BPO Food Forum > Food Discussion & Information

Oh no. Tucker's well-puppy check up = hubby & I arguing about diet. Stupid vet.

<< < (2/3) > >>

List:
Please don't use Hill's D/D. Berner's have so many health issues, and some can be greatly helped by a species appropriate diet.

Trust me look for a new vet!!!! Do your research first, to find one that isn't anti raw and then get hubby to come along. Our vet sells Hill's and Medi-cal. And do know what she said when I told her that we feed 100% raw. She said "good job" and "dogs on raw tend to stay lean and healthy"!She also said the only reason she doesn't recommend it to most people, is that many people DON'T do the research or follow up (we do wellness panels once a year to make sure everything is a-ok - but we would do that if our dogs were kibble fed).

As for Orijen, its a great food. I know a lot of dogs that are doing great on it. Your vet sounds like a complete kook. Although I used to work for vets like that (and guess what the purina and hill's reps came by regularly and even took them to Florida for golfing regularly - and we're in Ontario, not cheap)!!

I even work for a pet insurance company, and all the vets and vet techs that work there feed raw or a premium kibble (like Orijen or EVO).

Get your hubby to read this thread. And even check out some great pro-raw links and dogfoodanalysi s. Try http://www.rawfed.com/myths/
http://www.rawlearning.com/
Oh and contact some berner breeders - I'll bet you most good ones either feed a premium good quality kibble or raw!

List:
Oh I also wanted to say that Orijen isn't 70% protein, its closer to 40% on a dry matter basis. Its design is 70% meat (or protein based products) and 30% veggies and botanicals. For digestion the body needs water, as soon as Tucker drinks water it actually lowers the protein levels in the food. 

And raw is actually pretty low in protein. Because it is water inclusive. On a dry matter basis chicken is between 22 -24% and beef and pork are closer to 21 -22% protein. Feeding raw is not 100% protein like a lot of people believe.

I am angry at your vet for you. Its not right for vets to use fear to cash in! Dogs have been around a lot longer than Hill's and guess what as a species they've done pretty darn well with out Rx diets. Before kibble became popular only about 60 years ago - dogs were fed raw food and table scraps. Bah!

ozzysma:
not to kick you when you are down but man why go to a vet when you know beforehand that they are going to be that way. i personally would have got that stupid vet to explain away the crappy ingredients in that food she sells.!!!!!!  buy orijen and put it in the hills bag when he is not looking!!!LOL!! 

Berner_Mom:

--- Quote from: ozzysma on June 15, 2009, 07:44:33 am ---not to kick you when you are down but man why go to a vet when you know beforehand that they are going to be that way. i personally would have got that stupid vet to explain away the crappy ingredients in that food she sells.!!!!!!  buy orijen and put it in the hills bag when he is not looking!!!LOL!! 

--- End quote ---

I know, I know.  To be honest, we ended up at this veterinarian because they are open 24/7 and are an emergency animal hospital too- also its only 2nd time we've seen this particular Dr.  Its a "group" of vets so though you may make an appointment with a particular individual, depending on what emergencies come in during the day, you are not guaranteed to see that Dr, could be any of them.

I assumed ALL vets would feel that way about feeding raw, since I have yet to meet a vet in my city who does not feel it is a bad way to go.  Right now we will definitely be switching vets, I need to find someone who will respect our decision on what we feed our dog, regardless of how they personally feel about it.

And, LOL, I did think about just switching the kibble in the bag too, throwing away the Hills and replacing it with Orijens!

patrick:
You just might have to switch foods in the bag until you can re-educate hubby!!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version