Author Topic: Refresh my memory please  (Read 2230 times)

mama23+pyrs2

Refresh my memory please
« on: August 09, 2007, 06:23:23 pm »
What should I do when Yukon growls with something? The last time he did that he was about half his size and he never did it again. Last night I gave him a pig ear as a treat, he's never had one.. and when I tried to look at his foot (the one he's been limping on) he growled at me as he was chewing his treat. I'm quite sure it wasn't because of his foot because I'd been feeling all over it before he had the treat. We told him no, and kinda gave his neck a shrug..he never stopped chewing and just kinda looked up at me like, what did I do. But he growled about 3 seperate times. I thought to take it away again, but the whole thing was in his mouth.

Just need a refresher for this type of reaction from him since it's been so long since I've dealt with it and his size has of course changed.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2007, 06:24:26 pm by mama2many »

lins_saving_grace

Re: Refresh my memory please
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2007, 07:28:56 pm »
These things are best done when our big paws are little pups.  they're easier to manage that way and always need to be reinforced. 
don't get mad at me oK!?...i'm sure you did establish your dominance when yukon was a pup.  it sounds like you didn't reinforce it on a forward basis. 
start again. 
when Grace has a treat or a toy and even thinks about growling at me when i get close to her or it i growl back...i climb on top of her and take it.  i did, have and will always dominate her (i know that sounds rough, but it's not.  I do dominate things.) 
I square up, bulk out, growl, bark, nip, stare her down, whatever it takes.  she knows just by my body language not to do that.  she's so submissive to me that if i point at the ground, she knows to sit...or to lay down if she is sitting. 
when i need to cut nails or look at a sore paw...i have no problem sitting on her and manuevering her feet or whatever.   it's hard not to let up on our discipline...b ut we have to keep at it every day.
it's a continual thing...you can't ever slack on it. 
so square one for you and Yukon.   get dominate.  take control!!!!!!!  :) 
« Last Edit: August 09, 2007, 07:31:59 pm by Lin »

mama23+pyrs2

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2007, 07:39:53 pm »
Well we have enforced the dominance issue from the first day we had them and continued it. After the intial growl when he was a baby (he was in the crate), it was akward and I was kind of in the wrong position to correct it properly then. But..he hasn't had any other issues with that up until last night. Whenever they've had bones or food or whatever, I will go over to them and get my face in theirs and they've been fine with it. So, I was a little puzzled as to why he tried it last night. Unless, it's partly his challenging age..like kids? And trying to see if he can exert himself now that's he's bigger or something.. not sure. :-\ Yiska is completely submissive, though she fights like the devil (for nails or baths) and doesn't like to listen..more like sit and stare at you like you're stupid lol..that's a Pyr trait I know. ;) She will obey, she won't take anything from you unless you tell her to..that kind of thing. Yukon, even as stubborn as he can be, is polite too and won't grab..if he does..a little 'uh uh!!' and he backs right off. But they won't even lunge for raw meat in front of their faces unless we tell them they can take it. So, I know they know some things. But, we have always put them back in their place when we feel he or they are trying to get a step ahead of us. I probably there again should have taken what he had, but didn't want to reach into his mouth to get it.

« Last Edit: August 09, 2007, 07:40:57 pm by mama2many »

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2007, 07:41:21 pm »
Challenging age is always fun.  you got a point there. i remember that age.