Author Topic: wolfhound, dane question  (Read 2198 times)

Offline matt

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
wolfhound, dane question
« on: July 30, 2005, 05:00:06 pm »
I was just curious...thos e of you that have a full grown wolfhound or dane...how much does your gentle giant weigh? I ask because I called up an IW breeder and she told me that her males average 180 and her femals average 150lbs...a dane rescuer told me something similar...i've been seeing several different weight ranges on the internet and was just looking for a more personal response....al so, how tall are your fences? i've been given various answers, from 5' to 6', to a small white picket fence...(i realize that training your dog is the key, once again i'm just looking for a more personal response...)

thanks,

matt

Offline Lesli310

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
Re: wolfhound, dane question
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2005, 08:31:15 pm »
I think Toester is small for a Dane but she's 19 months old and 32 inches at the shoulder and between 118 and 126 she's been up and down lately. My friend has a female who's only 11 months and about 28 inches and 99 pounds. We have a regular 4 foot chain link fence but no one ever jumps it. Although if Toester could figure out how to jump and go forward at the same time she very well could. My friend had a 6 foot privacy fence.

Offline Anky

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2005, 04:43:19 am »
Sanity's going to be a year old on August 17th, so he still has plenty of growing to do.  He was a late bloomer and only started packing on inches recently.  He's about 32-33" at the shoulder.  Haven't measured him recently, but when he WAS measured at 31" his chin just barely hit the top of the table, and now it is well above it (Who knows, maybe his neck is just growing).  I think he's at 120 right now.  He's really heavily muscled, I think he's a throwback to the Euros way back in his line.   He never really got the gangly all legs phase.

At my fiance's house, where he spent most of his puppy hood and where we are on weekends, we have a 4 ft chainlink fence.  At my grandparen'ts house, where we reside now, we have no fence, and as long as I'm out with him he doesn't go anywhere.  If I leave him, he'll go visiting. ::)

Ang

BPO's Official Mistress of Mirth

Charter Member of the Official Suspicious Chicken Fan Club

"And you will know us by the trail of skank."

Offline Jason

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2005, 09:22:18 am »
Oreo is almost 9 and is the heaviest he has ever been at just under 140 lbs. Most of his life he has been around 130 lbs. He is considered small for a male, but that is just weight. His height is rather average at around 35 in.

My old house had a 30 in. chain link fence. He never once challenged it. My current house has a 5 foot wood fence in back, but he is a "free range" Dane and usually just follows me around. He rarely wants to be outside unless I am though.

When I was looking for a rescue dog, I heard of Danes clearing 6 foot fences easily. These were generally from Danes who were up for adoption because they had "behavioral problems," but I think they were just neglected. Lots of Danes just like to be around their people and don't like to be isolated in the backyard.

Jason