Author Topic: Lola has appointment with a behaviourist.. Awesome Update!  (Read 5488 times)

Lyn

Lola has appointment with a behaviourist.. Awesome Update!
« on: August 06, 2007, 07:01:14 pm »
I've been working with my trainer to nip Lola's dog and stranger issues in the butt. But I'm not seeing that much improvement really. So I contacted a behaviourist and made an appointment for Lola on August 9th. I'm just waiting for her to email me with the time.

Does 60(canadian)per hour sound about right? She was recommended by my vet.. so I haven't really shopped around. LOL

I'll let you all know how it goes!  ;)
« Last Edit: August 09, 2007, 03:24:33 am by Lyn »

Offline Sillygoose

• Top Doggie Dog
  • I love my dog!
    • View Profile
Re: Lola has appointment with a behaviourist in a couple days.
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2007, 07:32:57 pm »
Wow 60 an hour! I have no idea what that would cost but I've had obedience trainers in at 30 and hour. So maybe that is about right. Good luck with Lola and keep us posted.

Offline Ali

• BPO Fanatic
  • My girls!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2007, 09:30:05 pm »
I took Tani for a consultation with a behaviorist here (in Florida) and it was $85, so I'd say that $60 Canadian is either a great deal, or I got taken!! We only went once, to get some ideas on how to handle digging and submissive peeing. Honestly, it didn't help much. A few more months and she stopped the pee thing. The digging - well, she's a dog. (That was my hubby's issue with her - holes in the yard!) Good luck!
Ali
mom of 4 humans AND
Tani (TAH-nee or rhymes with "Bonnie")- Aussie/Pittie?Boxer?Mutt!
Kai - Aussie/Dobie
Kenji - big ol' black cat
Mika and Nishi - kitty sisters, foster failures!
Tasia Ladysnake - ball python

Lyn

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2007, 05:48:45 pm »
UGH! My appointment was suppose to be for this evening, but she never got back to me with a time. I just emailed her to verify the appointment and get the time. Hopefully she gets back to me soon.

Lyn

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2007, 06:35:28 pm »
Thanks Tina. :)

I just got an email back and our appointment is for 6pm. Ahhh, I'm excited and nervous all at the same time.

I'll let you all know how it goes when I get home.  ;D

Offline Sillygoose

• Top Doggie Dog
  • I love my dog!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2007, 06:45:10 pm »
She'll be fine. And she will make you proud.

Lyn

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2007, 09:52:34 pm »
I will! ;) I have a feeling that we are going to be there awhile. She's planning on introducing her to other dogs and I'm getting more and more nervous just thinking about it.  :-[

I'm to bring tons of treats with me and not to feed her dinner. She wants her hungry. The thing is though hungry or not once Lola focuses in on another dog treats don't matter. :-\ So I'm really curious to see her techniques.

Lyn

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2007, 03:23:58 am »
I'm back! ;D

It went nothing like I expected. She behaved like a perfect angel. I was shocked. I'm seriously speechless.. and that doesn't happen often. LOL Her behaviour though is definitely fear based.

She was a little hesitant at first with the trainer, but no growling. Within 5 minutes she was nudging for attention. :o Next came the introduction of a female dog. Lola normally does NOT like other females. No reaction from Lola other than perking up her ears. We started out about 20 feet away and got up to 5-6 feet away. Still no reaction! I was amazed. LOL That's HUGE!

But, It was definitely money well spent. Plus I learned some new techniques using the gentle leader. Turns out I didn't have it fitted correctly either. :-[ She also invited me to their flyball and agility practices to expose Lola to other dogs and people. Which is awesome!

Offline Newly Newfed

• Top Doggie Dog
  • Sierra
    • View Profile
Re: Lola has appointment with a behaviourist.. Awesome Update!
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2007, 03:58:17 am »
Just remember not to get doubts if Lola slides backwards a little.  It will get better...This is an excellent start!  I just know Lola has it in her!
Dogs are not our whole lives, but they make our lives whole - Roger Caras

Sierra-Newfoundland
Cody-Papillon
Oscar, Gina- Cats
Roxy-Ferret
Peaches, Sean, Thunderbolt, Chablis, Lucky, Miracle, Ivy, Riley-Whitetail Deer

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2007, 08:13:53 am »
Lyn, what a great news!!! So what about that newf pup??? It could just work  ;)
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

Offline Sillygoose

• Top Doggie Dog
  • I love my dog!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2007, 03:12:22 pm »
Wowo thats great and I'm sure a big relief for you knowing she can be helped. Way to go Lola!

Lyn

« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2007, 07:23:27 pm »
I should have brought the video camera. She even heeled perfectly for me. :D

She said Lola missed out on the majority of the human and canine socialization period as a pup. We got her near the end of it. Plus she was not socalized by the 'breeder' I know that for sure. :(

At the agility and flyball meets there will be 30 or so dogs, and about 60 or so people. It's a fully fenced in area so I can sit with Lola just outside the fence and let her watch everything, so that should be interesting.

Now, I just need a vest or something that says 'please don't approach me, I'm in training' LOL

Lyn

« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2007, 05:37:51 pm »
That is excellent news!  Maybe their is a newfie baby in your future :)

I'd just be happy to be able to take her to a BPO meet and greet, but yeah a Newf pup would be nice too. ;) Maybe next summer.