Author Topic: Just a vent about my Parents  (Read 4510 times)

Blair

Just a vent about my Parents
« on: April 28, 2006, 09:59:44 pm »
We asked my parents if they could watch the girls for us so we could go out tonight [Our Anniversary is on Tuesday] And well they couldnt, or should I say didnt want to, cause they just moved into a house and just dont have the time to. But then comes along my brother, and he asked my parents to watch their son tonight, Oh my parents have no problem with that, of course they can watch him. Now keeping in mind they also have my sister in law parents, who always watch him and my parents, and well we have no one to watch our girls for us. I think what really upsets me is its our Anniversary Tuesday and we wanted to go out and spend time alone together. We have been married on 6 years and we have NEVER gone out by ourselves to celebrate. For some reason my parents never have time or anything to watch my girls, but they have all the time in the world to watch my brother's son. I love my nephew but he has some much more energy then my 2 girls put together and misbehaves more [my parents even told us how bad he is] It would be nice to go out with my husband alone to celebrate our anniversary, but it wont be happening this year. Sorry for such a non dog topic, I just needed to vent.

Offline Softhug

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
Re: Just a vent about my Parents
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2006, 10:37:54 pm »
UGH that sucks.  And if you confront them about it, I am sure that "you are overreacting" and "they don't favor him" etc.  My MIL is like that with my SIL's kids.  It is annoying.  If you were closer, you could just bring them to Auntie Jacquie's and we would have a slumber party! 
Jacquie-Undercover Princess
Tsu Ling-Chow Chow-RIP 5/08
Boudreaux-American Mastiff
Griffey-Pi55y, fat, yellow cat
Comrade-red/white Siberian Husky
"Lots of people talk to animals," said Pooh.
"Not that many listen though."
"That's the problem."

Blair

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2006, 12:54:26 am »
I understand its not their reponseablity thats why we rarely ask them to watch the kids for us. I can understand having 2 is more then 1, but we just wanted to go to dinner by ourselves, for once. But oh well, we will spend our Anniversary with our Children, I really dont mind. Its just the fact of the matter that really upsets. Everytime we ask my parents, which is once in a blue moon, they whine and say no. But it seems like they are always watching my nephew  :-\ Well atleast mine getting upset made me finally clean my closet, which really needed it  :D Its all OK cause I am getting Gauge in a little over a week  ;D My parents are really going to love that, they think we have too many dogs, hahahhahaha.

Offline aggghgmom

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2006, 05:14:13 am »
We have a very similar problem.  My in-laws run to everyone of my nieces and nephews games, parades, recitals etc. and never come to my kids (we live 90 minutes away but still they come all the time).  Also, no matter what my kids do one of my nieces or nephews does it better :-\.

A few months ago my daughter had her first gymnastics exhibition and we told the in-laws 6 weeks in advance they said they would come, I called the Thursday before and they couldn't come because they were babysitting for my niece and nephew so the Mom could go to NYC shopping (although I don't blame my SIL she didn't know, anyway it turns out inlaws were sitting but my BIL was home just couldn't handle both of his kids??  I haven't been overly pleasant to the inlaws since.

Anyway, sorry I vented and I would be happy to babysit your darlings!!

Offline MafiaPrincess

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2006, 05:43:54 am »
I understand.. I'm young and unmarried.. but I've seen it happen in our family.  My Mother's parents have favourites within their own kids, and it dictates which grandchildren are liked best.. and I'm not high up on the liked list.
It was bad enough before I got a dog, then I pretty much got exiled...
My grandmother has emailed my snobby rich cousins weekly for years.. We get to hear on a too often basis what expensive hobby they've taken up or what ridiculously expensive vacation they are going on.  Versus only when I screw up in my life does anyone really care..
Sorry to hijack your rant, just wanted you to know I understand,.. And if you weren't so far away, I love to babysit kids.  :)
~I'm changing my naughty ways to naughtier ones~

Offline Softhug

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2006, 07:33:27 am »
We REALLY need to look into the BPO community...th en we can all take care of each other!  LOL!!!  We'll have our own little commune! 
"That's the problem."

cricket36580

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2006, 08:38:40 am »
Melissa - your babies are welcome to come for an extended playdate any time!  And I'm available for babysitting for those that are close enough... 

I don't really have the same issues since I don't have any in-laws and my mother lives 3 hrs away.  If we go out, it's because we hired a babysitter or planned for the kids to sleep over at a friend's house.  Extended trips are a little more complicated and I always come home to a catastrophe of some sort.  I told the clan last x-mas that we wouldn't be doing that any more.  I just wasn't going to deal with it.  I could kennel the dogs but what to do with 40is chickens and 4 goats???

Offline horsepoor21

• BPO Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2006, 12:07:46 pm »
Ooooh , a chance to rant about my MIL ....  ;) My daughter is turning 1 year old in May , my MIL still can't remember her NAME !!! She lives two hours away and has only seen her three times , and one of those times was at a funeral .... The other two times we drove all the way out to her ... She's never even held her ... She always mispronounces my oldest son's name and she flat out told us she hates our middle son's name so she won't say that one either .... grrrrr ... Okay ,I feel better now ! ;D
-Amy
Moose-Border Collie/Newfoundland rescue
Allie-Newfoundland
Spook-Newfoundland
Whiskey-Arabian
Wolverine-Cockatiel
Polly&Rainbow-Lovebirds (with 3 babies!)
Crush-Painted Turtle

"Every boy should have two things:
 A dog, and a mother willing to let him have one"

Offline CujoandShamus

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2006, 08:07:53 pm »
I can totally relate. The first anniversary DH and I went out for was our tenth. BUt now that our two oldest are 15 and 13 and the two youngest are 7 and 8 the two older one babysit if we want to go out for a few hours.

Gypsy Jazmine

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2006, 12:37:27 am »
Been there...done that...I just finally realized that it wasn't gonna happen & stopped asking her to watch my kids...Not that I ever really did unless I had a dr.'s appointment or something like that...I had a c-section with my second baby & my first was 15 months old...2 days after I got out of the hospital my hubby had to go back to work & I took care of both kids myself...I couldn't even get help then...I talk with my mom but I don't think I will ever get over being angry about that....I don't expect my mom to be a built in babysitter by ANY means but a little help would have been nice at times. :'( >:(

Offline princessnmi

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2006, 06:19:57 am »
I can totally relate to you but in a different way. I will leave my 6 month old daughter with my mom ANYTIME and my mom would be happy to have her any time. But my mom also runs a daycare and has raised her fair share of kids. However my mother in law has 3 kids two of them have cerebal palsy and are pretty much HUGE 6 month olds. I would not leave my daughter with her if my life depended on it. She is VERY rough because of having to fight with her kids all the time. Both of the kids are full grown but can't feed themselves wear diapers etc. But when we were there for christmas my daughter cried a LOT....she is a mommy's girl and when other people hold her or she doesn't know where I am she screams. My mil left marks on her face cramming the pacifier into her mouth. She also handed my brother in law who is a VERY strong 25 yr old (with a 6 month old mentality) who grabs onto everything my daughter who was 3 months old at the time. I was furious...sorr y to take over your vent, but just thought I would share.

If you were closer I would babysit in a heartbeat.  I love kids
Proudly owned by: Robin-3 yr old Lab mix, Brody 14 month old Great Dane, Moose a 6 month old dane
Loved by my beautiful daughter Makaylee and my soon to be adopted sons Richard and Jay And the husband too I guess

Offline NoDogNow

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2006, 01:10:30 am »
Blair, I'm sorry I'm far away.  I would totally play auntie if I was close enough! :D

Maybe your parents don't realize that they're favoring your nephew so much.  Dad's mom never did--I thought that she completely indulged her daughter and her children, while we had to call and make an appointment for any visit at all--even my dad!  When I started jr high, the school was 2 blocks from her house, and it was made very clear to me that I wasn't welcome to just 'drop in' after school without calling first, but my cousin who was in the same class were allowed free run of the place, along with his friends.  It's not that I wasn't LOVED--I was, and I knew it--but the boundaries were completely different.  It wasn't until I was in college that I finally brought it up to her one day--and she honestly didn't realize that I felt like she'd been guilty of some favoritism.  To her, the difference was that her daughter was not a stable person, or even a particularly good person, and those grandkids needed a safe haven available to them at the drop of a hat if their mother was drunk, or brought some guy home.  With my sibs and I, she knew that we were safe, and she felt that the "call first" rule was just reinforcing the good manners my parents were trying to teach us.  It was really just that simple. I had responsible parents, while my cousins didn't.

Your parents may have a motive that's not visible to you, just like my grandmother's motive wasn't visible to ME.  Talk them, and tell them that you perceive a difference in the way they treat your nephew vs how they treat your girls, and give her specific examples like this last situation, and any others that you can be clear about, but not overly emotional.  Tell them you'd like to understand why this is happening, for the girls' sake.  Use me as an example, if you like.  I always knew that Gramma loved me, but I also always felt that she valued my cousins MORE than me, because I felt they had freer access to her, the way I did my Gran. By the time I was grown enough to ask the question and understand why, it was too late--Gramma died less than a year later.

That said: my friend Tia's MIL is just a pill--she lives 10 blocks from T, and sees her grandchildren maybe twice a year, on their birthday, and on Christmas if she doesn't go out of town to one of her other kids.  Tia's run into her MIL at the grocery store or Costco, and the girls don't even recognize their grandmother most of the time.

If that's the case, you'll just have to find your girls an auntie like me.  :-*

Sheryl, Dogless and sad

Offline Softhug

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2006, 01:46:39 am »
Doesn't this thread make you wonder about the families in our own towns?  We are all so ready to help Blair (and justly of course...how could you NOT with those adorable curly haired stinkers of hers) even though we are miles away.  Makes me wonder how many good people are in the same situation in my area...
"That's the problem."

Offline PennyK

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2006, 01:55:56 am »
Yup.  Same in our family.

My MIL will rush to Michigan every other week to see what her "adorable twins" are up to (about a 5 hr trip) and can't be bothered to stop by our place at all (about a 5 min trip!).  At every chance she will pull out pics of the twins but doesn't even carry a pic of either of our kids.  Every once in a while she does something to redeem herself but mostly, I just try not to let it get to me.  At least my parents make an effort to see our kids once a week (though, they do not really like to babsit, but they will in cases like anniversarys and stuff).

Rant away girlfriend - your not alone!! :-*
Every girl needs a Teddy bear!

Offline Softhug

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2006, 02:44:33 am »
another view on it...

Sometimes I think that parents tend to the "weaker" of their kids too.  (Not saying it is that way in ALL families or every situation) In my family it is my sister, who "CAN'T" work because of migranes, is divorced with 2 kids,never had to pay rent or utilities or buy a car, etc. My mom does EVERYTHING for her instead of making her do it for herself.  So there is another angle on it...
"That's the problem."