Author Topic: S.O.S.-Did I just convince myself that I *NEED* another dog?  (Read 4312 times)

AudgePadge

So...after MUCH deliberation, I've decided that I need an athletic running partner (part of my "Audrey get your @$$ into shape regiment") PLUS after the....inciden t...would we call it?  It would be nice to have some extra security...

So...I want to get another dog...I have the room, why not???

...I'm thinking adult- since I can hardly stand Roscoe and his antics, I can't imagine another puppy in the mix...  ;)

SO...here is my S.O.S.- what breed am I to get?  I went to 4 local shelters this weekend, and I should NOT be allowed in there!!! I want to take EVERYONE home with me... :-[

I need short-hair (although if someone left a shepherd on my porch, I'd be on it like white on rice), athletic, and semi-mature.
I've been thinking about a Dobbie (I've always wanted one), Weim (had one, would love to have another)...

any suggestions???  what am I to do ?

Icerotti

Re: S.O.S.-Did I just convince myself that I *NEED* another dog?
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2008, 04:54:49 pm »

I think a weim would be perfect.They are so many in rescues that need someone who understands the way of the weim. Since you had one I think it would be a great fit. ;)

Offline amberdoggoneit

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2008, 06:09:14 pm »
I completely agree on a Wiem.  Bell is my first one but my husband's second and I think that we will always have one.  Before I learned that I was pregnant we ran Bell ALL the time.  They are so athletic. 

Especially since you have owned one before.  People ask me about them and I ask what other kinds of dogs they have had because Wiems are in a league of thier own. 
The next one we get will definatly be a rescue! 
Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker" border="0
Bell 3 1/2 yr old Weimeraner
Baxter 3 yr old English Springer Spaniel
Buble 10 month old English Springer Spaniel

Offline amberdoggoneit

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2008, 07:36:35 am »
I will say that my parents have a dobe and a wiem and the dobe is more intimidating than the wiem even though she is a huge softie. 

My step mom is now involved in the dobe rescue which is where she got hers and says that there are probably 50 new cases a week with dobes needing a new home.

Offline Ali

• BPO Fanatic
  • My girls!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2008, 12:00:56 pm »
You can't lose with a rescue. Keep looking in general, and the right dog will most certainly pick YOU, rather than vice versa. You know how that works. Having said that, since your other two are bully breeds, and your siggy fondly misses other bullies, maybe you want an athletic bully?? What would that be, anyway? They all seem like big goofy lumps. Some friends of mine have a big white american bulldog, and she is awesome, but I can't see her going for a "jog"!  ;D
Ali
mom of 4 humans AND
Tani (TAH-nee or rhymes with "Bonnie")- Aussie/Pittie?Boxer?Mutt!
Kai - Aussie/Dobie
Kenji - big ol' black cat
Mika and Nishi - kitty sisters, foster failures!
Tasia Ladysnake - ball python

Offline GoldenPyrs

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2008, 03:34:45 pm »
Since sadly pitties & dobes are listed on so many homeowner's insurance breed restrictions, if you can adopt one that needs a home that would be particularly wonderful, so many are really in need.  Just a thought....   :)
Marie

And my pups:
Daisy a 9 y/o Golden/Lab mix
Sammy a 6-7(?) y/o Great Pyrenees adopted 3/07
Cassie a 3 y/o Pyr/Mystery Snuggle Bunny mix adopted 2/07

My angel girls waiting at the Bridge:
Cara 1989-2001 Great Pyrenees
Sally ? - 1993 Dobie(rescued '92)
Halley 2002-2006 Great Pyrenees

AudgePadge

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2008, 11:41:51 am »
Well, we got around the homeowner's insurance issue... :)  Because Monty just "looks" like a pit, but anyway, we haven't decided yet, we're goin around to the shelters and rescues to see if anyone stands out for us, and gets along with the boys.

Thanks for all your input! I'll keep ya'll posted!

marypyrs

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2008, 11:51:53 am »
Found one! I've been looking at this girl for my Son & DIL but they've decided they're gone too much so they'll have to stay with kitties for now.

http://www.petfinder.com/petnote/displaypet.cgi?petid=10958108

I love Dobies! :-*

Offline GoldenPyrs

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2008, 04:07:43 pm »
Awwww, she *is* gorgeous.  I've never seen a Dobie that color before and I love her!  :-*   ;D   Whatya think??  Maybe??
Marie

And my pups:
Daisy a 9 y/o Golden/Lab mix
Sammy a 6-7(?) y/o Great Pyrenees adopted 3/07
Cassie a 3 y/o Pyr/Mystery Snuggle Bunny mix adopted 2/07

My angel girls waiting at the Bridge:
Cara 1989-2001 Great Pyrenees
Sally ? - 1993 Dobie(rescued '92)
Halley 2002-2006 Great Pyrenees

AudgePadge

So...Here's the Update...I went too look at some dogs...and I fell for quite a FEW...but...

Bad News...We have to hold off on another dog, Monty is slowing down, got some rashes, went into some kind of depression? (he came back from the vet with some more anxiety and stress related issues), and he doesn't seem like he's ready for another introduction.. .yet.  We've just been trying to make him happier...lots of hugs and kisses...and treats of course...

Good News...Monty didn't seem to mind the GOAT, that we rescued. (he pretty much just ignores him) :)  So...I'm substituting running dog...to weed-wacking goat, for now.

Better News...Roscoe is in LOVE with this little goat, we named him Elvis.  They follow each other around, sleep next to each other, and really seem to enjoy each other's company.  SOOO CUTE! Roscoe gives him kisses, protects him from the big bad crow, watches him sleep...it's very endearing.

Now of COURSE, they have yet to be left alone unsupervised.. .but so far, while I'm there or "in the house"  (spying through the window)-  They look like they're really getting along.  I set up a good sized kennel and put it where the dogs are, so they can still see each other...but should someone decide  to find out what the other tastes like...There's a fence :)

I will keep you guys posted in the development of this..."herd"

Offline Rajas Mom

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • Feeling a little cramped in the car (by choice)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2008, 03:50:58 pm »
Elvis is adorable.  I want a goat now (or rather I always have, but now I really do).
Raja (Our Princess), 3 yr St. Benard
Charlie (Our Calico Cat), 3 yr
Bocephus (Wild & Crazy Lab), RIP
Shadow (Secretly a Cat Schipperke Mix), RIP

DenverFurKiddos

« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2008, 04:21:41 pm »
Elvis and Rosco are ADORABLE!!!  But, ummm.....you might want to tell Rosco to "get a room."  Check out the second pic!!! ::)   HAHA....glad my boy isn't the only one! 

Offline Ali

• BPO Fanatic
  • My girls!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2008, 05:59:25 pm »
Elvis is cute! Keep an eye on Roscoe, though. Just in case he became addicted to the "hoof with leg included" snack that he brought home!!  :P
Ali
mom of 4 humans AND
Tani (TAH-nee or rhymes with "Bonnie")- Aussie/Pittie?Boxer?Mutt!
Kai - Aussie/Dobie
Kenji - big ol' black cat
Mika and Nishi - kitty sisters, foster failures!
Tasia Ladysnake - ball python

Offline amberdoggoneit

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2008, 11:10:21 am »
OMG they are absolutley ADORABLE together!!!!  I think that my dogs would eat a goat.  My best friends little sister shows goats so I get to go see the babies when she gets them. ;D

Offline pyr4me

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2008, 12:47:18 pm »
I love goats!! That is so great. Congratulation s on your new addition!  ;D
Jennifer

Tipper (8 1/2 yrs) Golden Retriever/Sheltie mix
Jenny (4 yrs) Great Pyrenees
Gabriel (14 yrs) Sealpoint Himalayan cat
Melanie (11 yrs) Domestic medium hair cat

"You think dogs will not be in heaven? I tell you, they will be there long before any of us."
~Robert Lewis Steven