Author Topic: Grrrrr! Newbie know-it-all-parents  (Read 11212 times)

Offline slickerk

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
Re: Grrrrr! Newbie know-it-all-parents
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2005, 08:47:32 am »
I can't stand people like that (and that goes for any subject, not just dogs). I have wanted a Rottweiler for like 10 years and have done major research on the breed. But I usually don't let on that I know as much as I do, because then people don't think that you want thier opinions on things. And I am always open for suggestions and ideas.
 :D funny story wlemons!

Icerotti

« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2005, 08:58:30 am »
I know what you mean Vizslamaniac. People are always oh what a cute choc lab. I was walking out of the vets and a girl who had just dropped off her resume to them said "oh whata cute puppy...what is it a choc lab?" And you want to work in a vets office hmmmmmmmm. First of all he has red hair!
I have not met another V owner in person yet- the closest we have come and will be meeting Tues night at obedience for the first time is a weimer. At least there will be 2 spazzy dogs in class.lol
If I saw another V owner I would probably park my big SUV in the middle of the road and go running over to them. Just to get advice about raising , training etc. I think I emailed every V owner on this board(all three..lol) right vizslamaniac. ;D

I won't even start with all the rotti advice I have been given. That all they are is vicious and they are going to eat your daughter..blah ...blah...blah ..and that is really all I hear after someone with that opinion starts talking. ::)
« Last Edit: August 01, 2005, 09:03:43 am by Icerotti »

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2005, 09:01:39 am »
What a cute Golden Retriever, Ice Rotti!  :) 

I get that Rotti thing too...like every one is bent on them being mean and vicious that they all want to tell me how to keep them from being that way.  :)  At least my dog can take their dog and I won't have to listen anymore. 

Offline slickerk

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2005, 09:03:54 am »
Yeah, I already have people warning me that they won't come to my house anymore because my dog is going to eat them.

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2005, 09:06:29 am »
It's all in how we raise them.  :)  Mine are such big sissy's they wouldn't eat anyone...just love em to death. 

So those people can stop coming to the house...if they're that afraid of Rotts.   I don't like poddles...but I've been in the same house as a poodle before.

Icerotti

« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2005, 09:08:12 am »
Very funny Lins :P ;)

Poor little Felony..people are scared of you already. It makes me laugh when people cross the street when they see you walking a rotti. I cross when I see the little phoo phoo dogs.--I don't want my ankles nipped.lol

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2005, 09:09:31 am »
Phoo Phoo.  :)  hahahahhaa
Yeah..Felony couldn't do more than a little ligament damage at this point.  maybe tear the skin a little.  :) 

I want a shirt that says..."She's not hungry! Thank you!"

Offline Newf Lover

• BPO Fanatic
  • Cool dog + Cold beer = Chilled Out
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ryanbrumley.com
« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2005, 09:16:54 am »
As Jim Morrison said, "People are Strange....."  Nutball dog owners are the same as Nutball Parents.  I personally think it's a serious character flaw and shows major sanity issues.  Whether the person is a know-it-all or if they are repulsed by your interest in their dog or if they talk on and on and on and on about their dog regardless to what you are saying, they have issues.  I call it Dog Park Psychology 101, it really is a dive into the human psyche pool.  I love Drake, he is a wonderful dog and I like sharing him with others.  But I never try to play it off that I'm some Newf expert or that I need to educate the world on Newfs.  If people ask me about him or the breed, I try to answer their questions and leave it at that.  Some people just can't do that.  Many things can cause this, loneliness, bad childhood, ADHD or just plain nuttiness, but it never ceases to catch me off gaurd.  I always wonder, "Do they realize how odd they are?"
« Last Edit: August 01, 2005, 09:19:40 am by Newf Lover »
My Newfoundland Lives My Life As Passionately As I Live His.

Icerotti

« Reply #23 on: August 01, 2005, 09:18:38 am »
 I do have a funny storey about Katie out rot that just passed. We had a New Years Eve party and someone let the dog out of the room we had her in. (We had her in a room by herself-just too many people-I didn't want her to get let outside.) Anyways, My friends husband was sitting on the couch and he was calling my husband over very discretly. It seem Katie had found herself a seat next to him on the couch sitting straight up so she was the same height as him. Everytime my friends husband would talk Katie would turn her head and growl at him. He would stop talking she would quit growling and look around and enjoy the party. He would start to talk..she would growl.  It was a joke with my friends husband for a long time.  They are now divorced..hmmm mmm I wonder if Katie knew something!!!!!
« Last Edit: August 01, 2005, 09:23:14 am by Icerotti »

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #24 on: August 01, 2005, 09:21:38 am »
Oh that's funny! 

Offline Joji

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 01, 2005, 09:21:42 am »
What a great story!!  I would say your dog definitely knew something about that guy!  <bg>
If you think dogs can't count, try putting three dog biscuits in your pocket and then giving Fido only two of them. -Phil Pastoret

GYPSY JAZMINE

« Reply #26 on: August 01, 2005, 09:31:52 am »
I hear ya' Jaba!...When I got Samson I was desperate for any & all advise I could get from experienced Pyr owners in light of his temperment problem & my being a first time dog owner...Pyrs are truely rare around here so I was always ESTATIC to find anyone who knew the breed...I knew what I had researched but that's just not the same as actually knowing these dogs...Same as people who try to raise their kids by a book...It doesn't work...Anyway, I had people tell me Samson was a mix because he had color & when I would try to explain that quite alot of Pyrs are born with color that only like 18% kept that color into adulthood I would get everything from dubious or condesending looks to flat out being called a liar...I didn't bother too much with those kind of people...I was looking for answers for having the happiest dog I could!...Yup, people suck!...lol!

Offline Leah-n-boy-os

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 01, 2005, 10:43:46 am »
Jabear - I'm sorry that your interaction with that lady went so badly. Take heart that perhaps she will at least keep you in the back of her mind, and that her pride will not be so big that when she does have questions, she will come here and ask them. It's what I always hope for when Apollo and I meet with disharmony on our travels out and about.

Apollo is a St. Bernard/Chow/andalittlesomethin'else. The opinions/questions range from "Chows are terrible, aggreesive dogs, how can you be such a bad parent as to have THAT dog around your children?" to "Wow, is he going to spaz and eat us all like Cujo did?". (thank you Mr. Stephen King.) I take it all with a grain of salt and a healthy dose of pity for the idiots out there. ::) I know, as do my lovely children, that Apollo would rather hurt himself than ever cause my family any pain. He idolizes my sons, and I have no doubt that he would lay down his life for any of us. Hateful people about, and stupidity is rampant in regards to our gentle giants. The only way we can keep fighting is by continuing to face the idiocy and present the information. Let them digest it or deny it as they will.
Leah and the Boy-os
Apollo (Akita/St. Bernard)
Zeus (Heinz 57)
Onyx (Newfoundland)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Being owned by Big Paws just indicates how big your heart is.

located - Gig Harbor, WA

Offline slickerk

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 04, 2005, 09:49:01 am »
I am gonna get a bandanna for Felony and have it screen printed to say "don't temp me". Just kidding... it has become a running joke around here. People just make me wonder, ya know... why would I get a dog if I was gonna let it get mean, I have two children here.
It is mainly people who know nothing about dogs that say it. I am not worried though, my husband doesn't really like company anyway!

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #29 on: August 04, 2005, 10:35:45 am »
their brains get too big for their heads?  OH MY GOSH!   :-X