Author Topic: Miles is NOT on my list of Favorite Dogs  (Read 9111 times)

Offline patrick

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
    • Great Pyrenees
Re: Miles is NOT on my list of Favorite Dogs
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2008, 04:38:02 pm »
Also instead of (or in addition to) a treat at the door try giving an awesome treat once he is in the house.  Like a big soup or knuckle bone or a pig ear etc  It has to have more value than the walk outside but you want to change his thinking to OH BOY I'm going home!

Offline GreatPyr

• Leader of the Pack
  • Bear
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2008, 05:04:36 pm »
I have also noticed the many Pyrs up for adoption,the Pyr rescue in my area is full and turning dogs away.I spoke to the owner of the rescue to gather some info and she told me a boat load of what happens why people give them up or abandon them.I will have to say...some will hate me for this...these dogs are bred to Guard livestock,meaning they are normally on large acres and or pastures,lots of room...not saying they can not be house pets but for the most part they need room to run and a job to do.Most of the ones given up according to rescue are bought for apartment dwellers..they get to big and rowdy,some are living in neighborhoods and they are known for being a barker and sub life is not the place for a major barker,a pyr pup is fluffy and adorable and then they grow to be large size and no longer wanted or have room.These are all the things that the rescue had told me.

IMO they are counrty dweller dogs,they need room to run,a job to do to keep them happy to the standard of there breed(what they are bred for)lots of people have great success making them calm house dogs so not knocking that at all..BUT for the most part they need acres to run/Guard on(job to do).Dailey walks on a leash IMO is not enough for a dog of this breeding in adolecent years..maybe when they are older and more settled..even then I think they need room.

Any one getting a dog should consider living conditions,do i live in a crowded neighborhood.. do i get a breed thats a well known barker by bred standard alone..do i live in an apartment..wil l it be crowded and he in the way when he is grown..IMO you get the bred that best suites your lifestyle/living arrangmets for both you and the dog to be really happy.

So IMO part of your problem is not a bad miles,its what I just described above.BUT you love miles and want to keep him so you will have to make the best of it and try and work with him on certain issues,You have to be commended though for not just getting rid of him ,you are willing to do what it takes..thats a great doggy owner.

« Last Edit: February 05, 2008, 05:11:50 pm by GreatPyr »
Max-3 Year old Golden/Lab cross
Buddy-8 Year old English Cocker Spaniel
Bear-4 month old Great Pyrenees
Tigger-barn kitty
Shiloh-9 year old Painthorse

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2008, 05:43:41 pm »
IMO they are counrty dweller dogs,they need room to run,a job to do to keep them happy to the standard of there breed

Yes, they need a job to do just like any working breed BUT they absolutely don't need a room to run. They sleep or "pretend sleeping" most of the time.
Job doesn't have to be guarding a livestock. It can be another small dog, cat, birds, lizzard etc. Backpacking, hiking and carting are jobs as well and Pyrs thrive on it. :)
« Last Edit: February 05, 2008, 05:49:21 pm by People Whisperer »
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

Offline Bubbalove

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2008, 05:47:42 pm »
Send him to me! I'll take him in a heartbeat! What you're dealing with is small potatoes.  :-\ Sorry guys! But there has been such an influx of Gr Pyrs of late = over 1050 on Petfinder alone. And it breaks my heart!

I'm really getting tired of talking to people. They pay no never mind.

When anyone even starts to think of adoption I would pray that they do their background check. Research the breed. Is it right for you? Are YOU right for them?

Again = sorry Guys. But heartbreak overwhelms everything else right now. One more went to the Other Side today.

I am broken. My heart is on the ground.

I hope this was not directed toward my comment about "getting rid of him"~~~in my post!

I am like the others...if you had been a fly on my wall you would have seen that Kana has put me through a lot in his formative years...not entirely b/c of the breed, but b/c of adolescence that others here have talked about. 

There is NO WAY in HE** I would think of giving my sweet, challenging, sometimes smelly but mostly a bundle of muffin love, dog. 

NO WAY.

Kristen
Kana - 4 y/o Japanese Akita
Kita - 8/2005 crossed Rainbow Bridge
       10 y/o American Akita

Offline patrick

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
    • Great Pyrenees
« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2008, 05:51:40 pm »
Boy would I disagree  Pyrs do not need acres to run and a flock to guard.  I remember one person coming up to me at a show and remarking that Pyrs are America's best kept secret- and she was referring to them being a house dog.  I have had numerous breeds over the years and I find them incredibly easy to live with and puppyhood a breeze compared to many other breeds. My yard is tiny. There is a big problem with them barking at night as they are a guard breed- easily controlled by bringing them in at night.  

Now puppyhood is not for everyone and Miles is a puppy  This is the age where misbehaviors appear and you also need a way to burn off puppy energy. Can be difficult to do if you work or don't have a fenced yard. But give me a Pyr anyday- if you offered me say a lab or golden puppy or other high energy pup I would turn you down flat- I am too old to deal with that and want peace and quiet in my life.

According to Karen Overall, nationally known behaviorist, the majority of dogs of all breeds are relinguished when they hit their teens because owners don't know how or don't want to deal with the behavior issues at this age.  And if you look at all breeds in shelters the pits and lab types outnumber any other breed by far.  

Offline Pyr Heaven

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
    • My Dogster Page
« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2008, 06:02:51 pm »
IMO they are counrty dweller dogs,they need room to run,a job to do to keep them happy to the standard of there breed

Yes, they need a job to do just like any working breed BUT they absolutely don't need a room to run. They sleep or "pretend sleeping" most of the time.
Job doesn't have to be guarding a livestock. It can be another small dog, cat, birds, lizzard etc. Backpacking, hiking and carting are jobs as well and Pyrs thrive on it. :)

Agreed. I was thinking of getting Miles a backpack soon!!!hehehe
*~*~Samantha~*~*
Milwaukee, Wi

----Miles----
Great Pyrenees

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2008, 06:10:43 pm »
Here is Julie's post from a while ago with working Pyr, LOL!

http://www.bigpawsonly.com/index.php/topic,20052.0.html

"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

Offline GreatPyr

• Leader of the Pack
  • Bear
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2008, 06:59:14 pm »
Boy would I disagree  Pyrs do not need acres to run and a flock to guard.  I remember one person coming up to me at a show and remarking that Pyrs are America's best kept secret- and she was referring to them being a house dog.  I have had numerous breeds over the years and I find them incredibly easy to live with and puppyhood a breeze compared to many other breeds. My yard is tiny. There is a big problem with them barking at night as they are a guard breed- easily controlled by bringing them in at night.  

Now puppyhood is not for everyone and Miles is a puppy  This is the age where misbehaviors appear and you also need a way to burn off puppy energy. Can be difficult to do if you work or don't have a fenced yard. But give me a Pyr anyday- if you offered me say a lab or golden puppy or other high energy pup I would turn you down flat- I am too old to deal with that and want peace and quiet in my life.

According to Karen Overall, nationally known behaviorist, the majority of dogs of all breeds are relinguished when they hit their teens because owners don't know how or don't want to deal with the behavior issues at this age.  And if you look at all breeds in shelters the pits and lab types outnumber any other breed by far.  

I am going on info I have read in numerous places about the breed and also from breeders and what the rescue has to say.

As far as Personal Exeprience all i have is the 3 pups i took in and raised and the owners of the male and female pyrs,I have never owned one i am going on research alone and my pups behaviour at the moment.Even at 13 weeks,with let outs into the small dog fenced lot and numerous leash walks on the farm is not enough for Bear and he is only 13 weeks.I am just glad we are moving and he will have more room to romp/explore.
I really hope what you are saying about the breed is the case because i would like to keep Bear mostly in the house when he is bigger,we will have to see how things go.

I use to have labs,I agree really hyper..I need a lazed dog..ha..ha..N ow our Golden/Lab cross is as laid back as they come,maybe its the combo..ha..ha. .

« Last Edit: February 05, 2008, 07:06:49 pm by GreatPyr »
Tigger-barn kitty

Offline GreatPyr

• Leader of the Pack
  • Bear
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2008, 07:10:09 pm »

I dont think they have to Guard goats or sheep in particular,I meant a job to do looking after something since this is what there breeding is made of.I guess us humans could be that something to ;D
Tigger-barn kitty

Offline Pyr Heaven

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
    • My Dogster Page
« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2008, 07:26:57 pm »

I dont think they have to Guard goats or sheep in particular,I meant a job to do looking after something since this is what there breeding is made of.I guess us humans could be that something to ;D

Also agreed. ;D hahaha. Currently, Miles "thinks" his job is to alert me when someone's car alarm goes off, or the neighbor is home. hehehe He just found his ferocious pyr bark a couple months ago, and he sure knows how to use it! I love it!! (I'm not sure the neighbors could say the same)...but it sort of makes me feel safe. :)
*~*~Samantha~*~*
Milwaukee, Wi

----Miles----
Great Pyrenees

Lyn

« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2008, 07:53:33 pm »
I so know how you feel. When Lola was that age she had me so frustrated that I ended up cracking a tooth from clenching my teeth together. LOL

With tons of persistance and age she did get better.