Author Topic: Anyone seen Wicked?  (Read 4286 times)

Offline dober_gurl

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
Anyone seen Wicked?
« on: September 05, 2005, 09:11:04 pm »
I was wondering if anyone has seen The Broadway Play "Wicked" and what they thought of it?

My friends went and saw it last year and thought it was very good, I really want to see it, but want to know what other people think of it. If I do decide to see it I'm going to ask my Theatre Teacher to come with me along with a friend that saw it last year.
"None left to rescue, none left to buy, none left to suffer, none left to die. None to be beaten, none to be kicked...all must be loved and all must be fixed"

Maggie-Doberman
Molly-Papillon
Mickey-Mutt
Collin-Kitty
Sunny-Amazon Parrot
Squishy-Guinea Pig
Harper/Lyric-Rats

Nicole

Re: Anyone seen Wicked?
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2005, 09:14:39 pm »
Hey Megan!
Yup! I saw it and all I can say is...WOW! It was AWESOME! We saw the Broadway touring company perform it in Chicago. It was PHENOMENAL! I've got the book...do you want to borrow it? I'll give it to Mark. He can give it to you. Its in Bloomington right now, I'll bring it back up with me next weekend.

I HIGHLY recommend it. The music is great, the lights, the set, the costumes...WOW!

Oh, BTW, my phone minutes start at 9, so feel free to call me after that. That's usually when I'm home, anyway! :)

Offline GrumpyBunny

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2005, 09:18:24 pm »
I haven't seen it, but I did read the book, and I have heard it was good as well.  I wanna see Wicked AND Spamalot...   ;D
*Founder of the Official Suspicious Chicken Fan Club*

Offline dober_gurl

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2005, 05:23:04 am »
Hey Megan!
Yup! I saw it and all I can say is...WOW! It was AWESOME! We saw the Broadway touring company perform it in Chicago. It was PHENOMENAL! I've got the book...do you want to borrow it? I'll give it to Mark. He can give it to you. Its in Bloomington right now, I'll bring it back up with me next weekend.

I HIGHLY recommend it. The music is great, the lights, the set, the costumes...WOW!

Oh, BTW, my phone minutes start at 9, so feel free to call me after that. That's usually when I'm home, anyway! :)

yup, I want to borrow it!
"None left to rescue, none left to buy, none left to suffer, none left to die. None to be beaten, none to be kicked...all must be loved and all must be fixed"

Maggie-Doberman
Molly-Papillon
Mickey-Mutt
Collin-Kitty
Sunny-Amazon Parrot
Squishy-Guinea Pig
Harper/Lyric-Rats

Nicole

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2005, 06:02:54 am »
Hey Marsi,
Yeah, I wanna see Spamalot, too! hehehe!

Ok, Megan. I'll let you borrow it. Like I said, I'll bring it home with me next weekend. I think that you should TOTALLY push your theatre teacher to go with you! Who was your theatre teacher? Was it Mr. Holdcraft? "H"? I don't know if he's still there or not...he was my theatre teacher in high school.

Offline Moni

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2005, 06:15:25 am »
Nicole,
How was the show compared to the book?  I finished it about a month ago.. and wow, what a great story.  Its especially amazing once they get more focused on Elphaba. 

The reason I'm asking(besides myself REALLY wanting to see it), is that my friend's son really wants to see it for his birthday.  I believe he's starting 6th grade this year.  I told her I read the book, but haven't really heard much about the show.

PS  I really want to see Spam A Lot too!!!!!!
(she's got HUUUUUGE.... tracts of land.... ;D)
BPO does not have my permission to use my photos.

Nicole

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2005, 06:27:28 am »
Well, I took my 12 year old to the show, and she LOVED it. (She also just started 6th grade) I probably won't let her read the book quite yet, it has some adult content.

The show was slightly different than the book. I mean, the story was still pretty much the same, but kind of had to move faster than the book, you know what I mean? If it went at the same pace as the book, it would have been much, much longer and not as entertaining, probably. Some of the characters are slightly different...or, should I say, appear in a slightly different order and in slightly different ways. But nothing too dramatically different. I would definitely recommend taking him, as it was a really dazzling show. My daughter smiled through the entire thing and did NOT stop going on about how wonderful it was all the way home!

We saw the Broadway Touring Company perform it, so I don't know if that made it better. The woman that played Elphaba was  Ana Gasteyer...she does the Martha Stewart impressions on Saturday Night Live. She ROCKED.

Anyway....defi nitely take him.

Offline tonyc

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2005, 08:16:23 am »
i tried to watch it last thnxgiving in NYC. but it was so extremely darn hard to get tickets w/o paying full pop. we lined up 2 days in a row for the 'lottery' half priced tickets to no avail.

now a separate production company has setup an unlimited run in Chicago, i've actually lost interest... ana from SNL in a musical? ugh.. i'm gonna have to pass. it's about as interesting as watching christina applegate - no matter HOW hot i thought she was back during "married with children" - in 'Sweet Charity'

Nicole

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2005, 08:24:09 am »
Tony, she was fantastic. Seriously. Her voice is phenomenal, she played Elphaba very sincerely. Don't knock her until you've seen her! I really enjoyed her.

Nicole

« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2005, 06:13:38 pm »
That is my FAVORITE song from the show! hehehehe!

Offline MustLove Dogs

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2005, 08:22:24 pm »
Me and my friends want to see it soo badly... hehe, spamalot looks good too "I'm French. Why do you think I have this outrageous accent, you silly king?"

hehehe
"The more boys I meet the more I like dogs"

"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion"

I'm blonde... whats your exc

Offline PupDaddy

• Paw-meister
  • Earl
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2005, 10:50:46 pm »
I just saw Wicked last night at the Texas State Fair. It was an amazing show. If you get the chance, go see it.

Offline GreatDanz

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Truly Great Danes!
    • View Profile
    • Mickey's Gold Bead Adventure
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2005, 03:06:06 am »
Moni, I saw the play after reading the book, and I loved them both.  There were tons of kids there too, and they seemed to love it.
-Ericka

Try and penetrate with our limited means the secrets of nature and you will find that, behind all the discernible concatenations, there remains something subtle, intangible and inexplicable.  Veneration for this force beyond anything that we can comprehend is my religion. -Albert Einstein