Author Topic: Have an idea and I want your opinions...  (Read 2996 times)

cricket36580

Have an idea and I want your opinions...
« on: May 30, 2006, 02:08:40 pm »
as my BPO family.  And that means you have to be kind AND constructive.

A little background first...My last day at the h*ll hole is Fri.  I thought I was going to work for someone else and that isn't panning out.  What I'd do if I had my druthers is to work for myself but I have to be able to support my habits and make a little money too.  So...a friend of mine has suggested that I start doing "Purse Parties".  If you didn't know already, I design and make purses, make up bags, etc...as well as dog beds, collars, etc...  I don't make anything you would find in any store and the designs usually tend to be funky, bizarre, and just plain different.  (I make a purse out of records...)  Anyway, what do you think??? 

Going to craft shows cost money and time. and I'm short on both.  I have too many critters to travel much and I don't travel well anyway.  Getting into boutiques is almost as much fun as having a root canal and they always want the cookie cutter stuff anyway. 

Help me to think of pitfalls and ideas pretty please...

k2campbell

Re: Have an idea and I want your opinions...
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2006, 02:26:30 pm »
I think it's a great idea, given the fact you take into account that starting a business of your own, it usually takes at least a year (if not more) to turn ANY profit after all your expenses...

Do you have any friends/family that would know of anyone who would own such a boutique to sell your stuff in?  Maybe that's a start?  Or even if someone you know knew someone that worked in one, that could help?

Another thing you could start with is selling on Ebay (don't know if you already do that) but if so seems a lot of crafty people have turned their businesses into thriving ones simply by starting out on Ebay...

Don't know if my comments are of any help, but I truly wish you the best of luck! ;D  Keep us posted!

Offline smsmith

• Leader of the Pack
  • Einstein has changed my life -- for the good!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2006, 02:45:32 pm »
I suggest working part-time somewhere -- enough to cover your essentials, while marketing your products to every independently-owned boutique you can find!  Try making a brochure with lots of pictures and sending along a "sample" key-chain holder or something.

The pet-side would be the easiest I would imagine. 

I don't remember where you live, but even if there aren't a lot of boutiques willing to allow your wares don't be afraid to send out a package to stores in other areas.  Maybe you could enlist US to help you out.  I'd love to give it a go -- no commission, no nothing!

The most important thing I think is to create a really professional brochure (glossy, heavy paper -- with all color).  And including a sample will give people something small to lay on a counter and see people's reactions.

You go girl.
Sarah

Offline NoDogNow

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2006, 02:46:12 pm »
Also consider how much classified advertising might be in some targeted crafty magazines.  It might be less than you think. 

I'm working on 'back of the book' classified ad stuff right now for one of my magazines, and a 20 word ad is only 63.00 a month for people to advertise their in truck dog crate system, or their training doodad, or their hunting kennel, or their bird call--whatever thingy they've come up with--in our classified ads section.  Most of our advertisers are pretty happy with their results; they have a brief description, a number/website, and they do enough business to keep them in spending money.

I'll bet you can think of a targeted audience magazine or two that you could put minimum word ads that would net you some customers.  Who do you think would buy your purses, and what magazines do you think they read?
Sheryl, Dogless and sad

cricket36580

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2006, 04:42:59 pm »
Unfortunately purses don't do well on Ebay.  And my stuff is so custom or unique that you really have to see it to appreciate it.  The dog beds and covers and cvollars are definately going on Ebay though.  Keep the ideas/thoughts coming!!!  Thanks...

Offline kathryn

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2006, 07:16:59 pm »
I have a friend that is selling the Lia Sofia jewelry and is doing jewelry parties that are kind of like tupperware parties.  Could you set up something like that for friends and family to start out with?  You could have samples there for everyone to look at and handle and then take orders.  That's all I can think of right now.

Kat
Kaila - Belgian Malinois
Shiner - Malinois x Ridgeback
Toulouse, Cayenne, Raven - DSH

Due to recent budget cuts and the rising cost of electricity, gas and oil, as well as current market conditions, the Light at the End of the Tunnel has been turned off. We apologize for the inconvenience

doggylover

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2006, 07:19:18 pm »
I have a friend that is selling the Lia Sofia jewelry and is doing jewelry parties that are kind of like tupperware parties.  Could you set up something like that for friends and family to start out with?  You could have samples there for everyone to look at and handle and then take orders.  That's all I can think of right now.

Kat
Ooh that's a good idea!  I think it's great that you are doing this.  Lots of people want to do that kind of thing, but never do. 
 :D

Offline Stacey

• Grand Master
  • Tonka
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2006, 07:58:16 pm »
Maybe you could print up some kind of diagrams with basic patterns for different purses (designs, sizes, styles, strap length, etc) along with a choice of materials and accents and then let people design their own "one-of-a-kind" purse at tupperware-type parties by picking the style/design, colors and accessories.  You could go make/create the orders and then in (insert appropriate time period) they would have their own creation with your company name and/or logo somewhere on the bag.
I would totally be into something like this, and I just asked my 21 yr old sister and she said that it would be something she and her friends would have a great time with.  I think it sounds like a great idea!
I am kind of a big deal!

Offline kathryn

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2006, 07:58:17 pm »
One other idea that popped into my head.  We have the large Houston Reliant Dog Show that happens around here every year and they have tables set up for vendors.  Maybe you could get a table and sell your stuff at a small dog show in your area. 

Kat
Kaila - Belgian Malinois
Shiner - Malinois x Ridgeback
Toulouse, Cayenne, Raven - DSH

Due to recent budget cuts and the rising cost of electricity, gas and oil, as well as current market conditions, the Light at the End of the Tunnel has been turned off. We apologize for the inconvenience

cricket36580

« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2006, 05:43:19 am »
Thanks again!  I've given some thought to going to shows but there are only 2 locally.  I'd have to travel to any others.  Eventually I would LOVE to get into shows.  It would be well worth the entry fee just to be there.

I really like the design your own idea.  I'll have to give that some thought....

Offline Rachel

• BPO Guru
  • Sophie
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2006, 07:39:26 am »
check out www.etsy.com  its ebay for crafters and is a wonderful site.  Also look at www.craftster. org forum. There is a whole section about how to sell your products.
Rachel and Sophie

My new venture...
www.seasidequi lts.etsy.com

My blog for Sophie, crafting, and life in general
www.seasidequi lts.com/blog