« on: July 26, 2005, 01:47:05 pm »
is it better to have the same breed or different breeds? Both the same gender or different?
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

Offline GrumpyBunny

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
Re: With more than one dog...
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2005, 02:27:35 pm »
I don't know about breeds, but most of what I have ever heard says that different genders are easier...
*Founder of the Official Suspicious Chicken Fan Club*

Offline Carolyn

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2005, 02:40:47 pm »
We always try to do boy/girl. When Billy's horse passed on, a mare,  I adopted a gelding(male) & I had to separate the 2 horses. Chazzy & Kiya took some time to bond & to this day Kiya respects Chazzys space.
Carolyn
Carolyn

GR8DAME

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2005, 04:03:16 pm »
We started out with all the same breed (dobies) and all males, none altered until we threw in a dobie female, then everyone got nuetered. -Except the people. Now I have two males both nuetered and one female spayed, all of different breeds. All of the things that I read and all of the rescue sites recomend opposite sex in the same house though. I have never had a problem with fighting in the house I defer to those that have more experience and figure that I'm just lucky.
Stella

Offline dober_gurl

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2005, 04:15:11 pm »
I've heard that it's also good to have oppisite gender. But so everything is good in our house, we have 2 female dobies, 1 male mini daschund, 1 male mini poodle, and 1 male GSD mix. Everyone gets along fine.
"None left to rescue, none left to buy, none left to suffer, none left to die. None to be beaten, none to be kicked...all must be loved and all must be fixed"

Maggie-Doberman
Molly-Papillon
Mickey-Mutt
Collin-Kitty
Sunny-Amazon Parrot
Squishy-Guinea Pig
Harper/Lyric-Rats

Icerotti

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2005, 04:34:08 pm »
I have had
female/female rotti
female/female/male rotti
female/male rotti
male rotti/ male Vizsla(present)
They all drove me nuts!!! They all worked out fine.
Although indroducing opposite sex is better especially if one dog is older. That is why we wanted a female V-but it did not work out, none left in the litters.
The last combo took about a week for everyone to work our the "issues"-one big happy family now.
All boys and girls were neutered/spayed except the V who will be getting done soon.

Offline mastiffmommy

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2005, 04:36:14 pm »
I think I have done it all. Had same breed, same gender. Different breeds, same gender. Same breed, different gender. Different breed, different gender.

Both when it comes to dogs and horses, and cats for that matter.

With giant breeds, the plus I can see that they play a bit different and it is easier for them to play with someone their own size. Other than that I cant really see that same breed should be of an advantage.

Usually different gender is easier, especially if you alter. If not well you have the heat/pregnancy issue. Mind you Zeus is an altered male and he and Hera were fighting badly as most of you know, so different gender is by no means a guarantee that they will get along. I have also had same sex dogs and horses that get along super well. So I think it depends on the individual.

Marit
what the lion is to a cat, the mastiff is to a dog

Icerotti

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2005, 04:41:11 pm »
 Mind you Zeus is an altered male and he and Hera were fighting badly as most of you know, so different gender is by no means a guarantee that they will get along.
Marit
Marit you are so right. The last combo Male/ female rotti the female ruled the roost. I actually had a vet tell she should of had "balls"lol

Offline K9ldy00

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2005, 04:43:13 pm »
I had a male and a female then Ken moved in with a male and a female and together we have gotten another female. Male female Siberians and Coonhounds and a  female Pointer cross. They all get along well, but when a little skirmish breaks out it's always the females. They are all neutered.
Dog Mom to
Dozer, Tealk,Zander,Zeva, Tesla

Offline mastiffmommy

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2005, 04:47:15 pm »
Mind you Zeus is an altered male and he and Hera were fighting badly as most of you know, so different gender is by no means a guarantee that they will get along.
Marit
Marit you are so right. The last combo Male/ female rotti the female ruled the roost. I actually had a vet tell she should of had "balls"lol

Buffy should have had balls too lol..... she was the leading lady here, through altered and un altered males and females she was the queen. And noone ever questioned that, well they might have but she let them know from get go that, she would not put up with any silly things. She was good to both genders, no matter if they were altered or not.

Marit
what the lion is to a cat, the mastiff is to a dog