Author Topic: newfies and adolescence  (Read 10318 times)

Offline Fumble

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
newfies and adolescence
« on: February 17, 2006, 07:49:22 am »
any other newfie owners out there want to share their stories about their dogs and the terrible teens??? i'm feeling like i need a little extra support!  fumble had a horrible day yesterday! more nipping than usual, mass destruction (RIP the roll of toilet paper  :'(), etc...
and maybe any tips on how to handle it and retrain him... my breeder said that when they enter the teens, sometimes they become so dumb they forget their name..  :o!!! help!!  ??? 
"My newfoundlands live my life as passionately as i live theirs"
"I slip the hater of what i've become.  they slip the halter of what they've been, and we live together, passionately, changed"
-Both from "in the company of newfies"

WE REPRESENT THE LOLLIPOP GUILD!!!

Offline AC

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
Re: newfies and adolescence
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2006, 08:18:48 am »
Angus is now 9 months old, and I feel your pain! His sole purpose in life is to search and distroy all garbage in the house, especially dirty diapers, he has taken a liking to shoes all of the sudden, refuses to come in from outside, has chewed up the rail on my back steps and the wooden handle off my BBQ. He has certainly made life very exciting lately!

Offline Heighway

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Webster at 8 months
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2006, 09:14:28 am »
When does adolescence start?  Webster is just 5 1/2 months, but his personality is definately changing.  My baby who never chewed up anything he wasn't supposed to, now finds the laundry basket his personal toy chest, pulls towels off the rack, can get up on the bed by himself unless there is someone around, (then he needs you to stop what you are doing and give a hands up) and he absolutely cannot make up is mind if he wants to be inside or outside. (just like a little kid)  He is very insistant on what he wants and talks back when told NO. My husband calls him a "newfance" (nuisance)  But when Webster is not looking, I have to laugh.  This breed of puppy is so much like a human child. (I've raised 4 skin kids) I can't imagine ever not having a newfie in my house.   
PS: You can't say anything bad about Fumble!  Webster and I think he is the greatest!
Karen

Offline nostaw

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2006, 12:45:25 pm »
I know the feeling Hovis is still going through that, I'll do what I want stage at 15 months, she's fine on her own but as soon as she and Bell get together they seem to compete in who can be the worst.

Yesterday for example we went to the local supermarket, a trip we do regularly. The routine is always the same, there is a footpath with walls either side that runs for about 500 yards to the edge of the supermarket. They walk off lead and stop for a biscuit at the end when they are put back on their leads. They stop near the door and are tied up to wait for me to come back from shopping, when they get another treat. Ive done the trip 100's of time but yesterday about 100 yards from the biscuit stop Hovis put her head down and started running, closely followed by Bell,both suddenly deaf. I was third and losing ground rapidly. When I got to the Supermarket, they were inside exploring, much to my embaressment and the amusement of everyone else. ( I blame the Supermarket for automatic doors!) As soon as they saw me,they came running up and sat waiting for their biscuit. Yes, they got it and were then tied up to wait for me to visit the supermarket. It's difficult trying to shop with your head down trying not to catch anyones eye ;D

Andy
Slime flies when you're having fun!

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2006, 12:51:23 pm »
Great story!   They just wanted to pick out their own treats...like any teenager wanting independance! ;D ;D

Offline Mom2Sadie

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2006, 12:54:09 pm »
Oh Man, you guys are scaring me!

It's been a long time since I've been through the terrible two's with a puppy, but I remember with Kerry, my last dog, long walks and extra playtime did the trick. We did our best to keep him tired :)

Nostaw - loved the supermarket story. They certainly do their best to embarass us at every possible opportunity don't they?
Dear Lord,
Just for today, let me be the kind of person my dog thinks I am.

Shawna
Sadie the Newf
Gus and Maggie - Maine Coon Kitties
Lady the Boxer waiting at the bridge

Offline nostaw

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2006, 12:56:26 pm »
Great story!   They just wanted to pick out their own treats...like any teenager wanting independance! ;D ;D

Very true, and yes I saw the funny side, but now I'll make damn sure I get to the end of the path first.
Slime flies when you're having fun!

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2006, 01:01:59 pm »
Amazing to think you'll take up running just to stay ahead of the Newfs!  Think of us all there, virtually, to cheer you on!

Offline macybean

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2006, 01:03:24 pm »
Riley is in this stage. He doesn't come to me outside unless there is a treat involved. He thinks that if I put the leash on Sadie to go in, then that means he needs to make a run for it (in the dog park). He is settling in some ways, but in others, it's like he's lost his hearing. He doesn't even perk his ears when you say his name if he's having an independent moment. Riley? Who's Riley?

Sadie, who's almost two, is a good listener-almost always. Last night, walking back home from the dog park, she took off after a cat. I don't put her on a gentle leader to/from the dog park (short walk), and she's a puller. Well, we may have to start now, b/c she and this poor cat took off. I quickly put Riley and Peyton (the foster Newf... think that's going to be her name) inside and took off after Sadie. She was coming back towards me at that point but wouldn't look at me. Haha. She knew she did something wrong. It scared me, but I couldn't help but laugh (not when she walked up... I tried to be serious then). She's like a little 55-pound bull.

Offline chaos270

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2006, 02:41:50 pm »
Kali.....hmmm that's not her name anymore...man she's obnoxious if she has anything in her mouth.  Lately her favorite thing to shred is washcloths and socks from the laundry.  She also goes in the garbage when we're standing right next to her...she gets a tap on the muzzle and told no and goes right back in.  She constantly chews on Lacey.  Shreds any paper item left in her vicinity and barks constantly at us.  She never stops I think we're all going deaf from it.  So don't worry you're not alone.

And Andy....you should write a book on their escapades... they are too funny. 
Erin and the critters
Kali ~ the newf
Lacey ~ the aussie 
Gabby ~ Holsteiner mare
Fire ~ Appendix Quarter Horse/Belgian gelding
Lilah and Hannah ~ Kali's kitties

Offline horsepoor21

• BPO Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2006, 02:52:35 pm »
My newfie girl , Allie , is 8 & 1/2 months old and she has selective hearing ! Whenever food is involved she's right there but otherwise she's profoundly deaf ! She's learned how to open my washing machine and take clothes out to shred while I'm not watching ! She's always been kinda *naughty* , but I've always prided myself on her never chewing shoes , even though there's always tons of them in a crate next to where she sleeps .... well pride cometh before fall because she ruined two pairs in one day ! Yes , she actually picked out pairs of shoes .... well at least I don't have several unmatched pairs I guess ! :D
Well , it must not be too bad because I'm already tempted to get another newfie soon !  ;D
-Amy
Moose-Border Collie/Newfoundland rescue
Allie-Newfoundland
Spook-Newfoundland
Whiskey-Arabian
Wolverine-Cockatiel
Polly&Rainbow-Lovebirds (with 3 babies!)
Crush-Painted Turtle

"Every boy should have two things:
 A dog, and a mother willing to let him have one"

Lyn

« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2006, 07:50:41 pm »
Ok, you all are freaking me out now. LOL

Hubby and I have decided to get a Landseer Newfie girl sometime this year. I'm still looking through breeders. But I'm pretty sure we are going through with it.

Now I dealt with a stubborn streak with Bubba. But nothing like you all mentioned. He never ate things.. just ignored me. LOL

What am I getting myself into.  :o LOL

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2006, 08:19:15 pm »
Yeah, but did you read that everybody just accepts it and would do it all again in a heartbeat?  And would get another one?  A Landseer girl is the best thing in the world, kind of like a Landseer boy, or a brown girl, or a brown boy, a black boy or a black girl.  They are all awesome and worth the pain in the cabooty!!

And this is from the person who has a one year old brown boy who has learned to use his "howl" this week.  *sigh*

Offline Mom2Sadie

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2006, 08:47:08 pm »
Yeah, but did you read that everybody just accepts it and would do it all again in a heartbeat?  And would get another one?  A Landseer girl is the best thing in the world, kind of like a Landseer boy, or a brown girl, or a brown boy, a black boy or a black girl.  They are all awesome and worth the pain in the cabooty!!

And this is from the person who has a one year old brown boy who has learned to use his "howl" this week.  *sigh*

LOL, I feel for you. Sadie found her "howl" the 2nd night she was home. She sounds like Chewbacca. It's almost as funny as it is annoying ;D
Dear Lord,
Just for today, let me be the kind of person my dog thinks I am.

Shawna
Sadie the Newf
Gus and Maggie - Maine Coon Kitties
Lady the Boxer waiting at the bridge

Lyn

« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2006, 10:00:07 pm »
True, true. I said the same thing about Bubba.. and I'm more than ready to do it all over again.  ;D

I would actually love to get a Grey girl. ;D But none of the breeders I have found so far in Canada have greys. :( And I've only found a few that breed Landseers.

I'm actually looking forward to some howling. LOL Bubba doesn't bark at all. I think he's a weirdo. LOL