Author Topic: need kid advice...  (Read 6390 times)

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
need kid advice...
« on: May 14, 2007, 06:13:24 am »
i need advice again  :-\  i'd like to decorate aiden's room (.....again.... since he destroyed everything i put in there LAST time) and i'm looking for ideas of things i can LITERALLY make aiden-proof.  for example, a night light that has a screw that goes into the middle of the socket where the cover would normally screw in, etc.  things i can put in there, that serve a purpose (or decorate) but there's NO chance he can get it off the wall, or out the socket, etc.  i was looking also at figurines that i might be able to put in there since i saw a program on animal planet where the woman had a really nice house with nick nacks and was raising two leopard kittens (i think) and when asked how she did it, she stated she glued it down.  hm..  maybe, but i wanted to get advice from you guys first!  i had wall stickers on the walls, but one night (yeah, at night) he ripped them off the walls and they all became casualties of aiden, also.
steffanie in atlanta

aiden (4), tristan (2), & maya (born sept. 17th)
axle-140ish-lb akita (4)
peanut-5lb, 11 months chihuahua
[img width= height= alt=Image Hosted by ImageShack.us]http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/3339/alltogethernowme6.jpg[/img]

Offline morph's mom

• Big Paw Certified
  • Morpheus
    • View Profile
Re: need kid advice...
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2007, 06:30:19 am »
hahahah  sorry But I feel your pain.  Mason is the same way but not quite as bad.  You need my services lol.  After Mason started learning how to "redecorate" his room Neccessity became the mother of invention.  I made some life sized character decorations for his room, that were indesructable.  They were nailed to the wall and he couldnt get them off.  I saw the show that you were talking about with the figureines super glued down.  It seemed to work great for her.  But I redecorate wayyy to much for that.  PM me if you want to know more about my projects.  Dont really want to post it to the world ya know  ;) ;)
Morpheus Mastidane 1 yr

A. J. Keeshound  3 yr

Dogs are really people with short legs in fur coats

"No one appreciates the very special genius of your conversation as the dog does." - Christopher Morley

"The average dog is a nicer person than the average person." - Andrew A. Rooney

Icerotti

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2007, 06:35:00 am »
This a really great glue.....http://www.gorillaglue.com/home.htm

My godson likes to decorate like that too. He ended up with an empty room for awhile  ::)

Offline morph's mom

• Big Paw Certified
  • Morpheus
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2007, 06:40:18 am »
OMG if duct tape wont fix it gorilla glue will.  That suff ROXES.  It is like super glue on steroids.  I love it.
Morpheus Mastidane 1 yr

A. J. Keeshound  3 yr

Dogs are really people with short legs in fur coats

"No one appreciates the very special genius of your conversation as the dog does." - Christopher Morley

"The average dog is a nicer person than the average person." - Andrew A. Rooney

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2007, 06:51:34 am »
we have done the empty room thing for a WHILE now.  we tried to reintroduce one thing at a time..  yeah.  needless to say, instead of a toddler bed, we have a queen size bed with just the boxsprings.  no frame, no headboard.  he managed to pull the tubing off the box springs and pull all the stuffing out from under it.  his dresser was screwed IN 2 studs with 4-4" screws and he ripped it out (so was his toddler bed, but like i said we removed it).  you tell me how he does it and i'll love you forever.  i've tried everything i can think of, and i'd be happy if his room would just not look like a turquoise prison cell.

we tried screwing the picture frames into the wall.  actually, also into studs.  he ripped the frame (wood and semi expensive) apart, broke the glass, and ruined the picture.  i've even tried hanging things high up.  for example, we had a crab net with books / toys in it, and he managed to use his toddler bed (which we removed after this) to climb ONTO the window sill and then jumped up, grabbed it, and pulled it down.  i caught him doing this when i put it up a second time.  he also ripped a nemo balloon down.  both things were hanging about 6-6 1/2 feet off the ground.  i have no idea how he got to the balloon, as it was on the opposite corner as the window and the dresser (window is on one wall, dresser is on the next wall far corner, and balloon was on the next wall from that opposite corner so there was at least one wall between each thing.)

i really feel bad about his room being empty except a bed and a dresser that we can't use (we had child locks on it and he opened it, kicked the bottoms of the drawers out so i managed to fix it and nail the drawers shut so it's just there for decoration now).  i really want it to be a "nice" room that's presentable so when our family says "where's your room, aiden?" we don't have to explain why it's like it is.

morph's mom, i'd LOVE to know how you did it!

p.s.-  as a side note, he's only in his room from about 9:30pm to 7:30am (maybe 8am), and is freakily silent as he is doing this, so we have no idea if he's sleeping or destroying things.  unfortunately if we check if he's destroying things, he wakes up and is up for the day if it's after 5am, and if it's before 5am he screams for an hour and a half or more.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2007, 06:56:07 am by schelmischekitty »
steffanie in atlanta

axle-140ish-lb akita (4)
[img width= height= alt=Image Hosted by ImageShack.us]http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/3339/alltogethernowme6.jpg[/img]

mama23+pyrs2

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2007, 07:35:31 am »
I sure hope you get a girl this time lol. :o :o :-X

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2007, 07:41:37 am »
me too.  ironically, after hubby brought tristan home from being in mississippi for a week, it's all turned around.  i got aiden to be a complete angel(except in his bedroom) and he's stopped kicking, hitting, biting, etc.  all we have to stop now is the pushing and not sharing with him.  but now tristan is being a butt head, hitting, pinching, biting (all this with aiden AND the dogs) starting fights when aiden is just watching TV and not bothering him AT ALL, etc.  i completely got onto hubby earlier b/c i told him he let tristan get away with too much down there.  naturally he denies it. 

then i see girls...  they've all been so well behaved.  even my little sister who's about to be 2 (yes, my dad is weird, he had a baby when he was 47 with my step mom who is only about 7 years older than me) is an angel on her worst days.  and you know what, you never hear anything like this from people who have girls...   ???
« Last Edit: May 14, 2007, 07:43:56 am by schelmischekitty »
steffanie in atlanta

axle-140ish-lb akita (4)

mama23+pyrs2

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2007, 10:22:43 am »
me too.  ironically, after hubby brought tristan home from being in mississippi for a week, it's all turned around.  i got aiden to be a complete angel(except in his bedroom) and he's stopped kicking, hitting, biting, etc.  all we have to stop now is the pushing and not sharing with him.  but now tristan is being a butt head, hitting, pinching, biting (all this with aiden AND the dogs) starting fights when aiden is just watching TV and not bothering him AT ALL, etc.  i completely got onto hubby earlier b/c i told him he let tristan get away with too much down there.  naturally he denies it. 

then i see girls...  they've all been so well behaved.  even my little sister who's about to be 2 (yes, my dad is weird, he had a baby when he was 47 with my step mom who is only about 7 years older than me) is an angel on her worst days.  and you know what, you never hear anything like this from people who have girls...   ???

Awww, yea you need a break from that testosterone. Girls seem to get harder as they get older and easier (maybe) when they are small. Though, my friend with the 4 kids (only one of which is a girl), definitely prefers boys haha. Her daughter is 4 and one of those typical girls that talks non stop, throws HORRIBLE tantrums about everything, the whining, you name it. In her opinion her boys have been much easier. But then again, all boys are different and yours are definitely tough. Funny that you mention about Aiden being an angel without Tristan around because I also just discovered that is how my Jude is. He is a mighty handful, wears me out to no end, and then when we go some place alone, I couldn't ask for a more well behaved, polite child. As soon as you add in another child, it's all over. It seems he really wants my attention. :( It's the middle child syndrome I guess. You should have some interesting changes to deal with when the 3rd one comes along.

I wish I had some suggestions on the room. Jude is a real boy but he is not quite like that. He's extremely stubborn and willful but he is also very quiet, sensitive and passive, especially when it comes to his little sister, she walks all over him and he cries in the aftermath lol. ::) Girls also tend to not be nearly as affectionate as boys, and until I had a boy I didn't realize just what that meant. But at least you have 2 lovebugs (hopefully?) already. Elsha is a very fiery girl, she isn't going to be any fun at 2. :o

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2007, 10:35:15 am »
aiden would DEFINITELY prefer to be the only child lol.  though, even he would have to admit that he loves "helping out."  aiden LOVES going out with just me.  i have to admit, though, that he does always say please, thank you, excuse me, bless you, etc all the time.  regardless of how mad he is lol. 

both ours throw horrible fits.  all you have to do is get on to them and they scream.  and scream.  and scream.  then when they stop, if you look at them, they start crying again.  that goes on for about 20 minutes. 

as far as cuddling.  aiden loves to snuggle with me, but not hubby.  aiden even calls hubby "brandon."  tristan loves to snuggle with "dad" but not me, but still calls me mom lol.

at least with a girl i guess you could get back at them by dressing them up ;)  aiden refuses to wear clothes unless we're going somewhere.  i hear girls are easier to potty train, also.  i sure hope so if i have one!
steffanie in atlanta

axle-140ish-lb akita (4)

mama23+pyrs2

« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2007, 10:49:59 am »
Yes, I do agree with the potty training one, well at least because Jude is almost 3 and doesn't want a thing to do with the potty yet haha. My daughter was potty trained by now and once she was ready, that was it and it was done. Dressing them up is much more fun, if you have a girl you will go nuts shopping. My second girl was 8 years apart from my first so it had been a long time between getting to do the baby girl thing and I went/am going nuts still hahah. That was definitely a letdown with having a boy, it got boring fast.

Jude doesn't snuggle with daddy at all unless he's on the verge of falling asleep and he happens to end up there haaaaa. He also calls hubby 'Chris' but that's cause that is what my oldest and I are always saying and most always with a negative tone so he says it the same way lol, it's hysterical but hubby hates it! Aside from that, somewhere along the lines recently he has just turned into DAD (no Daddy? :(). I'm still Momma. ;D

Offline peytons mama

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2007, 08:18:44 pm »
If you have the dresser in there as JUST decoration, is there any way that you can put a baby monitor in one of the drawers and screw it shut so your little boy doesn't know about it. And when you hear something he shouldn't be doing, you can go in there and scare him with "I see everything and can hear everything that you are doing"???

I know that you don't have anything in there right now besides his bed and his dresser but...has he pulled the bed over to the dresser to climb on it and then jump off yet? I say yet cuz it's just a matter of time. My older brother used to do that. No one knew about it except me. He was as quiet as a mouse...and NO ONE believed me!!!

Good luck!
Your house isn't a home until you have made a bed for a dog.

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2007, 09:37:58 pm »
the problem would be plugging it in if i put a monitor in the dresser.   :-\

no, he hasn't moved his bed yet.  he's only 3 and that mattress set is heavyyyyyyyyyy .  it's a pain in the butt for me and hubby to move, let alone him.  that's why we put it in there lol.  hopefully it'll be a LONG time before he can move it!
steffanie in atlanta

axle-140ish-lb akita (4)

Nicole

« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2007, 09:51:03 pm »
I think that you should just leave the room empty. When family comes over, let Aiden explain why it has nothing in it.

I wouldn't bang my head against the wall until he's old enough or over his destructive stage and can handle a "decorated" room.

Nicole

« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2007, 10:03:28 pm »
GO STELLA!

That's why I love you.

Offline aggghgmom

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2007, 10:11:44 pm »

Oh bad news girls are no where near as easy as boys - I so thought my darling daughter would play with her dolls, color beautiul pictures be sugar and spice....NOT NOT NOT!!

She is a hellian (sp).  Every day is a new challenge and I have also had to take everything out of her room - she actually pulled the wall paper down during time out when she was about 3 years old.  She is 8 now and a monster (we are actually in therapy together my hubby says she is just like me  - thanks alot!!

And we aren't anywhere near puberty when it will just get worse - she has no fear, says anything she wants to anyone she wants - ack I could go on all day.

So my wish for you is a child like my first one who we lovingly call Mr. Perfect he really isn't but comparitably speaking he is easy as pie (even for a 15 year old)

If you would like to borrow either of them just let me know!!

Randy & Harley