Author Topic: JEALOUS DOG  (Read 4662 times)

Offline NOWIZ

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
JEALOUS DOG
« on: November 04, 2005, 11:06:41 pm »
MISS ELLIE IS A 17MONTH WEIMAMRANER WITH ONE BAD HABIT SHE IS JEALOUS OVER ME AND WILL SNAP AT MY WIFE IS SHE COMES NEAR. CAN ANYONE HELP
« Last Edit: November 04, 2005, 11:08:19 pm by NOWIZ »

Offline hugo~monster

• Big Paw Certified
  • Giants- companion-protector-inspiration-friend
    • View Profile
Re: JEALOUS DOG
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2005, 12:05:20 am »
eek!  that is a tough one.  not sure i have any advice, but i would like to find out some more info.  by the way that is a calendar quality photo of her-its simply stunning!

tell us when she started doing this?
did you get her as a puppy and how long have you had her?
which came first miss ellie or your wife?
does she snap at others in the house or that come to visit or is this just directed at your wife?
when you are not around does miss ellie behave this way to your wife or is she a good girl?

~SHELLIE & HUGO~

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2005, 03:53:29 am »
I don't have any words of wisdom for you other than to ask if you have looked into having a trainer/behaviorist in your area work with you and your wife. Your dog is stunningly beautiful and I hope that you can help your Ellie curb her behavior.
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

Offline BabsT

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2005, 08:00:25 am »
WOW...I am telling ya, my sister in laws weim is IDENTICAL to your dog in all habits....

I should give you her email and see if there are any more similarities
Zero 23mth  Central Asian Ovcharka
Anchara 16mth old Caucasian Ovcharka

Offline NOWIZ

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2005, 08:37:51 am »
My wife and iI have been married 19 yrs. We have had ellie for only three months but this behavior is recent it started about 2 weeks ago. Ellie at home doesn't like visitors except my son. If she meets the same people such as inlaws and extended family and a neutral place she is fine with them usally. When my wife and ellie are alone they are fine. Ellie has had some obiedence training thru her former owner. Her former owner runs a grooming and boarding place very nice by the way. I am tring something i shied away from at first ..an electroninic obedience collar. I thank all of you for your compliments on ellies photo ...Thank very much
« Last Edit: November 05, 2005, 08:45:16 am by NOWIZ »

Offline NOWIZ

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2005, 08:47:37 am »
WOW...I am telling ya, my sister in laws weim is IDENTICAL to your dog in all habits....

I should give you her email and see if there are any more similarities
please do I would be so gratefull thank you

Offline Good Hope

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2005, 09:13:41 am »
Hello,

(Welcome! BTW  :))

Have you tried correcting her with her prong collar and then putting her up into a crate (or a similarly small, dog-proof area)?  If it is your attention that she wants, and the attention goes away when she snaps at your wife, maybe it would help.  Since she is fine when you aren't around, maybe your wife could also give Ellie treats and attention, to make it a good thing, in Ellie's mind, for your wife to be there.  However, take my advice as a grain of salt; I'm helping to train my family's first puppy!  ;)

Your "best bet" for getting over this problem is to work with a trainer.  On the other hand, if you think there are more serious behavioral problems, a canine behaviorist would be better than a trainer.

Sofia (Good Hope's daughter)

Offline NOWIZ

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2005, 08:26:14 pm »
I talked  trainer today.she said miss ellie's problem could lie with me.I let her sit beside me on the sofa .The trainer said she probably thinks she ranks high in the social orderand that i should try to make her stay in the floor. I dont know but I am willing to try anything. Wish me luck!

Offline NoDogNow

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2005, 08:43:38 pm »
Oh, the sofa snuggling!  You should have told us you were sofa snuggling. 

Seriously, I wonder if Ellie had any bird or hunt training at all before she came to you?  Weim's are bird dogs, and I've heard of some gun dogs being very possessive of their "partner" during hunting season.  They know when it's time to get out there and get the birds, too. 

I only wonder because it's getting into hunting season now.

Sheryl, Dogless and sad

Gypsy Jazmine

« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2005, 04:12:02 am »
I talked  trainer today.she said miss ellie's problem could lie with me.I let her sit beside me on the sofa .The trainer said she probably thinks she ranks high in the social orderand that i should try to make her stay in the floor. I dont know but I am willing to try anything. Wish me luck!
Now you're on the right track!!...Also, have your wife feed Miss Ellie...In a wolf pack the "higher status dogs" provide the food...Have Miss Ellie "sit" before your wife puts down the food dish...Make sure Miss Ellie knows where her "lifeline" is coming from!...When unwanted behaivor is shown on Ellie's part nip it hard & now!!...Let her know that her behaivor is unwanted with a quick "NO!!..BAD DOG"!!!...Then when she exibits wanted behaivor praise her to HIGH HEAVEN!!!...If she is food motivated accompany this with a treat...On your & your wife's part posturing meaning standing ram rod straight, widening your eyes, & giving Ellie her correction while standing over her will go far!...Let me know how this goes for you. ;) :)