Author Topic: HELP PLEASE!  (Read 11531 times)

Offline kildeskennel

• Paw-meister
  • Beautiful beauty
    • View Profile
    • Kildes Kennel
HELP PLEASE!
« on: May 22, 2005, 03:14:07 am »
We are going nuts with Beauty right now, she will not allow the pups to nurse which is fine they are almost 7 weeks old, and she growls at them when they try,she has been doing that for a few weeks now, yet she wakes me up constantly at night to go "out" Me not realizing she had a "hole" in the kennel, I followed her out tonight, ( this morning) she is letting them nurse for a few minutes only then snaps them away.  I talked to another breeder who told me she will continue to do this because he teats get hard and hurt, takes a week to get over this period..Does anyone have any hints about this period in her life?  What can I do to help her be more comfortable?  I remember being "engorged with my last child and it HURTS.  Is there anything I can do to ease her discomfort?
Happiness comes of the capacity to feel deeply, to enjoy simply, to think freely, to risk life, to be needed.
Storm Jameson

Offline Jaimie

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
Re: HELP PLEASE!
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2005, 03:19:42 pm »
I do not know wanything about breeding dogs but I know when we wean foals I often milk the mares udders a little bit to eleviate the pain from the full bag, maybe you could try the same with your dog but I am not sure.

Offline mastiffmommy

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2005, 09:48:55 pm »
Well I have never had that problem either with a dog or myself  :D, but when I was breeding arabians, I had mares with bad problems a couple of times, the vet told me that the first step was to try and massage them, that makes them softer and it does not hurt and bad when the baby is sucking, as long as they are not very warm and she is running a fever, hopefully you can help her with some massage, I used both just hands and a luke warm damp cloth (very very soft cloth, almost like fleeze) and gently massaged, and you could after a little while feel how it got a little softer and I kept doing that a couple three times each day until the problems were over. poor Beauty, she must be so uncomfortable, I know my horses were, and a friend I have, who had those probles said it was horrible. Give her a big hug and a wet kiss from me

Marit
what the lion is to a cat, the mastiff is to a dog

Offline Judges445

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2005, 02:15:35 pm »
What about bag balm now sold in stores in green cans. Says they use it on cows and people too hehehehe
Deborah,
Mom to Tigger our wonderful pound Puppy St.
5yrs.

Offline poofynewfy

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2005, 03:33:32 pm »
Poor Beauty. I hope she feels better soon.