BPO Travel & Transport Forum > Transporting & Traveling With Dogs

Dog on a Plane- UPDATE

(1/2) > >>

SadieA:
SO... Sammy is flying (with me, except not with me in the passenger part of the plane, per se) from France to Boston on Wednesday! I've got all the important regulation-type-items figured out- all the vet visits, crate measurements, etc. But, I'm curious about any advice from those who have traveled with dogs before, just in terms of how to make the poor little guy as comfortable as possible.

He's very very used to his crate, as he sleeps in it every night, and his bed will be in there, and I figured I'd throw in all his favorite toys too. Then I was planning to freeze a bowl of water, with a toy or treat hiding inside, to make sure he has water mid-trip. And of course I'll write his name all over his crate in the perhaps futile hope it will encourage someone to talk to him on the trip. But, any thoughts on other ways to make this as painless as possible for him? My general impression is that sedation is BAD, are we all agreed on that?

Thanks so much, all!

patrick:
DO not sedate!!  It prevents the dog from being able to acclimate to changes in air pressure and temp while flying.  Most airlines prohibit sedation of any kind and if they think your dog is under the influence they will not let him board.  I don't give water during flight - it can slosh around and a wet crate is even more uncomfortable.  I do put a toy, a chewy and some dog biscuits in their crate for flight and be sure he has a comfy crate pad

Pyr Heaven:
I work for an airline and I feel SO horrible for the dogs that have never flown before. I wouldn't recommend sedation, but some sort of calming something or other. Their nerves have got to be going nutso. Just think about it. Going into some weird place...being taken away in your bed by these weird people. Sitting in the bottom of a weird moving thing that makes your ears feel funny-all alone. Not fun if you ask me. hahaha

Sammy will be just fine though! I'm glad you're taking him. Unfortunately I don't know much about international customs and dogs by air, but I don't think you need much more info than you would flying domestically.

I would say, the water bowl would be fine. At least it is ok at our aiport.

Good Luck. I'm sure it will be just fine.  :)

chaos270:
Everyone has pretty well summed up what you needed to know, not to mention you seam to pretty well prepared.

I want to tack on a little as far as identifying and notes. Tape a ziplock bag with his food and feeding instructions to the top of the crate, give him enough for one feeding with instructions stating such. Put the time of his last feeding and when he is expected to be fed again some time after your arrival in Boston. Tape the ziplock bag closed to the crate so that if it is tampered with it will be obvious.
Tape his info and your contact info plus that of someone at your destination and their address in two or more places. One on top and another on at least one of the crate sides. Remember to put the date and time in both Boston and Paris time and label them as such.

Keep it as simple but as thorough as possible. Most importantly let Sammy enjoy Boston's Emerald Necklace (the park system).

SadieA:
Oh my gosh, I LOVE this note idea! Thank you so much! I'll definitely do that.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version