Author Topic: Invisible Fence  (Read 12703 times)

GYPSY JAZMINE

Re: Invisible Fence
« Reply #30 on: July 15, 2005, 11:34:36 am »
[quote author=greek4 link=topic=1757.msg17785#msg17785 date=1121432136

I will have to resort to chaining them until I can get a fence at my new place.  Maia might just have to walked on leash or the shock collar (I know it is bad but it works and it makes me feel better, plus Maia has never been shocked, just the beep is enough for her to get her attention).
greek4, We all love our dogs here...no doubt...& we do what we need to to keep them safe...Though I never had to use a shock collar & I prefer not to, everyone's situation is different...Yo u need not apologize for keeping your dog safe in the best way you can. :)

Offline greek4

• Majestic Member
  • Kole with Maia, Baxter, Rocco, and Cody
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 15, 2005, 12:25:26 pm »
thanks Gypsy
Thanks,

Emily and 1 husband, 1 boy, 1 on the way, and 4 crazy dogs

GR8DAME

« Reply #32 on: July 15, 2005, 03:29:56 pm »
Well put, Gypsy.
We're not in the judgement business here, we're here to support each other and love our dogs. You have to do what is best for you and yours, after all, only you know what can and cannot work for you and your dogs based on their size, personality and character.
Stella

Offline rockettgirl68

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • chance precious an john
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 15, 2005, 04:21:00 pm »
so right  i just checked out prices at the home depot here it looks like i will be able to make my fence higher ;D sadly not as high as i want it has to be 6 ft :'(
http://p2.forumforfree.com/furbabies.html
a place to talk about all your pets regardless what they are

Offline pndlake

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 15, 2005, 04:21:12 pm »
Boy, you are all right.  Every dog and every situation is different.  It can be very frutstrating at times, but you have to do what needs to be done to keep everyone safe.

My question is (since I have no experience with an invisible fence) can't deer, bears and elephants  ;D go through a fence where a dog is contained? How do they react when that happens?  Do they just chase them out and stay behind in their area? Can it sometimes create a hazard for the dog.   In developments that do not allow fencing of any kind, do all the dogs neatly stay in their designated fenced areas?  I assume some developments backyard areas are all open and you can see for miles. I have noticed that on the East Coast and the MidWest.   Here in California we all have fenced- in areas but in some of the newer developments, the houses are close together, are two story and have tiny, tiny fenced in areas.

My own expience with dog fences are hard-learned lessons.  I have a large fenced in area (fencing material is post and rail with hog-wire stretched tightly on fence).  Well one of my dogs started digging under and jumping over the fence.  I needed to put a hotwire on it so I got out an old horse wire charger and strung on along the fence line.  Pretty soon I was finding dead birds on the property which I hated because I love blue jays and finches.  Figured it out and went down to purchase a dog-sized charger and it worked fine.  I needed even then to position the wire away from the fence so birds could not put one claw on the wire and the other on the fence to create a bad situation.  After awhile, I did not even need to use it, but if I get a new pup, I will charge it again. . We are getting more and more traffic out here and we must be safe.  Lilke I say, every situation is different.

Peggy
Peggy

nickerbokker

« Reply #35 on: July 15, 2005, 04:34:57 pm »
when we built our house in missouri, it was a brand new subdivision, and fences were looked down on.  they HAVE TO BE white or wood, no chain link....for about 2 years, everyone had invisible fences and it looked GREAT!  my whole area of the neighborhood was visible, and beautiful.  all the dogs stayed in their yards (who had invisible fences that is), and it worked out great.  another plus to my neighborhood was a crazy man....who would shoot any dog (BBgun), that came on his street without a leash in an owners hand. that greatly helped people to keep their dogs on leash, or in their yards.  then, thses a holes put up an UGLY UGLY wooden fence, and all heck broke loose.  from there, 5 other people in our back yard area put up fences, and it looked a mess.  this one retard, built a white fence, but for about a 20 ft protion of it, attached it to a wooden fence to save money, so it looks terrible!  now there is a combo of fences, and invisible fences.  if i move home, im building a wooden one to keep in my monsters. 

for being a "nice" neighborhood, that doesn't allows sheds, visible dishes, front yard fences, grass above 7 inches alll that stuff...they sure underestimated what trash people could make our neighborhood with different colored fences and all that.  looks terrible!  for that reason, i LOVE invisible fences. although they aren't nearly as fullproof as the real deal.

GYPSY JAZMINE

« Reply #36 on: July 15, 2005, 05:07:32 pm »
My question is (since I have no experience with an invisible fence) can't deer, bears and elephants  ;D go through a fence where a dog is contained? How do they react when that happens?  Do they just chase them out and stay behind in their area? Can it sometimes create a hazard for the dog.  
The answer to your question is yes..other animals can come into the area which is one of the drawbacks to invisible fencing...I personally don't know how they react but I would sumise they either fight or flee if they are uncomfortable with the animal that comes in...If they do flee to get away from the other animal I don't think they would take the zap to get back into their yard which is yet another problem.

Offline rockettgirl68

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • chance precious an john
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 15, 2005, 06:02:50 pm »
gypsy  i dont know if i posted back to you but yes you are right about that chained dog thing i had forgotten to add that as well lol many people do chain a dog and then ignore it ty for adding that             
http://p2.forumforfree.com/furbabies.html
a place to talk about all your pets regardless what they are