Author Topic: Advice on introducing new dog to cats....  (Read 1385 times)

Offline gypsymom

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Advice on introducing new dog to cats....
« on: November 16, 2006, 02:10:00 am »
Hi everyone!

Today is Gypsy's vet appt. and as long as we get the OK from the vet we will start introducing her to our 2 very spoiled, and just a little bit PO'd, cats. We have had Gypsy 5 days and have basically just kept the cats outside or in the basement. My older cat, Buddha, has spent the past 5 days taunting her through the sliding glass door. He likes to just stand as close as possible to the glass and smack at her through the window. Gypsy will do a little play-bow and bark but a couple times has given a little bite to the wood at the bottom of the door. She is fairly easily corrected with a "leave it". I am able to walk her on leash right past the cats when we go out and she seems less interested now than 5 days ago. I am more concerned that Buddha will scratch her and hurt her than I am for the cat as she seems to just want to check them out.

Sorry I'm long.... So, my question is- how did you introduce yours? Is there a right way to do this or just whatever works best for them? Any advice would be appreciated. I just don't want anyone hurt!

Thanks, Cara

Offline LibbyP

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
Re: Advice on introducing new dog to cats....
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2006, 02:31:43 am »
Hi Cara, this is what I did when we brought Libby into our home which we have 2 crazy Siamese, hope it helps ~ if you haven't done this already trim your cats front and back nails(so if they do connect with Gypsy, they will still scratch but not get stuck and rip ~ hopefully) introduce one cat at a time, for short times, make dog free zones use a baby gate or latch hook on the doors so the cats can get away if needed, always supervise, put your cat food up and litter where Gypsy cannot get it(dogs LLLLove cat crap ???) Libby learned really quick not to bug the cats. Don't expect them to be best buddies they might never like each other but respect each others space, hope this helps alittle :)
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. ~ Will Rogers

mama to ~Libby 6.5yr E.Mastiff
         Stormy 2yr Boston Terrier
         RIP my sweet 'old man' Hoover (1993-2007)

Offline gypsymom

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Re: Advice on introducing new dog to cats....
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2006, 05:42:17 am »
Thank you. Trimming their nails should be fun, lol! That is a great suggestion and we will do that! As long as nobody gets hurt, I'll be happy. And yes, I noticed how much she wanted a kitty-crap sandwich, we took care of that and then found her snacking on a hairball present my cat left me today!  :o Gotta love 'em!