Author Topic: Allie growled at me .....  (Read 2915 times)

Offline horsepoor21

• BPO Fanatic
    • View Profile
Allie growled at me .....
« on: May 25, 2006, 04:17:34 pm »
I was coming out of my house going into our yard eating a cupcake and Allie got all pushy trying to smell what I had ,I was also carrying an empty Wal*Mart bag so (since my mouth was full and I couldn't talk ...LOL ) I kind of swished the bag at her but it didn't get her attention so I tried to kind of hit her with it on the head ( I don't know if that makes sence ... ) ,I did it kind of hard since I knew an empty plastic bag was NOT going to hurt her and I really wanted her attention and my mouth was still stuffed ... LOL I'm such a pig , so anyways , she had stepped forward when I swished the bag at her and I accidently hit her on the nose , pretty hard . She backed up and showed her teeth at me and growled !!! Little sh*t ! I really didn't know what to do but my first reaction was to come straight at her and she automaticly layed down on the ground ,tail between legs . I put her in her kennel for a time out . So , do you think her reaction to getting hit on the nose is something to worry about ? What should I have done to correct her attitude ? I'm just a little worried as I have three little kids and they always fall and stuff around her and I would hate for one of them to accidently hurt her and have her snap at them or something ! Maybe I'm blowing this out of proportion ,but better safe than sorry !
-Amy
Moose-Border Collie/Newfoundland rescue
Allie-Newfoundland
Spook-Newfoundland
Whiskey-Arabian
Wolverine-Cockatiel
Polly&Rainbow-Lovebirds (with 3 babies!)
Crush-Painted Turtle

"Every boy should have two things:
 A dog, and a mother willing to let him have one"

doggylover

Re: Allie growled at me .....
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2006, 05:39:49 pm »
I would be willing to bet money that if you had 'hit' her accidently hard on the nose (her most tender spot) with your bare hand, you wouldn't have gotten that reaction, she would see it as coming from you.  She is obviously submissive to you or she wouldn't have dropped and shown her sweet lil tummy like that.  I think they see it differently when they don't see our hands.  I know that I don't go near Badger's head if I have, for instance, gardening gloves on, he seems scared, and if a dog is really scared or confused, they can react negatively, whereas they would tolerate a lot of 'abuse' if it came 'from us'.  Please don't be offended, I'm NOT saying you abused her, I'm saying that the bag, not you-her trusted mama, hit her and she reacted normally to that behavior. 
I have kids around my dog all the time and if they step on his sore rear back leg, he growls, its all he can do to warn them off.  They know to be extra careful because his foot is ouchy, but on the rare occasion when one of them has fallen on his foot, he grumbles and runs away. 
I really wouldn't worry, this sounds very very normal to me. 
 :D

Yaz

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2006, 07:48:23 pm »
is that a one-off incident? Meaning, has she ever growled at you before, not counting play growling? If she has never done that before, you probably do not have a problem on your hands, just a startled puppy. But I do understand your concern with the kids - it is funny how things change when you have young children to protect. We had a Wheaton Terrier mix that I raised from nine weeks of age with my three children. Our pup was not allowed on the couch or through the door first, was hand fed by the kids with me supervising, did wonderfully in obedience class, played with the kids beautifully.  Within a week of turning eight months of age, he growled at my then-three year old as he walked past him while he was eating. I could not believe I heard him correctly and thought it was his tummy growling, until he did it again the next day. A couple of days later he was chewing a tasty bone and when my daughter walked by he bared his teeth at her, snarling and growling. As soon as I saw that my heart just broke, because, if any was to ever happen after that moment, I would have to live with knowing that I saw the signs and chose to ignore them. We placed him in an adult-only family who were going to work with a trainer to help him overcome his resource guarding, with the knowledge it was most likely his temperement that contributed to his behaviour.

Offline horsepoor21

• BPO Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2006, 09:41:51 pm »
doggylover> Thankyou ! I never thought of it as the "bag" that hit her instead of me ! I feel much better now ! :)

Yaz > I know how you feel ! Last August we had to place our little Chihuahua that we had had for a year with an adult-only home as he started snapping at the kids whenever they touched or came near any of "his stuff" .... He had been raised with them as well , did everything right until he turned a year old ... We have always said that there's no "three strikes , you're out " when it comes to the children , it's just not worth it !
-Amy
Allie-Newfoundland
Spook-Newfoundland
Whiskey-Arabian
Wolverine-Cockatiel
Crush-Painted Turtle

doggylover

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2006, 12:31:58 am »
doggylover> Thankyou ! I never thought of it as the "bag" that hit her instead of me ! I feel much better now ! :)

That really is all it was.  Poor thing thought a devil bag was attacking her.  I'm surprised she didn't 'kill' that bad bad bag!

Offline horsepoor21

• BPO Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2006, 08:07:07 am »
Well good thing she didn't try to kill it ! LOL I woulda thrown my cupcake at her then to save my hand ! LOL
-Amy
Allie-Newfoundland
Spook-Newfoundland
Whiskey-Arabian
Wolverine-Cockatiel
Crush-Painted Turtle

Offline Love My Emmee

• Ankle Biter
  • My Dane, My Savior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2006, 02:29:48 pm »
It sounds like Allie was startled and confused at being hit on such a sensitive area  :o.  She knew she did wrong and submitted right away to you.  I wouldn't think that she is likely to repeat it.

Heather, NH
People will always judge you, but your will dog love you for who you are.

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2006, 03:21:32 pm »
Could it be she thought that big white bag was attacking both of you?  You couldn't talk, weren't acting normally, and then to top it off, a big bag attacks!  Sounds like it could have all been terribly confusing!! :-\