Author Topic: Does anyone else's dog have it's own "real" bed?  (Read 2809 times)

Offline mixedupdog

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
Does anyone else's dog have it's own "real" bed?
« on: August 20, 2005, 07:02:00 pm »
I've had Great Danes or big mixed breeds all my adult life, most of them had their own twin bed, or an equivalent piece of "people" furniture, like a couch or a futon.  Earnest has his own twin bed (next to mine), and Phyfe has a twin size futon in my son's room. 
One of my first Danes was my mom's "grand dog" and Lady had a twin bed in the guest room at her granma's  house.  She also had a spot on the couch in front of the TV, sitting politely of course.

The other day a friend came over and noticed the bed (with Scooby-Doo sheets-LOL) and asked if my son was sleeping in my room. When I told her it was Earnest's bed and pulled a huge beef bone out of the covers, she was not amused. Now she thinks I'm crazy.

I find a people bed more convienient than a big dog bed. I have several sets of thrift store sheets and two comforters. They're easy to wash- a lot easier than all those odd-shaped mattresses, the dog's joints have plenty of support, and they're up off the floor out of drafts. The dogs themselves stay cleaner, too. 

Is my friend right? Am I nuts?

Offline Lesli310

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
Re: Does anyone else's dog have it's own "real" bed?
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2005, 08:50:00 pm »
No you are not nuts! Its a big dog thing my dogs had their own loveseat but it started to stink really bad so I moved it out and got them these cots to sleep on. I do plan on getting them a twin sized bed to sleep on soon. A lot of people used to look at me like I was crazy when I told them not to sit on that chair thats the dogs chair, but hey I have three Danes so they thik I'm crazy anyway.

Toester and Onyx on their chair!

Offline Tulsas' Dad

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2005, 09:11:51 pm »
I think you're crazy too!
But it's not a bad thing!
Is it?
John
The scientific name for an animal that doesn't either run from or fight its enemies, is Lunch.--Michael Friedman

Offline Anky

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2005, 09:46:57 pm »
Our dogs kind of sort of took over a bedroom.  It was a guest room/"throw everything in there when people are over so know one realizes how messy we are" room.  Well, eventually the dogs just started spending alot of time in there, and now it's their room.  We just change the sheets every once in a while.  The only pic I have of them on it is wicked old.  Sanity's still a baby, and Araby's jumping off the bed. 

Ang

« Last Edit: August 20, 2005, 09:56:21 pm by Anky »
BPO's Official Mistress of Mirth

Charter Member of the Official Suspicious Chicken Fan Club

"And you will know us by the trail of skank."

Kiahpyr

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2005, 11:27:02 am »
Kiah doesn't have a real bed to call her own. Since she's never been on a bed, she doesn't know the difference. I bought her a pet bed and she absolutely loves it.

Offline Moni

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2005, 10:20:30 pm »
Tenchi has his own personal couch and now a twin size mattress that are his, but he shares with his brothers and sisters.  lol  The couch was here when we moved in and it looked like it will be a PITA to get down our odd staircase, but was pretty beat up.  Then Spencer got a new mattress for his bed, so we put the old one in the computer room behind Tenchi's couch.  So now all the dogs have somewhere comfy to sleep.  ;)
BPO does not have my permission to use my photos.

Offline gerry

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2005, 02:13:27 pm »
My two lighter BB sleep on the bed with us, they have since they were puppies.  In the summer the female will stay on the bed as she can't get too far from me, the male sleeps on the floor because he gets too hot.  In the winter they both sleep on the bed, often even the rottie joins us.  One big happy family and not much room for me on the bed.  The wife still has plenty.  I guess that they do have a real bed.  The brindle puppy has a colaroo bed and he loves it.  Let's keep it this way as we don't have enough room for a 4th dog in hte same bed.

Gerry