Author Topic: Favorite Names for Dogs  (Read 10321 times)

Offline dufus

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
Re: Favorite Names for Dogs
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2005, 04:04:35 pm »
Well we have a Day-z

kind of St Bernard flower crossed with rapper.

Suits her, believe me.

Offline slickerk

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2005, 04:34:40 pm »
I like odd names. I did find out that thier is another dog at my vet's named Felony... But my hubby named her, I wanted to call Astrea (as-traya). I like Nadia too and Sadie, although those aren't too odd. When I first decided I wanted Rottweilers, years ago... I wanted a pair to name Isis and Osiris -or- Mikelle and Gabriel.  But that is just way too common of a thing now. Male names ? I like Darius.
 :D the opposite naming thing reminds me of a giant dog house with the little name tag at the top that says "Tiny"... or someone yelling for "Bear" to come here, people tense up and a little Chiwawa (sp?) comes a running.

GYPSY JAZMINE

« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2005, 05:32:35 pm »
Samson was supposed to be Bullwinkle but when we went to get him it totally did not fit him...I love the name Bullwinkle!...Will someone please name their dog it for me? :D  We may eventually be getting two pygmy goats for Samson & Arwen...My inlaws breed them...They will be Bullwinkle & Rocky!...Anyone remember the old cartoon?

Offline Leah-n-boy-os

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2005, 05:33:40 pm »
I'm a huge Mythology buff, so we tend to stick to either Greek or Roman Names. Hence Zeus and Apollo. They really should have been the other way around, but when we got Zeus, his mom was this huge Akita, and the fellow that owned her swore that the pups were going to be huge.

Apollo was a suprise as well, but not as much. He grew so fast once we sprung him from the pound and started feeding him that we knew we were in for it! Apollo got his name because when he was a pup, he was this huge golden puff-ball. The Sun God seemed to fit him much better than Aries or Bacchaus.
Leah and the Boy-os
Apollo (Akita/St. Bernard)
Zeus (Heinz 57)
Onyx (Newfoundland)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Being owned by Big Paws just indicates how big your heart is.

located - Gig Harbor, WA

Offline TwoNewfies

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2005, 05:58:13 pm »
I like to name, or try to at least, my dog after something I find sentimental. Bella is named after our favortie honeymoon spot, Bellagio Italy on Lake Como. We just call her Bella for short. In Rocco's case, i just liked the name and it just fit him- a big black furball :)   I'd love to get another Newf in a few yrs, its gonna take a LOT to convince Mike though!!!!  It is nice to meet your new addition before you name him/her, but in both our cases we had names chosen that fortunately fit them. Other names I like for my "future babies"
Male: Thor, Bruno, Blu
Female: Scarlett, Rosie, Gracie

For some reason I have always named my pets dnames that end with an "EEEE" sound. Weird huh??

Gina

All dogs are pets.  Newfoundlands are family!

SaraphWolf79

« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2005, 09:51:06 pm »
My dog is named after the wolf/husky Nanook in the movie the Lost Boys...and because Nanook means bear of the north...seemed fitting at the time.  ;D

Offline RottiMommyAL

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2005, 06:05:44 am »
A few of my favorites are:
Baroness
Aurora
Raven
Azreal
Meadow
Magnus
Change your pets life.  Feed RAW!

Offline Gunnersmom

• Gnawer
  • Big dogs. . . big babies
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2005, 08:24:50 am »
I'm glad someone started this post. We've been trying to come up with a name for a female boxer puppy which could be in our future. We have tons of boy names we both like, but we can't find a girl name. I like sports themes, and our favorite vacation place is the Yucatan pennisula in Mexico. Maya comes to mind, for the Mayan people who live there. But anyone have anything else?  ???
Until there are none-rescue one!

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2005, 04:14:09 pm »
Well, I've always liked Lily for a female boxer, I've actually met two Lily boxers.

Don't have any sports related female names as most sports names are more masculine.  And I don't know much about Mexico.  I did meet a puggle named Tijuana (sp?) recently.

As for other vacation names, how about:

Aspen
Malibu
Rio
Venice
Reno
Chile
Niagra
Tahoe
Holly (wood)

Blair

« Reply #24 on: November 06, 2005, 04:19:07 pm »
When I get my Harl dane his name will be MOO [thanks to Moni  :P]

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 06, 2005, 04:34:53 pm »
My harl dane was going to be Baron or Inky, but I never got him.  Maybe next time.

chaosndestruction

« Reply #26 on: November 06, 2005, 05:54:36 pm »
Well, when I'm moved and settled and I can finally get my dogs. They are going to be named Chaos and Destruction. I think that's fitting for 2 danes...don't you?

Offline hugo~monster

• Big Paw Certified
  • Giants- companion-protector-inspiration-friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 06, 2005, 07:42:24 pm »
i have a list of names a mile long!  i would never be able to own all the dogs i have names for! lol!  some i like are ivan, judge, justice, deacon, hagar.  all boy names-must be prejudice :)  i got hugo's name from that movie "O".  when i was choosing a name for him he would not resond to any that i liked until i called him hugo.  and he looked at me and got perky and frisky like he was saying "yes, that's my name, just call me hugo!"
~SHELLIE & HUGO~

Offline Anky

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 06, 2005, 07:48:26 pm »
When I get my IW I'm gonna name it Ciall (Gaelic for Sanity)  and this one just dawned on me today.  Every other dog cartoon you see it's the dog saying "Hello, my name is No No Bad Dog".  I'm gonna get another Dane and name it "Niet".
BPO's Official Mistress of Mirth

Charter Member of the Official Suspicious Chicken Fan Club

"And you will know us by the trail of skank."