Author Topic: Alaskan Malamutes  (Read 3274 times)

Offline Laura Duke

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Alaskan Malamutes
« on: September 18, 2007, 05:06:11 pm »
We have 2 male alaskan malamutes, They are 9 months old, The fight for dominance is on at the minute, one is clearly the dominant on in the pack, but their fights are really nasty, i would love to get in touch with someone who can give us advice on them, we are currently seperating them during the day while we are at work, 90% of the time they don't fight but sometimes just the way one looks at the other can spark off a fight!!
we are in the process of buying a dog run for them so we know they cannot fight during the day.
is this just a passing phase? can somebody please tell me!!!

Offline Saint and Mal mom

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Alaskan Malamutes
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2007, 07:36:17 pm »
For Malamutes that age, yes, it is normal. And it will end someday too! You just have to be the pack leader and stop it if it ever goes too far, like as in the dogs are drawing blood or one is yelping and the other won't back off. Most fights don't usually amount to much. I have one Malamute and her sister is a Saint Bernard. They used to fight constantly, but they grew out of it for the most part. Still very seldom, we do have short growls or nips at each other. Good luck!
Marissa

Zoey- Alaskan Malamute, 4 years
Dolly, CGC- Saint Bernard, 4 years
Foster mom to Clarence- Basset Hound, 5 years

"To be loved by...any animal should fill us with awe-for we have not deserved it."

Offline Laura Duke

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2007, 06:28:01 am »
Hi Saint & Mal Mom

Thanks for your advice?
When you say the fights stopped, how long did they go on for? were they nasty fights?
I have tried to get in contact with Malamute owners here in Ireland but the dogs are only just becomming popular here or the people who do have them have male and female, i have yet to speak to someone who has 2 males.
How do your 2 get on with each other now?

Offline LuvmyMal

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2007, 03:46:59 pm »
neuter both! Someone could get hurt really severely. This is completely normal especially in this breed, it is not abonormal for a breeder to not sell 2 males or 2 females to the same person. Use water to split them  up, never interfere.

Offline mumbles

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2007, 11:20:59 pm »
I had two female mals that hated each other. Think they would have fought to the death if I let them. Throwing water on them got no reaction. You really need two people to break them up. Best thing is to grab them by the hind legs and pull them apart.

I drug one of mine in the house by the tail one day and she never even turned to look at me, she was intent on killing the other one.

Offline doggy_guru

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2007, 03:59:26 am »
In my opinion, this is a passing phase. They are large dogs that ned alot of attention and are quite dominant. They will stop. Just ensure that you are the boss, NOT THEM!

Offline doggy_guru

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2007, 04:03:36 am »
Never pull a larger dog by their hinds. They can get what is called 'hip displacia'. Basically meand that they can't walk. Always use the collar.  ;)