Author Topic: Acceptance of Pyr Behavior  (Read 2724 times)

Offline PandoraPyr

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Acceptance of Pyr Behavior
« on: August 27, 2008, 05:34:08 am »
I have to say I was a little surprised by all the acceptance to the Naughty Pyr behavior. I have a Three year old Pyr named Moses that we got as a puppy from a rescue. He is now a 170lb gentle giant. He does not destroy anything. He does not steal food and he can and has been trained. Allowing and excepting your large dogs naughty behavior is not doing them any favors. It's takes a little longer because they are extremely smart and will fight you every step of the way. But, it can be done with love and continuity. Also, everything a Pyr can see is part of their pack. Good or bad.

Offline patrick

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
    • Great Pyrenees
Re: Acceptance of Pyr Behavior
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2008, 05:49:33 am »
I guess it depends on what you define as naughty behavior.  Much of what is described is dog behavior not just Pyrs.  Dogs- all breeds are genetically by nature scavengers so it is a common problem for dogs of all breeds to steal scrumptious food when it is within their reach.  Some dogs are more persistent than others but if you leave a delicious steak just sitting out wafting its wonderful aromas and if a dog takes it perhaps the fault is at least partially yours!  You might be able to train one dog not to take the steak but the next dog you won't be successful and it doesn't mean the dog is 'bad'.  Human behavior drives dog behavior and it is each owners responsibility to understand that and develop solutions that work for the individual dog and the individual living situation.  This list has been great for giving advice for a variety of situations for all breeds.

Offline maxsmom

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2008, 06:37:26 am »
I don't think it is so much accepting naughty behaviour as much as the fact that our dogs, unlike our children, are never going to leave home and have to survive in the world on their own.  They are never going to have to get a job, understand and accept authority, due to an individuals position or title, work with whomever life throws at them, marry or raise a family, adapt to a variety of social situations, etc.  As long as we are comfortable with their behavior, they conform to our rules and are trained to our standards, as their owners, I don't feel we are "not doing them any favors".  What is acceptable in my home, for my dogs, may be completely unacceptable for others.  That is why we all have different breeds and have different expectations of them.  For me, that means I have a dog for almost every situation that I could find myself in.  I have Max for comic relief and to take into public, no matter where it is, or who or what is going to be around us.  He is my rock.  I have Jake, if I ever want to meet people, and have an attention grabbing ball of fluff, who will also vocally alert me to everything that moves at home.  I have Cody, who will vocally protect my home, from people and will go into public, just to be seen.  I also have ChiChi, who entertains us, loves us, will protect us, our home and our property, from anyone and is a constant source of love and affection. 
As far as pyr behavior, Jake is not my counter surfer.  Max is.  Jake would have to jump up on the counter, Max just rests his head on it.  My dogs and I understand that what hits the floor, other than food, is fair game for them.  It is my job to keep it off the floor, if I want it.  They have trained me, to put my dirty clothes in the closet, hang up towels, put my shoes in the garage or closet, pick up what I drop immediately, put my laptop away and not leave it on the table, place the remote back on top of the TV when I am done with it for the night, close the sunroom doors when I have to bring my orchids in due to storms or cold weather.  None of these things are bad habits to have.  They actually make my life a little easier, for the most part, due to knowing exactly where things are. 

I guess my point is that we all have house rules and expectations and as long as our dogs conform to what we think is acceptable, that should be good enough.

Kathy
Max  2 Irish Wolfhound
Jake  2 Great Pyrenees
Cody   3 Tibetan Mastiff
ChiChi 1.5 Caucasian Ovcharka
John and Nicki Maine Coon cats

Offline PandoraPyr

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2008, 02:32:00 pm »
 I can certainly understand the thought process behind what you are saying. But, in all realistic terms, all dogs are trainable. Moses is one of the most important members of our family, so yes I do expect him to follow basic rules. Don't take anything off the counter, Don't destroy my house.
He learned it all beautifully. It also allows me to take him to daycares and hospitals, where they do not "remove" temptations. It makes my life easier in the end. We will have to agree to disagree about the fundamentals of raising a pry.

Offline patrick

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
    • Great Pyrenees
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2008, 04:34:19 pm »
I have 7 Pyrs and also find them very willing to integrate into family life. Even as puppies-they are so smart they often don't even need any formal training to learn basic rules - like don't destroy the house.  Extremely social they are great with kids, other animals and yes even go into nursing homes with great manners.  I'm not sure what you are disagreeing with?  Any dog can learn good basic manners for sure.  And having had multiple breeds over the years I find the Pyrs one of the easiest to teach basic house manners to.  But I still wouldn't leave a roast at eye and nose level untended for several hours and that has nothing to do with the breed!!! :>)

Offline Binky

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2008, 06:08:42 pm »
This is an interesting post...for the most part, I feel that everyone on this board has "reasonable" and high expectations for their giant dogs' behaviour.  Binky is a Pyr and passed her CGC test with flying colors.  She knows not to take food off the coffee table and does not "counter surf," and the small dogs are also trained not to steal food.  However, I would not, as Patrick said, leave a piece of meat out to tempt them.  Sophie, our Leonberger pup, on the other hand, does surf and can't be trusted out of sight at all.  I do not "accept" this behaviour, but realize that there is a period of training to go through.  Maybe you have read posts about funny/bad things that people's dogs have done but it's nice to share such stories as we can all relate and I don't think that it's a matter of tolerating "bad" behaviour, Pyr or not.
Binky-Great Pyrenees
Sophie-Leonberger
McDougal-Papillon
Chicklet-Papillon
Sigfried-Cat  RIP Sigs
Spooky-Cat
Jasper-Nigerian Dwarf goat
Ferdinand-Nigerian Dwarf goat

Offline BigSoftandFluffyLover

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2008, 11:43:38 pm »
I agree completely!!! Just because Rasputin is a very intelligent dog and will wait till your back is turned to open the child locks and get into the brownie dough in the cupboard and be lying on the couch 2 min later looking completely innocent except for the brown goo on his muzzle, doesnt mean that he doesnt get put in time out and shown his wrongs.  I think that it is a mutual understanding that Pyr owners come together and b*tch about because once you have a Pyr you never go back but damn can they be obnoxious sometimes!!!  :D :D

Offline GoldenPyrs

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2008, 12:59:04 am »
My Pyrs are actually less likely to counter or table surf than my Golden.  I don't see those behaviors as having much to do with breed, just individual dogs.  Things like digging, barking, roaming...thos e are very typical Pyr characteristic s.  I think that trying to eliminate those particular traits is like trying to stop a Heeler from nipping at heels or keeping retriever breeds out of water, IMO not too likely.   :-\ 

We've had 4 Pyrs now and each of them have been individuals.  As a young dog Cara counter surfed, dug, barked, climbed fences, chewed, etc.  Halley only dug & barked (occasionally).  Sammy digs when he gets the chance, but Cassie wouldn't be caught with dirt anywhere on her pretty coat.  LOL  ;D   The only thing that could make them more perfect to me though is if I could still have Cara & Halley with us.   :(  I wouldn't have given up the opportunity to love any of them for the world!   :-*
Marie

And my pups:
Daisy a 9 y/o Golden/Lab mix
Sammy a 6-7(?) y/o Great Pyrenees adopted 3/07
Cassie a 3 y/o Pyr/Mystery Snuggle Bunny mix adopted 2/07

My angel girls waiting at the Bridge:
Cara 1989-2001 Great Pyrenees
Sally ? - 1993 Dobie(rescued '92)
Halley 2002-2006 Great Pyrenees