Author Topic: poopy problem  (Read 3319 times)

Offline iluvbigdogz

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
poopy problem
« on: February 04, 2006, 12:19:06 pm »
My sister just got a choc. newfie puppy about a week ago. She already has an adult bullmastiff. Anyway, the puppy has been eating his own poop. If he goes somewhere she does not see right away, he will eat it. Is there a reason for this? Is there a way to get him to stop? He is 11 weeks old. Thanks!

Offline Nina

• Supreme Drooler
  • In Loving memory 12/30/05 8:30pm We miss you
    • View Profile
Re: poopy problem
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2006, 12:23:00 pm »
My Dilbert used to do that, it is a puppy thing and Dilbert grew out of it. I think it is like an instinct thing, so that preditors won't know that they are there. Usually it is the mother that takes care of it.  I just made sure that I picked up his poop right away. Trying to get him not to eat the cats poop....well that is a different story all together.
LOL :)

Nina
Nina and Tim
Calgary, AB, Canada
Harley(Lab mix)
Dilbert(Pyr mix)At the bridge
Jolene (cat)

Offline Perdi's Mom

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2006, 09:39:12 pm »
Aww mom, dontcha know cat poo is a delicacy in the dog world!  :o  Totally gross!!!!!!  I told mine they weren't ever giving kisses to me again until they quit eating it!
Our pets love us no matter what....can't say the same for humans....

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2006, 09:50:12 pm »
Zoey did it as a puppy too and grew out of it after a month or two. We never had to try it, but if you put a tiny bit of meat tenderizer in his food, that should make his poop taste bitter (dogs hate bitter taste). You can also buy products like solid gold's s.e.p. (stop eating poo) that should also help curb the problem
RIP former BPO

Offline rickie

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • Short dogs, but big paws :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2006, 09:58:38 pm »
My Molly continues to do it and she will be 6 in April. It's gross! If I catch her trying to do it, I say " don't even think about it"! She looks at me like, "what, I wasn't going to do anything" In the winter time here in Maine, we call them poopsicles. Seriously, I talked to the vet about it and he said it is not harmful to her as long as it's her own. I tried a powered additive a few years ago called "for-bid" but it didn't work for her. I just try to keep an eye on her when she is out, and make sure I don't get any kisses right away from her when she comes back in.
Short dogs Big paws

Kiahpyr

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2006, 10:05:22 pm »
Kiah likes frozen poop. I think it's cause it's hard and she can chew on it. The only bad thing is that she's teaching Kitana to do it. YUCK!!!

Lyn

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2006, 09:47:59 am »
Bubba is a year old now and still is a poop eater. I'm going to have to start de-worming him on a regular basis because of it. I just can't get him to stop.  >:(

Offline aggghgmom

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2006, 10:34:03 am »
Harley was also a poop eater - I tried the meat tenderizer, for-bid, and asian hot sesame oil.  The hot (spicy) oil seemed to work for a minute - Harley took a large bite and then shook his head buried his head in the snow and ran around like a nut - cured?  nope went back for a second bite as soon as the heat wore off!!  Well my hubby was nuts about it since harley is a licker and we had small kids so I needed to stop it so I used a vibration collar when he went to take a bite I hit the button on #1 out of 4 he was confused like did that poop just zap me??  It took a total of 2 zaps and he never did it again.

This is NOT my recommendation for everyone especially a 11 week old puppy but I tried the vibration on myself it felt like a hand buzzer and it allowed Harley to re-join the kids for playtime.