Author Topic: Barking-Discipline?  (Read 9541 times)

Offline MyDyson

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • Dyson
    • View Profile
Re: Barking-Discipline?
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2006, 11:21:06 am »
I guess I'm lucky, Dyson is not a barker.  He just sleeps, eats, and guards our little girl by walking beside her where ever she roams.

Randy

I guess he just took a while to develope.  He Barks all the time in the evenings now..  Should of kept my mouth Shut.. :-)  I thought it was pretty funny looking through the forum and finding this, when I myself am looking for suggestions now.
Randy & Jennifer Wilkerson
St. Louis, MO

Gypsy Jazmine

« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2006, 11:37:59 am »
I guess I'm lucky, Dyson is not a barker.  He just sleeps, eats, and guards our little girl by walking beside her where ever she roams.

Randy
Pippin' breeder told me to never correct a Pyr for barking unless you know what they are barking at...We follow that here...I've found that if I tell Sammy "no barks" & "settle" that calms him but he takes his cues from my mood so he has to believe me that it's o.k....I have also found that Sam barks alot more appropriatly the older he gets...He will be 2 in July...Pippin is still a maniac with his barking...I believe he too will bark more appropriatly as he gets closer to adulthood...He will be 16 months old on the 19th...I just work with them on acceptable barking but I don't stress too much over it...I do stay considerate of my neighbors & only let them out to potty before 8 in the morning on weekdays & 9 a.m. on weekends...Als o after 10 at night unless I am in the yard with them.

I guess he just took a while to develope.  He Barks all the time in the evenings now..  Should of kept my mouth Shut.. :-)  I thought it was pretty funny looking through the forum and finding this, when I myself am looking for suggestions now.

Offline MyDyson

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • Dyson
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2006, 11:45:16 am »

Randy
Pippin' breeder told me to never correct a Pyr for barking unless you know what they are barking at...We follow that here...I've found that if I tell Sammy "no barks" & "settle" that calms him but he takes his cues from my mood so he has to believe me that it's o.k....I have also found that Sam barks alot more appropriatly the older he gets...He will be 2 in July...Pippin is still a maniac with his barking...I believe he too will bark more appropriatly as he gets closer to adulthood...He will be 16 months old on the 19th...I just work with them on acceptable barking but I don't stress too much over it...I do stay considerate of my neighbors & only let them out to potty before 8 in the morning on weekdays & 9 a.m. on weekends...Als o after 10 at night unless I am in the yard with them.

I'd keep him inside, but he destoys everything.  I tried kenneling him at first, but he became a kennel pooper and waking up to that every morning killed me.  I even stuck his kennel outside with the Door opened and he still used it for #2.  Tried the Nature's miracle thing with no success on that as well.  U just have to love those big old barking pyr's.
St. Louis, MO

Gypsy Jazmine

« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2006, 11:49:54 am »

Randy

I'd keep him inside, but he destoys everything.  I tried kenneling him at first, but he became a kennel pooper and waking up to that every morning killed me.  I even stuck his kennel outside with the Door opened and he still used it for #2.  Tried the Nature's miracle thing with no success on that as well.  U just have to love those big old barking pyr's.

Where'd you get Dyson?...Most dogs won't poop in their crate unless they are sick or something...Ve ry strange he'd go in there witht he door opened...Being as he is outside I'd say you'll have to spend time with him out there working specifically with the barking issue...I know of my dogs were outside all of the time they'd have me 1/2 nuts! :-\

doggylover

« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2006, 12:09:35 pm »
Badger started that going to the door every 3 minutes thing about a year ago.  It was SO fun to make mama get up and run to do his bidding.  Now, I let him out when I know he needs to go, or if I'm in the mood to let him out.  All I have to do now is give him the look if he is bugging me at the door and he drops his head and does the long march back to his bed.
My dog is so abused.  I wonder if there is like child protective services that should come out and remove him!
 :D

Offline MyDyson

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • Dyson
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2006, 04:43:40 am »

Randy

Where'd you get Dyson?...Most dogs won't poop in their crate unless they are sick or something...Ve ry strange he'd go in there witht he door opened...Being as he is outside I'd say you'll have to spend time with him out there working specifically with the barking issue...I know of my dogs were outside all of the time they'd have me 1/2 nuts! :-\

I got him from my Uncle in notheast Missouri.  He was 5 months old when he was pooing in the crate outside.  Crate was tossed and he lived without shelter for a couple of months which didn't seem to bother him at all..  I know, I'm a bad dad.  We did build him a great big doghouse and he only uses that now when its cold or rains for a long time.  He doesn't bark constantly but it does annoy my pregnant wife and my neighbors sometimes. 
St. Louis, MO

Offline BabsT

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2006, 06:00:26 am »
Anything annoys a pregnant wife LOL  I know, I am one... My chara will go to the bay window, plop herself down and literally bark at the moon... DRIVES ME NUTS LOL 

Have you tried teaching the quiet command... Acknowledge what they are barking at and then give a small pat and then tell him enough

Also running a fan or AC helps reduce the noise outside....

Lately (knock on wood) neither dog has been barking at night

You can also tell her that there could be those times when he is infact doing his job and keeping the bad guys away
Zero 23mth  Central Asian Ovcharka
Anchara 16mth old Caucasian Ovcharka

Offline smsmith

• Leader of the Pack
  • Einstein has changed my life -- for the good!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2006, 08:20:36 am »
Wow -- what a coincidence.  I was just about to post a question about this barking thing.  Since January (when he came to live with me) Einstein has been VERY considerate about barking in the middle of the night.  Lately, though, he's started barking at 1 am, or thereabouts.  Could be a shift change for one of my neighbors -- causing Einstein to freak because there's someone stirring who isn't ordinarily stirring.

I have to say, by keeping my "calm-assertive" posture, smiling, using a soft touch, I praised Einstein for being such a good guard, loved on him and told him how beautiful he is, and asked him to please not bark anymore because I needed to sleep.

OMIGOD -- I swear he understood me.  He came and laid right by the bed (for about 1/2 hour).  I think the more calm and loving I am with him, the more devoted he becomes.    I even asked him to lay down and he did it!

He definitely is an exception to Cesar's rule about Exercise, Discipline and Affection, in THAT order.  He gets daily exercise, but the more affection he gets, the better our connection.  (Reading Bones Falling (Raining?) from the Sky right now)

Sarah

Offline longshadowfarms

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
    • Longshadow Farms
« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2006, 11:13:55 am »
Not sure how much I can help but I think I have a few interesting observations as one who has working LGDs.  When Carter came to us, it was suspected that it was because he barked too much at his prior home.  He had to be sedated at the rescue home or he'd bark all night long (indoors in a crate because he barked too much outside).  His patrol area here is about 1 acre and we are in a very rural area.  We cannot see our closest neighbors, though they aren't that far away - maybe 1/5 of a mile.  He barked initially to kind of warn the local population that he was on guard but now, he RARELY patrol barks.  Almost all his barking now is at people walking past or wildlife near his turf.  He is a little more than 2 yrs old now so perhaps that plays in as well but his barking is all very appropriate and doesn't happen often despite the issues he's had at other locations.  I just wonder what would happen with some of these "problem barkers" if they were allowed more time outside guarding.  I wonder if they would begin to learn what barking was needed and what barking was not.  I wonder if trying to suppress the barking actually causes more of it??  Just some thoughts.
Daphne