Author Topic: Bad New - Good News  (Read 10025 times)

Offline PupDaddy

• Paw-meister
  • Earl
    • View Profile
Bad New - Good News
« on: January 09, 2006, 09:10:33 pm »
Bad News- My foster puppy, Ranger, age 8 months, got out and got hit by a car Sunday evening.

Good News - As of today, Tuesday, he's going to be ok.

Sunday
I took all four of my dogs out the gate to visit  DoggyKamp. With 310 pounds of dogs pulling on me, I forgot to close the gate behind me. When I came home, hours later, I came in through the breezway, and let the dogs out into the back yard. A minute later, I found the backyard empty. Earl, Kendra, and Dudley were three houses away. I got them home a minute later.

I saw Ranger four houses away in another direction. A young lady and her mother were following him, and said he had been running like he was on a mission, when he darted into the street. She hit him before she had a chance to stop.

Ranger is at VCA Betline under Dr Marta Guevara's care. Nothing is broken. He has a nasty laceration on his front right leg and a small abrasion above his right eye. Xrays showed air in his chest cavity ( pneumothorax ) Dr Guevara has him on oxygen, and drained 2 liters of air out of his chest. She said his color was better, and his second xray at 9:30 looked better, but was showing more brusing on his lung(s). He did walk himself around to go potty.

Monday
Ranger's condition did not change much overnight, but Dr. Guevara thinks he's stablilizing. He was panting again, so Dr Green tapped his chest again this morning, but only got 1 liter of air this time, and his color is good. He went to the bathroom outside, his blatter was so full, Dr G thinks part of his breathing problem might have been
discomfort from the blatter.

Tuesday
The report on Ranger was very good today. The oxygen in in blood was almost at normal levels. While he still has some air in his chest cavity, it is continuing to improve. Dr Green is still not comfortable with knocking him out to repair the laceration on his leg, but it should be able to be fixed tomorrow, and then he can come home.

Thank you to everyone who has sent me encouragement. Now, please send me stuff to put in a garage sale to pay for all of this medical attention. If you have anything, please bring it Saturday to the AAP. Kids clothes and denim jeans sell great.

Please hurry, the look Cindy keeps giving me for spending SPIN money has me scared!

(FYI. Cindy is former President of SPIN, and current treasurer. She is the original Scrooge, unless it comes to doing something for the dogs. She hoards all of SPIN's scheckles, but this will test her patience. If anyone can help, please help me survive her wrath)
http://www.geocities.com/tinytimfund/donate.html

Offline Nina

• Supreme Drooler
  • In Loving memory 12/30/05 8:30pm We miss you
    • View Profile
Re: Bad New - Good News
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2006, 09:22:22 pm »
I am glad that Ranger is going to be OK you are so lucky that you could get him to the vet and on oxygen right away. That is what saved his life. I am really glad that Ranger is on the mend. :)

Nina
Nina and Tim
Calgary, AB, Canada
Harley(Lab mix)
Dilbert(Pyr mix)At the bridge
Jolene (cat)

Offline PupDaddy

• Paw-meister
  • Earl
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2006, 09:34:08 pm »
That is excellent news about Ranger.

Is there anyway I could donate some money.  Do you have a paypal acct?  Just let me know.
Oh, Thank you Liz. There is a Paypal link on this page
http://www.geocities.com/tinytimfund/donate.html

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
    • Be my friend on myspace!
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2006, 09:36:07 pm »
Ugh! What a month this has been so far for BPO dogs! I wish you were closer - I have A TON of stuff I could donate for a garage sale.

J.
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principle difference between dog and man." -- Mark Twain

Kiahpyr

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2006, 10:54:30 pm »
I'm so glad Ranger is going to be okay. Hang in there pupdaddy. I know you'll do everything to save one of your babies. I'm sending a small donation. I know it's not much but every little bit helps. Good luck with Cindy! ;)
« Last Edit: January 09, 2006, 10:57:22 pm by Tajsa »

Offline Kermit

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2006, 10:57:38 pm »
Oh my goodness how scary! I'm so glad he's going to be ok though.

Hang in there Ranger!!!

k2campbell

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2006, 12:05:23 am »
Pupdaddy - I am so glad to hear that Ranger is on the mend, poor fellow.  I know you'll take such good care of him!  ;)

Offline PupDaddy

• Paw-meister
  • Earl
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2006, 03:01:20 pm »
Ranger get to come home today. He still has air in his chest, and the Dr. doesn't want to sedate him to sew up his leg, but so far the staples are holding. I'll keep everyone informed on how he's doing.

Kiahpyr

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2006, 03:31:30 pm »
I'm so happy he's home. Give Ranger a big hug for me!! Get well soon!

Offline Good Hope

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2006, 07:18:16 pm »
So sorry to hear about Ranger's accident. Glad he's coming home.  (Just give Cindy your best evil eye back when you need to spend money on medical. After all, what good does it do if the money raised just sits in the bank?)  ::)BTW, I do have a lot of little boy clothes you can sell at a garage sale, if you want them. Just let me know. Who knows, maybe they'd even fit one of those Pyrs.

Deena

Offline GrumpyBunny

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2006, 07:41:21 pm »
San Diego Ranger hopes that Texas Ranger gets well soon.  I am sure he will feel at least somewhat better when he is back with his PupDaddy and can get hugs and kisses.  Give him some lovin' from me. 
« Last Edit: January 10, 2006, 07:41:58 pm by grumpybunny »
*Founder of the Official Suspicious Chicken Fan Club*

Offline PupDaddy

• Paw-meister
  • Earl
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2006, 09:18:26 pm »
Ranger has been home for 20 minutes and he is already going stir crazy! I walked him outside, and he tried to start playing with Earl and Kendra. I brought him inside and he cleaned the kitchen floor, and tried to go counter surfing! After attacking the back door (jumping and scratching) he's been banished to his crate.

He still has some healing to do, but the boy will be alright!

Thanks to all you your prayers and good wishes!

Kiahpyr

« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2006, 10:27:01 pm »
Sounds like he's feeling better. That's great that he's home and is going to have a full recovery.

Offline LuvmyMal

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2006, 10:34:49 pm »
glad to hear he is home! Good luck finishing recovering.... .(tonka and nala have thier paws crossed for a very speedy recovery)

Offline PupDaddy

• Paw-meister
  • Earl
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2006, 04:25:55 pm »
We went back for a checkup today. Ranger is over the chest injury. The laceration on his leg is healing ok, but it was so large, it really needed to be stitched up, not just stapled. The staples are doing ok for now, but the doc is worried it might need to be reopened and stitched up if it get infected, or re-opened. So, I still have to keep him still and quiet for another few days. That's getting hader, because he's getting really bored!