Author Topic: hot spots???  (Read 1854 times)

Offline Fumble

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
hot spots???
« on: May 30, 2006, 04:18:52 am »
I think fumble has a hot spot!  he keeps chewing/scratching his front left paw with his mouth.. i'v ebeen spraying it with this stuff that the vet gave us a long time ago... but i was wondering if anyone else had any ideas or suggestions??

we gave him a bath this weekend, and i'm pretty sure it's not fleas (i would see them, right?? and he's on K9 advantix) so i'm going with hot spots...
"My newfoundlands live my life as passionately as i live theirs"
"I slip the hater of what i've become.  they slip the halter of what they've been, and we live together, passionately, changed"
-Both from "in the company of newfies"

WE REPRESENT THE LOLLIPOP GUILD!!!

Offline BarkleysMum

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
    • Our Picture Trail Albums
Re: hot spots???
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2006, 05:34:19 am »
When Barkley would get hot spots, the vet told us to use baby diaper cream and Gold Bond medicated powder.  If we got to it early enough, it kept the itchies away - then it's a case of groom, groom, groom.  He got them on the top of his back for three years running - do you know how funny a landseer looks with a shaved butt? :)
Sandy
Newly owned by Anna Banana, kind of owned by Sheba
and always remembering Barkley - crossed the Bridge on May 19, 2006.

Offline BabsT

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2006, 06:28:21 am »
I use Benedryl... I go to costco and get 300 of the kirkland brand  for 4.00  It prevents the hotspots from coming out on Zero and when he physically got them from lots of swimming last year, it stopped the itch for it to heal... the humidity doesnt do well with him.  The rule of thumb is 1mg per lb of dog. Most pills are 25mg
Zero 23mth  Central Asian Ovcharka
Anchara 16mth old Caucasian Ovcharka

Offline sarnewfie

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
    • HarborWinds Newfoundlands and Stain Glass
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2006, 07:15:37 am »
First, are his paws kept shaved or scissored very short? becouse if they are not, it better start to become a monthly thang with him, the hair in the paws holds moisture, they sweat thru their feet, moisture esp in hot weather will give them grief such as that type of thing when the environment is favorable for it.
next i love to recommend animax ear ointment and my vet has started perscribing this for hotspots.
animax is wonderful for keeping bacteria at bay that love to cause hotspots.
gold bond i never liked it cakes up and causes the sore to be icky cracked dry and caked and moist for to long.
Photography by Christine
http://harborwinds.fototime.com/PHOTOS FOR ORDERS

HarborWinds Newfoundlands&Search and Rescue
http://www.geocities.com/Petsburgh/Haven/4505