Author Topic: XXL crate anyone else own this monster  (Read 7844 times)

Offline brigid67

• BPO Guru
  • Dream And Desire
    • View Profile
Re: XXL crate anyone else own this monster
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2005, 03:33:19 pm »
at night willow is sleeping either with me or my daughter...so crating at night will not be a huge deal..I really need the crate for the times when none is at home.  I will probably be going back to work in a couple of weeks and then she will need to be in the crate for a few hours...

smohr

« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2005, 04:51:25 pm »
How big is the crate and where did you get it???  I have one on loan to a friend that is 5 ft high x 6 ft long x 5 ft wide.  I had to order it, but forget where I ordered from 4 years ago. 

Offline brigid67

• BPO Guru
  • Dream And Desire
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2005, 07:17:24 pm »
I have the xxl crate by midwest....I ordered it off the web.  There are several places that carry it.  I googled colssal crate.  Anyway the place I got mine from was futurepet.com

Offline mastiffmommy

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2005, 01:13:21 am »
smohr.... I am not sure about the dimensions but the colossal crate is I think the biggest you can get, without a special order. I think most dog catalogs that carry midwest have it.

I have the crates, two of them that are the same size as the colossal just not quite as tall. I used them along with lots of other crates when I groomed, my dogs are not crated. When we have to leave for a few hours I still like to put a bed in our bathroom for Galahad, but other than that, they own the beds and the couches.

I can imagine little Willow in her big crate  :D and I can hear the awe in her moms voice lol........ baby is groing up and be a big girl  ;D

Marit
what the lion is to a cat, the mastiff is to a dog

Offline Stephanie

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2005, 01:16:28 am »
I have two XL crates I got at super walmart but now that I here about these colossal crates I'm afraid mine aren't going to be big enough and they weren't cheap, where do you get these huge ones?

Offline mastiffmommy

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2005, 01:24:36 am »
I cant remember which of the catalogs carry them, but my first try would be www.petedge.co m they also have wonderful cheap toys, also the dogs outfitter, hmmm think the addy is www.dogsoutfit ter.com (if not you can google it) also www.ryanspet.c om there are several more, but these three usually have good prices

Marit
what the lion is to a cat, the mastiff is to a dog

Offline kildeskennel

• Paw-meister
  • Beautiful beauty
    • View Profile
    • Kildes Kennel
« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2005, 10:07:39 am »
LOL!!!!  We have one too!  3 would just not look right in the house!  I will have to see if I can find the pictures we took after we set it up.  Our kids SLEPT in it!  Thought that was way to cool!  Door open of course and By choice!  LOL!!!!!  The pictures could be misleading I suppose!  LOL!
Happiness comes of the capacity to feel deeply, to enjoy simply, to think freely, to risk life, to be needed.
Storm Jameson

Offline greek4

• Majestic Member
  • Kole with Maia, Baxter, Rocco, and Cody
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2005, 11:22:48 am »
My friend's little girl thinks it is great to get into Rocco's cage and it is a bonus if she can con him into getting in there with her.  She knows not to get into Maia's since Maia is protective of toys and we don't know how she would do with a kid in her area.  Rocco doesn't think it is too cool being shut in his cage anymore since he has been free with access to his cage for 1 year.  But since the house is on the market, he is caged during the day but free at all other times.

Maia loves her cage just for the fact she gets a treat every time she goes in.  She knows after going out at night, to get in her bed.  Sometimes she will go to her cage before our last out of the night.
Thanks,

Emily and 1 husband, 1 boy, 1 on the way, and 4 crazy dogs

Kiahpyr

« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2005, 11:38:58 am »
Our crate adventure. This got longer then I thought.

I got my crate off of ebay. It's a wire one. I had it for about a month and Kiah did fine in it for about two weeks. Then she got out. She actually got one of the latches undone and squeezed through. I have no idea how she got through the opening. The crate door was bent. My husband fixed it and we put different latches on it. She got out again. She pulled so hard with her paw that she pulled one of the sides down. The crate is one that can be folded down to suitcase size, so it must have easy for her. Once again my husband fixed the crate with cable ties. By this time Kiah knew she could get out and started barking all the time pawing at her crate. She set our security alarm off three times by her barking and banging her crate around. We would leave the house and come home with Kiah soaked. She barked enough that she drooled and her crate and the floor outside her crate was wet. We actually video taped her. She bark for 45 minutes until she exhausted herself she had to lay down. Then she got out again and almost killed herself. The crate was bent a lot that time, so needless to say we don't use a crate anymore. I also think she was telling us that she can be responsible.

Kiah has been good not being crated. She's never chewed on anything or had an accident in the house. Granted I stay at home, but I get out of the house in the mornings. The most Kiah is alone is between 4-6 hours during the day and of course at night. She doesn't sleep in my room or I would never get any sleep. She's a night owl and protrols the house for us.

Offline mixedupdog

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 28, 2005, 09:10:15 pm »
I have the biggest Midwest crate, too- the metal tag on it says it's the Midwest 2000.  It was great when Earnest was housebroken, but not reliable about destruction. 
I got it at the Boulder Humane Society, they have a store that sells used training equipment.  $50!  Craigslist and Freecycle are also great places to find things like that, I got 2 6X6X6' outdoor kennels for free, and an 18X6X6' one really cheap, I put all the panels together in a big circle for a play yard for the boys.
Just a tip, for the big wire crates, I reinforced everywhere the panels came together with cable connecters, and put two big carabiners around the wire in the place where the tray slides out so it couldn't move.  Just a little extra safety.