Author Topic: We lost Spooky yesterday  (Read 1494 times)

Offline Care2Adopt

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
    • Carolina Animal Rescue Experts
We lost Spooky yesterday
« on: May 02, 2008, 11:21:55 pm »
Remember Spooky? The beautiful fawn/white spotted boy I posted trying to figure out what breed he was?

We had to euthenize the poor boy yesterday. We had taken him to the vet to get his full work up and be neutered and learned some very disturbing things about his health.

Number 1) Once we had him on the table and could get a better look at him, our vet thought him closer to 9 years old, not 4 or 5 like the person told us.

Number 2) We had named him spooky because he would shy away and generally was.. spooky. He spooked easily and loud noises and fast movements towards him scared him badly. We found out why- he's almost completely blind. She thought he could see some.. but not much, and not well.

Number 3) Remember how I mentioned his "alligator snapping"? Where he would clip his jaws together rapidily and hard, almost like he was snapping, or barking silently? The vet watched him do it and believed it to be neurological. That coupled with the way he held himself made her believe that he had something seriously wrong with his brain. she thought that also might be the reason he was going blind.

Number 4) He was HW positive.. and I don't mean mildly. I mean heavy, heavy, heavy. I mean, the vet gasped when she took his test. I was standing in front of her after she snapped it shut and was watching the dots appear, and she had taken a sip from her coffee cup and I saw her eyes get wide and she spit her coffee back into the cup. Apparently, the first circle that doesnt even show up on most positive dogs, the one that means "Seriously pack your bags infected" showed up before the control one did.

We had already knocked him out in preperation for his neuter, but in light of all his tests the vet asked me if instead of neutering him, I would like to go ahead and let him cross and not have to put him through all of the crap it would take to get him even remotely healthy. I sat there and stroked his head which I had never been able to do until he was drugged and it only took me a few minutes to decide. So for the second time in 10 days I euthenized one of the rescues here. I've done it three times in 10 years- the first one being 7 years ago, but now two in 10 days. It's horrendous. I held him and kissed him while he was euthenized and then we drove his body to the humane society to be cremated there- they have this AMAZING memorial garden where they sprinkle the ashes- its a huge koi pond and water fall with statues and memorial stones and lots of plants and flowers and poems. It has its own rainbow bridge that you carry the ashes over before you sprinkle them in the pond. Its very beautiful.

So goodbye Spooky- Run free and wild aross the bridge, healthy and happy now, and we'll all curse the people who couldn't be bothered with a $15 dollar pill every month to keep you from getting heartworms, and yearly vet appointments.

Shawn and her
3 Golden paws
2 Kitty-paws
3 Macaws
6 lovebirds
4 ferrets
+ dozens and dozens o' rescues and fosters

Offline Ali

• BPO Fanatic
  • My girls!
    • View Profile
Re: We lost Spooky yesterday
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2008, 11:25:39 pm »
 :'( :'( :'(
Ali
mom of 4 humans AND
Tani (TAH-nee or rhymes with "Bonnie")- Aussie/Pittie?Boxer?Mutt!
Kai - Aussie/Dobie
Kenji - big ol' black cat
Mika and Nishi - kitty sisters, foster failures!
Tasia Ladysnake - ball python

Offline pyr4me

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2008, 05:37:11 am »
RIP Sweet Spooky.  :'( :'( :'(
Jennifer

Tipper (8 1/2 yrs) Golden Retriever/Sheltie mix
Jenny (4 yrs) Great Pyrenees
Gabriel (14 yrs) Sealpoint Himalayan cat
Melanie (11 yrs) Domestic medium hair cat

"You think dogs will not be in heaven? I tell you, they will be there long before any of us."
~Robert Lewis Steven

Offline marinafb

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2008, 06:16:20 am »
Sorry to hear that oh so sad  :'( :'( :'( :'(
Freya-9 years collie shepard mix
Milo-6 years Pitt Bull
Bryce-3 years English Mastiff
Mab and Angus cool cats

Offline kathryn

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2008, 01:32:18 pm »
I'm so sorry for your loss.  RIP Spooky
Kaila - Belgian Malinois
Shiner - Malinois x Ridgeback
Toulouse, Cayenne, Raven - DSH

Due to recent budget cuts and the rising cost of electricity, gas and oil, as well as current market conditions, the Light at the End of the Tunnel has been turned off. We apologize for the inconvenience