Author Topic: Do You Get Excited When You See Your Breed In Public?  (Read 10346 times)

Offline Newf Lover

• BPO Fanatic
  • Cool dog + Cold beer = Chilled Out
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ryanbrumley.com
Do You Get Excited When You See Your Breed In Public?
« on: December 04, 2005, 03:00:26 pm »
I get really excited when, purely by chance, I see other Newfies in public.  Yesterday, we were on a Birthday Party/Wine Tasting trip in Sonoma and as we were pulling into the first winery, there was a woman walking down the road with a HUGE Landseer Newf.  I just got really excited like I always do, I guess it's because the only Newfs I ever see are Drake and Yogi so when I see someone else's monster, it's kind of a shock.  WOW!  I think this is why I love Newfs so much, they never cease to amaze me.  Is anybody out there like that when they see other Newfs or Danes or Pyrs or Berners or whatever breed you own?  Or am I the only weirdo?  ???   
« Last Edit: December 04, 2005, 03:01:44 pm by Newf Lover »
My Newfoundland Lives My Life As Passionately As I Live His.

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
Re: Do You Get Excited When You See Your Breed In Public?
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2005, 03:02:12 pm »
You are SO not alone.  I'll stop the car if I see one while I'm driving!!!!  I LOVE seeing other Newfs.  I just love them all!!!! ::)

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2005, 03:06:39 pm »
yes!  and I stop to pet them if I can.  I get a lot of Rott owners who stop me too amazingly.

Blair

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2005, 03:09:32 pm »
I get excited when I see any big aws in public LOL But I about die when I see danes around here. I am yet to see another dane see I get Grey though  :(. One day I will though and I will pass out out of excitement  :D

Offline Binky

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2005, 03:12:00 pm »
Me too!  I have only seen two Pyrs besides Binky since we got her and I got so excited!  We were in the car and I saw a woman walking with this ENORMOUS animal and I said to my husband "WOW look at the size of that dog!  That's crazy!  Can you imagine having a dog like that?"  And he said "Yes, I've always told you that you are CRAZY-we DO have a dog like that!"  Haha!  I just can't fully grasp the fact that Binky is going to grow that much!  To be fair though, this Pyr was much bigger than any I've ever seen, before or since!
I also get ridiculously excited when I see a Newf because they're so goofy and cute.  In fact, now that I think of it, I get ridiculously excited about seeing any big dog!  Also, when I see a giant dog, I wonder if its human is on this site!  Yes, I am a weirdo!  Too much BPO!
Binky-Great Pyrenees
Sophie-Leonberger
McDougal-Papillon
Chicklet-Papillon
Sigfried-Cat  RIP Sigs
Spooky-Cat
Jasper-Nigerian Dwarf goat
Ferdinand-Nigerian Dwarf goat

cricket36580

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2005, 03:14:29 pm »
Oh yeah!  I've been known to run people down to see their dogs.  I've stopped along the road...and had people look at me like I had lost my mind.  I guess they figure either I'm crazy or dog crazy cause they usually talk to me.  I get stopped all of the time too.  My 2 go everywhere with me and people aren't accostomed to seeing beasts like these.

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2005, 03:17:32 pm »
I've been known to get my camera and take pictures when I see a cool dog while driving.   :-[

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2005, 03:18:23 pm »
Oh yeah!  I've been known to run people down to see their dogs.  I've stopped along the road...and had people look at me like I had lost my mind.  I guess they figure either I'm crazy or dog crazy cause they usually talk to me.  I get stopped all of the time too.  My 2 go everywhere with me and people aren't accostomed to seeing beasts like these.
I see a few Danes here. they are so cool looking.

Offline nohesnotahorse

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2005, 03:19:24 pm »
I'm the same way... I love seeing other Danes (and other big paws in general).  I always try to meet the pooch and the person and exchange "saddle stories"... LoL
Tom, Overwhelmed, Overrun and Overruled by Feste, Chance and Puck!
'Aide toi et Dieu t'aidera.' (God helps those who help themselves.)
'Fortes fortuna juvat.' (Fortune favors the brave.)

Offline Newf Lover

• BPO Fanatic
  • Cool dog + Cold beer = Chilled Out
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ryanbrumley.com
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2005, 03:22:18 pm »
OH GOOD!  I'm glad I'm not the only one, I figured as much.  It is amazing what other Newf owners have done to come see Drake.  U-Turns in the middle of busy streets, slapping on the brakes and screeching their tires, waving me down and getting me to stop my car.  It's so funny but really nice to see.  I was waiting at a crosswalk with Drake one day and this guy on the other side of the intersection, runs out into the busy traffic, almost getting hit several times, gets stuck on the island while trucks zoom within inches of him on both sides, gets a clear spot and runs into the street and almost gets hit by another car and then he finally reaches our side of the intersection.  I was thinking, "What the heck is this guy doing?  He almost got killed!"  The guy walks up to me, very non-chalantly, and says, "I just wanted to pet your Newf, I have 3 of them at home."  I was flabergasted at what he had just put himself through just to come see my Newf.  But I probably would have done the same.  He was just excited to see another Newf.  ;D
My Newfoundland Lives My Life As Passionately As I Live His.

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2005, 03:27:06 pm »
Hmmmm.  Lucky you identified him as a man.  I thought it might have been me ;D ;D!!!  I would have done that to love on Drake!!!

Offline Kermit

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2005, 03:29:33 pm »
I have all mutts, but whenever I see another dog who even remotely resembles one of mine I have a freakout... I think I would be pretty bad if I had a purebred dog. I'd be one of those people who buys every single thing possible of their breed... statues, t-shirts, magnets, stationary, socks... (my boyfriend has Scottish Terrier socks and he doesn't even have a scottie!)
I think we are all dog-freaks. ;D
(I'm a proud dog-freak!)

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2005, 03:44:00 pm »
Of course!!  I don't see that many danes around here, and the ones I do see I already know them.  But I did have a job last month and across the street lived a brindle dane.  They let it run around in their front yard unsupervised, so I always waited by my car each day until I saw someone come out........... .........they I would go and say hello.  Twice I had the dogs with me and their dane crawled right into my car b/c I had the driver's side door open.  She wanted to meet Gunther.   :D

But I stop just about anyone who has any breed of dog you don't see too often.  Last time we were at Petsmart, a young couple had 2 st. bernards there.  And I've been known to stop people with a variety of mastiffs before.  Down at the beach once there was a camper parked along the road and they had a doggie playpen out, with about 4 mastiffs, and 5 puppies in there.f  I would have stopped, but I had my two with me and the mastiffs were having a fit about it.  I did stop on the way back, as the dogs were back in the camper.

Kiahpyr

« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2005, 03:50:03 pm »
I get very excited!!!! I've only met one other pyr. A ups driver has told me that another pyr lives in my neighborhood. I haven't seen it yet. I know most people think anything white is a pyr, so I don't know how true that really is. They also think pyrs are black too! ;)

Offline Tulsas' Dad

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2005, 03:56:50 pm »
Dogs makes us all GOOFY!
The scientific name for an animal that doesn't either run from or fight its enemies, is Lunch.--Michael Friedman