Author Topic: Different tick bites?  (Read 2640 times)

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
Different tick bites?
« on: April 09, 2007, 12:00:17 pm »
Does anyone know how to recognize Lyme's tick bite? I have been removing ticks from Lily every now and then and today (for the first time) I have noticed that the areas where the ticks were had a big red circle and the middle of it is kind of infected (just a little bit). Usually, I use the "ticked off" and I can feel a little bump but that's it. I am worrying!!!
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
Re: Different tick bites?
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2007, 01:37:45 pm »
Lyme's Disease generally presents with an erythema migrans (EM) rash.  It is generally round or oval, and is either uniformly red or has a white ring in the middle (like a bulls-eye). 

Because the EM rash means a definite presence of the Lyme bacteria, I would definitely take her to the vet to get checked out.  Good luck, and keep us posted!
It looks like the circle is drying out though. The reason I don't want to take her to the vet yet is because it takes 10-30 days for Lyme's to show up positive. Also, from what I read, the tick had to be present for 2-3 days on dog's body in order to infect it and I know for sure that those ticks  didn't stay for this long. I inspect Lily every day and remove ticks like it's my night job, LOL!
I will keep you posted
Mary W. Crane

mama23+pyrs2

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2007, 01:46:48 pm »
Are ticks really common for them to get? Or does it depend on where you live? I've never had a problem with ticks on dogs. I remember one of my Golden's growing up getting 1 maybe on 2 occasions, but it was a rare thing.

I hope Lily doesn't have that though, ick!

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2007, 02:04:31 pm »
Are ticks really common for them to get? Or does it depend on where you live? I've never had a problem with ticks on dogs. I remember one of my Golden's growing up getting 1 maybe on 2 occasions, but it was a rare thing.

I hope Lily doesn't have that though, ick!
We live in MD and they are common here. I remove 1-2 a day!!! But that's because we are going hiking every day. You are in FL so you are good. When Lily was 4 months old we had to go to CT and stay at our relatives "forested" house. Gosh, I was taking 3-4 off of her every time I took her pee!
I hate ticks!
Mary W. Crane

mama23+pyrs2

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2007, 02:10:46 pm »
Ugh, that's so gross..I wouldn't want that job and poor Lily! I was just reading up on them and how common they are up there. I know they are here but not near as bad. Guess that's 2 things I can add to my 'good about Florida' list. That and the fact that the weather is nice in winter lol. :P

Offline sc.trojans

• Big Paws-a-holic
  • Gracie and Skylar
    • View Profile
    • Natural K9
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2007, 10:44:07 am »

Hi:

East Jenn provided a good description of the bullseye effect from the presence of Lyme.  It is also worth clarifying however that if the tick really pinched and was holding on good - even if not engorged - then it could leave behind quite a red welt.  The key is to look for the white inner bullseye, as red irritation in and of itself is not an indicator.

Good luck!
SC Trojans
with Gracie and Skylar