Author Topic: So how did you raise and train your large breed dog  (Read 4058 times)

Offline Sam

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
So how did you raise and train your large breed dog
« on: August 26, 2005, 08:57:08 pm »
We are very lucky to have Sam as being a part of our family.
Sam came into our family when he was 7 months.
Sam, when being with me, is an excellent, example, and perfect dog when one on one with me alone. I just have to whisper a command and Sam will obey. But when other family members are around, like our son and my wife, Sam seems to forget all the training and discipline we both went through, the last couple of months. Sam thinks that i am the mubero uno in the pack, and that he is numbero two. My wife and son should become first. what did i do wrong ? Should i involve my wife and son into the training of our puppy dog Sam ? If so, please give us some deatailed advice so we can try and tell you about the results. Our Sam is half Turkish shepherd and half great pyrenee. 11 months old now and not nutered yet.   

Offline Tulsas' Dad

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
Re: So how did you raise and train your large breed dog
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2005, 09:49:59 pm »
Dogs figure out the "pecking order" in their human family, as well as their K-9 family.
They're like teenagers, test , test, test, push.
Tulsa
The scientific name for an animal that doesn't either run from or fight its enemies, is Lunch.--Michael Friedman

Offline pndlake

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2005, 09:50:57 pm »
Wow he is a beaut.  He looks very intelligent, you can tell in the eyes.  But he is only 11 months old.  Still a pup and still has a lot to learn.  I believe with time and working hard he will get the order correct.  It will depend on how your wife feels about it and what type of a relationship she desires with Sam as well as your son.  I believe your whole family will work it out.  Good Luck.

Peggy
Peggy

Offline Sam

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2005, 10:04:47 pm »
Thank you Peggy  :)

For you positive input. You should see Sam right now. He is about 6 months older and way.... way bigger and very muscular. I really like your positive attitude, like saying that our whole family will it out. I believe so too. Thank you for positive reply and your care......... I really do appreciate this and i do get, i mean we all do get a boost from this. It helps us my wife and son to believe in Sam and to continue to care for him just as much as i do. Thank you again. 

Offline Joji

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2005, 08:15:09 am »
It sounds like your wife and son need to be more invovled in Sam's training sessions. Perhaps they could take turns feeding him, making him sit and stay before giving him permission to eat. Perhaps you as a family could attend obedience classes together to help them (wife and son) learn what they need to do to establish themselves as alpha over Sam.  As someone mentioned in an earlier post, dogs, like kids, will test the boundaries and we all know how important it is for a "happy pack" to be able to respond appropriately to their pushing.  ;)  Good luck!
If you think dogs can't count, try putting three dog biscuits in your pocket and then giving Fido only two of them. -Phil Pastoret

Offline RedyreRottweilers

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
    • Redyre Rottweilers
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2005, 08:23:34 am »

Here are a few good links for you to read about dogs and how pack hierarchy works for them.

You can fix your problem with just a little good management, and a little different way of interacting with the dog on behalf of your other family members.

First of all, if he is not neutered, I would have that done immediately. Most dominance issues happen with young intact male dogs.

Let me know if you have any questions about the materials in the links.

http://www.chowwelfare.com/cciw/alpha.htm

http://www.k9deb.com/nilif.htm

http://www.phouka.com/dogs/dog_pack.html

http://www.runet.edu/~pjackson/ExtinctionIC.pdf

http://www.animalforum.com/dpuppy101.htm

Good luck!!

:D

Redyre Rottweilers
redyre@carolina.rr.com
No part of this message may be forwarded without my permission.

Offline Anky

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2005, 08:59:54 am »
We've had all our dogs since puppies and it's easier that way, you don't have to break any bad habits.  However our female Setter is VERY dominant, and she will only listen to me, because Daddy spoils her, and sometimes she won't even listen to me!  That's when we start using NILIF, which stands for nothing in life is free.  Pretty much that means that the dog doesnt get any special treatment, she can't get on any of the furniture, has to sit before she goes outdoors, has to do something in order to get fed, or pet or anything.  It's a full time job when we're doing NILIF, and sometimes it's hard, but it's definitely worth it.

Ang
BPO's Official Mistress of Mirth

Charter Member of the Official Suspicious Chicken Fan Club

"And you will know us by the trail of skank."