Author Topic: Invisible Fence  (Read 12704 times)

Offline greek4

• Majestic Member
  • Kole with Maia, Baxter, Rocco, and Cody
    • View Profile
Invisible Fence
« on: July 14, 2005, 11:07:12 am »
How do you guys feel about invisible fences?

I have a chain link fence with an invisible fence along the inside and around the front of the house.  We installed it to keep Rocco from bolting out the front or over the fence in back.  The line has since been cut, God knows where, so the invisible fence doesn't even work anymore but Rocco only had to get shocked 3 times and now he doesn't jump or bolt.

My dogs are always in the house (in their cages) when I am at work but on the weekend I let them stay in the yard when I am only going to gone for short periods of time.  I will be moving soon and don't know if I can find a house with a fence in my price range.  I was thinking about just putting in another invisible fence but I am afraid that other dogs (or people) will come into my yard and get my dogs.  I love the fact that I can put the dogs out and get things done in the house and not worry. 

I don't want to tie them out because then I would still have to stay out with them so they didn't try to play and get all tangled up.  What should I do?   What kind of fences do you guys have?  Is chain link the cheapest?
Thanks,

Emily and 1 husband, 1 boy, 1 on the way, and 4 crazy dogs

GYPSY JAZMINE

Re: Invisible Fence
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2005, 11:09:44 am »
We put up chain link for Samson a few months back..It's the BEST thing we ever could have done!!!...I think we fenced in almost 2/3 an acre & it cost us over $3000.00...The peace of mind that goes with it is PRICELESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2005, 11:10:16 am »
We're getting one installed one of these days.  I think they're great ideas and don't make it really hard to mow around and stuff. 
I think we got quoted $1500 for our 1acre yard.  I'd rather go with the name brand Invisible Fence and not an imitation or self-install fences since I know from experience that they don't work.

Offline greek4

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2005, 11:11:41 am »
Did you install it yourself or have it installed?  I had to buy a replacement top bar and it was over $9, I can just imagine how much the 50 of them needed to do a whole yard would be.   I am pretty handy as in I can follow directions but not so much as I innately know what to do.
Thanks,

GYPSY JAZMINE

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2005, 11:15:37 am »
I wanted to save $ & install it ourselves but my hubby was driving semi & was gone 5 days a week & I didn't want to wait long so we had it installed...It is a pricier fencing then you can find in a home improvement type store though so you could probably get by for less $ if you wanted to.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2005, 11:32:23 am by GYPSY JAZMINE »

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2005, 11:16:21 am »
We've priced chain links before and they are more expensive than the invisible fence.

Offline greek4

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2005, 11:24:07 am »
My Dad and I spent $275 installing the invisible fence

Trencher Rental $50
Invisible Fence box $150
Extra Wire $25
2 Lg Collars $50

It was his house warming gift to me. 
If I install again the only expenses I would have would be more wire and the trencher.
Thanks,

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2005, 11:40:57 am »
Sweet! 
If you get it installed for you...you get trainging and service and stuff. 
I think we just need a ton of wire in our yard.  But I think $1500 is still ok considering they follow up.

nickerbokker

« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2005, 12:04:50 pm »
when we built our home, we didn't have any kind of fence at all, so i always had to walk tyler on a leash and he never got to run around it or anything....wh en he died, i felt sooo guilty....SO, when i got cody, i put in an invisible fence right away, and it was 1500.  it was SOO worth it.  it was around the whole property, front and back, so he got so sit on the front porch while i was on the porch swing, or he got so sit under the deck while i was laying out.  he also got to run laps around the house like a race dog lmao. 

i think the biggest draw back to that kind of fence is that it keeps your dog in, but doesn't keep others out.  the neighbors around the block had dogs, some big and some small, and they would come right into our yard.  cody got parvo at 9 months, and were thinkin thats what its from.  we were also always worrried about fleas and worms and stuff being passed to him.  not to mention, a mean dog attacking him. 

if i move home, i am going to have to install a real fence, i will do a wooden fence because i think they are prettier, but i cannot have a yard that people can into when angus is out there.  god knows what he will do. 

i think the invisible fence is a really good thing though.  it is inexpensive compared to regular fencing, easy to mow over  ;), doesn't obstruct your view or your neighbors view, and can give you a larger dog yard than a regular fence could provide.  and i think overall, the smart dogs wont test it once shocked a couple of times. 

and plus, if you already have the box and all that, it is a wonderful idea!!!!!!!!

good luck!

when is the move date?

Offline RedyreRottweilers

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
    • Redyre Rottweilers
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2005, 12:06:27 pm »
IMO invisible fences are not suitable for breeds who may have ANY guarding tendencies. In fact, I would not recomend them for ANY breed of dog without other physical fencing as a backup.l

I have owned an invisible fence, the real Invisible Fence brand. My dogs would occasionally run out of the fence and not be able to get back in.

The main drawback esp. for breeds like a Rottweiler is that it does not keep anything out. This translates to a HUGE liability for you, and certain loss in court should your dog ever accidentally or intentionally injure anyone who comes on your property.

They may work fine for some people. In fact, my parents have one for their dog and they love it. However, for my money, I would never have another one except INSIDE another fence to keep dogs out of certain areas.

I specifically forbid them as a primary method of confinement in my sales contract.
Redyre Rottweilers
redyre@carolina.rr.com
No part of this message may be forwarded without my permission.

GR8DAME

« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2005, 12:11:58 pm »
We have a chain-link fence that we put up to replace an invisible fence. The invisible fence worked fine to keep my dogs in, but on two separate occaisions my dogs were attacked by my nieghbors two pit bulls (sorry pit parents, but that is what they were)that were allowed to roam freely through the neighborhood. While injuries to my dogs were minor I could see the problem just escalating, and the chain link keeps the other animals out as well as mine in. Just a thought.
Stella

ann

« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2005, 12:14:19 pm »
  i'm with you Red,we put up chain link and i love it ,i feel so secure that my dogs can't get out and no dogs get in....and i just can't shock my dogs ,i'm not putting anyone down for it but just something i feel strongly about

ann
« Last Edit: July 14, 2005, 12:17:49 pm by ann »

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2005, 12:20:40 pm »
Well Poop!  THe people we talked to knew we had at least one Rott at the time.   

Offline RedyreRottweilers

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
    • Redyre Rottweilers
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2005, 12:26:30 pm »
Sorry, Lins.

If I had Rotties I'd sure be looking at a different alternative.

:)
Redyre Rottweilers
redyre@carolina.rr.com
No part of this message may be forwarded without my permission.

nickerbokker

« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2005, 12:27:32 pm »
 i'm with you Red,we put up chain link and i love it ,i feel so secure that my dogs can't get out and no dogs get in....and i just can't shock my dogs ,i'm not putting anyone down for it but just something i feel strongly about

ann

i know what you mean!  i cried when the trainer shocked cody.  he was only shocked once, he learned by the flags from there out....but i cried cried cried.  but here is MY train of thought.  i couldn't afford a 5grand wooden fence at the time, didn't think it was fair to only walk him on leash when we HAD a yard to begin with, and didn't want to run the risk of him getting hit by a car.  i think a shock is a small price to pay compared to dead dog. 

and if it makes you feel better, i shocked myself first.  hurt like a mother.