Author Topic: re-potty training? kind of long...  (Read 2325 times)

Offline Rachel

• BPO Guru
  • Sophie
    • View Profile
re-potty training? kind of long...
« on: November 06, 2005, 11:59:22 am »
Sophie is almost 3 years old and we rescued her 8 months ago. We've been keeping her in an ex-pen while at work and if we’re only going to be gone a few hours or so she gets free range of the house.  Well.... she has messed in the house a couple of times a while ago while we were away and we figured they were just accidents.  It’s always very random, sometimes we'll be gone for 5 hours and she's an angel sometimes we're gone for 1 hour and she's had an accident (and this is after taking her out before leaving). So we started trying to re-potty train her by giving her treats when she went outside along with lots of praise

.  She was doing great so we opened the ex-pen to allow her to roam half of the basement and she had no accidents! So last week we decided to leave her out in the house while we went to work.  We closed rooms that she didn't need to be in and etc.  Monday - Thursday were great!  She was SOOOO GOOD! Then Friday came.....  She decided to make a mess of the trash can, pee twice, and poop once... Then yesterday she pooped in the house (only gone for 2 hours)...  This only happens when we're away. She would never dare do anything in front of us or even while we were in the house. Since she has never been caught in the act I can not correct her for it...  I do not think she is sick.  I don't know if it’s a defiance thing or if she just doesn't know better. I hope that we are not going to have to keep her in the pen all the time.  What am I supposed to do?

I'm just at my wits end with this and my husband is just plain fed up.  I don't know what to do....
Rachel and Sophie

My new venture...
www.seasidequi lts.etsy.com

My blog for Sophie, crafting, and life in general
www.seasidequi lts.com/blog

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
Re: re-potty training? kind of long...
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2005, 12:11:50 pm »
Hmmm.  I think defiance may be too strong a word for what she's doing.  Does she get more attention (good or bad) as you are cleaning up?  She sounds like she wants MORE attention and she'll do anything to get it!  Have you tried leaving her with a great juicy bone or a most favorite toy as you leave?  Now I know this sounds crazy, but some of the dog books I've read say to be specific about how long you'll be gone:  "Sophie, I'll be gone for about 3 hours.  Please take care of the house."   I have NO idea if it works, but at least it can't hurt.  I'm sorry you are going through this.  I know it causes friction in the family when one of the family members "misbehaves"!!!

Offline Rachel

• BPO Guru
  • Sophie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2005, 12:30:48 pm »
We've tried leaving her bones, rawhide, and stuffed kongs but she will not touch them when we're not home.  I've wondered if that has stemed from being a resuce and always feeling as if you are being left for good.  but I would hope she didn't feel like that anymore.

We do tell her bye, be good, and we'll be back soon but we have never added an exact time to that.  hmmm  maybe we'll try that too  :)
Rachel and Sophie

My new venture...

Offline Rachel

• BPO Guru
  • Sophie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2005, 05:25:43 pm »
Any other suggestions or tips?  Anything would be appreciated.
Rachel and Sophie

My new venture...