BPO Travel & Transport Forum > Transporting & Traveling With Dogs

Dog on a Plane- UPDATE

<< < (2/2)

SadieA:
Thank you all so much for the advice- these are great ideas! I'm sure it's going to be incredibly stressful for Sammy, and i think your ideas will help him a lot. And as for the emerald necklace- don't worry! I'm actually from Boston, returning home, so I know it well, and Sammy will soon too!

SadieA:
So, we made it!! Sammy did very very well. He did pee in his crate a bit, but I think that's to be expected! When he came off the flight, he was just sitting in his crate looking around at the baggage claim, happy to see me!

However, I do have a new little problem. We're visiting my parents for a while, and they have a nine-year-old female golden, Maize. Maize is used to being an only dog, and she's always been the kind of dog that loves people and ignores other dogs. So, she is not loving Sammy. He's not actually hassling her as much as I was worried he might, being a puppy, but she basically wants nothing to do with him, always walks away and sits as far from him as she can, and if he ventures too close to her, she growls at him. Now I know this is to be expected, but Sammy is stuck here, for better or worse. What can I do to make this as painless as possible for Maizie? I know they probably won't ever be the best of friends, but I do  feel bad for her, having to put up with a strange puppy in HER house.

Thanks!

jagersmom:
YAH!! I'm glad he made it safe and sound! I don't know about the tension but everyone arrived safe and thats the biggest thing!

GoldenPyrs:
I'm very glad that you both arrived just fine.  I agree with everyone that I'd give Maize breaks from Sammy, and keep Sammy on a leash to help keep him from wearing her out.  I think that I'd also try to give him a couple of good walks a day to take off some of his puppy energy.  I bet that as he feels more at home that he will calm down a little, and that should help, too.  Hopefully, Maize will do like my Daisy and let Sammy know with a growl when she's had enough and he'll learn to abide by that growl.  BTW, I just love his name!   ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version