Great Pyrenees > Great Pyrenees Pictures

Great Pryness Barking Problems

(1/3) > >>

sams mom:
I have an 8yr old Great Pryness who we love dearly! But ever since we brought him home, he's had a terrible barking problem. We have gone through several bark/training collars & methods. Nothing seems to really work, does anyone  any other suggestions.
Thank!
Sams Mom

GYPSY JAZMINE:
In what situations is he doing the barking?....Great Pyrenees have been bred to gaurd & that means they are going to bark...It is a breed trait & there isn't too much you can do about it...With my 9 month old Pyr, Samson, I have pretty much broken him of barking at passerbys when we are in our yard...But, because our fence isn't up yet, he is always on lead in the yard so when I see something coming I know he is going to go off on I give a sharp tug on the lead & say "no barks"...When he just watches the passerbys & doesn't bark & praise him lavishly & at first he got a treat every time...I have no phased out the treats & just reward him with praise...Now, when we are in the house & he hears something outside that he thinks is bark worthy...forge t it...We just thank him for letting us know & hope he stops before we are half crazy...lol... Good luck!

Rufiesmom:
You are right, that is their job!  Rufus is on patrol at night and regularly wanders through the house looking out the windows and warning all the lions and tigers and bears to keep away.  I do feel sorry for the neighbors but on the other hand we will all know if someone or something that shouldn't be there is lurking around.  Theres always ear plugs!

mastiffmommy:
I dont have a Great Pyr. but hehe since you are getting ear plugs, get some for your friends on the street too. that way you can let him walk around and be his guarding handsome self all day long lol...

Marit

Rufiesmom:
Good idea!!  Ear plugs for the whole street are in order.  All the other dogs in the neighborhood and there are a lot, are all quiet at night.  I think maybe he has the permanent night watch.  Gives him plenty of sleep time in the day.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version