Author Topic: Do your dogs howl?  (Read 6954 times)

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
Do your dogs howl?
« on: January 28, 2006, 01:41:06 pm »
When Bear was a pup I dog sat for his my sister-in-law's Husky alot. Bear picked up the habit of howling like Kobe does which is quite funny because he is a very loud, very large Newfy. Anyways, occasionally in his sleep he'll howl and it always makes me laugh because I just imagine that he is dreaming of being with Kobe.

Well, we went on a walk today and Bear came home tired as usual which means he'll sleep for a good hour or 2 uninterrupted.  ;) Today however, I'm doing some work and I hear this unbelievable noise. It sounds like a train only there are none close by so I rule that out, it keeps going and rumbling so I am thinking maybe it is the neighbor's Bassett Hound barking, but no it is not in that direction so I get up an go look outside. There, as loud as can be is Bear sitting up, staring at the sky and howling with all of his might. I laugh, he stops and I go back to work. Like 2 minutes later though he does it again. I have no clue what he is howling at or why he is doing because he is awake and in his "normal" state of mind. Maybe someone is in heat??? I dunno....so now he is inside laying down by me until I am sure that the howling will stop.
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

Offline RedyreRottweilers

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
    • Redyre Rottweilers
Re: Do your dogs howl?
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2006, 01:46:54 pm »

Mine howl. For various reasons. We have a "singing session" here every so often. Yes we are insane. Hubs and I will howl and they will join in, and we all sing for a few minutes.

I have one who howls a LOT in her sleep. I"m talking probably nightly, or at least every 2 or 3 nights.

I told someone the other day, you know you have been around dogs TOOOO long when you hear the siren, and YOU think about howling.

:o ;D :D
Redyre Rottweilers
redyre@carolina.rr.com
No part of this message may be forwarded without my permission.

Offline chaos270

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2006, 02:29:36 pm »
Lacey taught Kali how to howl. If someone leaves the house they sit and stare at each other and howl in harmony.  It's the funniest thing.  My two generally do it when they're lonely. 
Erin and the critters
Kali ~ the newf
Lacey ~ the aussie 
Gabby ~ Holsteiner mare
Fire ~ Appendix Quarter Horse/Belgian gelding
Lilah and Hannah ~ Kali's kitties

Offline longshadowfarms

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
    • Longshadow Farms
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2006, 02:38:22 pm »
Mine howl at the drop of a hat!  Doing it right now as a matter of fact.  Pup was barking at something which set them off.  They do it almost every morning first thing kind of as a "happy for a new day" kind of greeting.  It started MANY years ago with a black male Lab we had at the time.  He started doing it at the kennel and eventually started doing it at home too.  We had two females at that time and they'd join in with him.  Piper is the only one left of our original 3 to carry on the howling tradition.  Her two sons, Josh and Jesse (Jesse in particular) must have learned from her to howl in the womb.  When their former owner would come to visit, they'd start howling coming down the hill into the valley near our house.  Piper REALLY loves to howl.  She wags her tail furiously while howling.  I got some video footage this past week of them howling and of the pup teasing her to get her to bark at him.  That gets him wound up and playful but he hasn't howled yet.   I was planning to figure out later in the week how to put a video clip up but haven't gotten there yet.  I was also hoping to catch the pup slamming into all the walls in the house when he gets wound up but haven't caught him yet.  Besides, I'm usually busy holding Piper up on her feet when he gets going so he doesn't knock her over.  Hard to hold her and video tape at the same time.
Daphne

Offline K9ldy00

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2006, 05:40:32 pm »
All 6 of mine howl. There's the 2 coonhounds who bay and chop and the 2 siberians who practically yodel, Then there's my pointer cross who has a petite howl and my rottie who is learning and doing a good job of it. I need to get a recording of it as they sound like the hounds of h*ll when they're all howling at the same time. ;D
Dog Mom to
Dozer, Tealk,Zander,Zeva, Tesla

Offline Senghe

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2006, 08:47:56 am »
I've had a couple of howlers. My old collie x retriever used to sleep under the telephone table. If it rang, she'd sit up, bumb her head and start howling. It was quite funny as you'd regularly hear "ring, ring - thunk - awooooooo!"

One of my shar-pei was a singer more than a howler and if I was upstairs when the phone rang, she'd come and find me and make this "grrroooroooroo o" noise. She'd have been a great hearing dog for the deaf.

Thank god Flynn doesn't howl - he's loud enough as it is.

Offline Fumble

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2006, 09:05:29 am »
hehehe bear just wanted to be near his mommy!  ;)
fumble doesn't howl, but he whines and groans like there is no tomorroW!  i'm afraid that he's soon going to learn how to howl and then it's all downhill from there!  ::)
"My newfoundlands live my life as passionately as i live theirs"
"I slip the hater of what i've become.  they slip the halter of what they've been, and we live together, passionately, changed"
-Both from "in the company of newfies"

WE REPRESENT THE LOLLIPOP GUILD!!!

Offline Moni

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2006, 09:33:02 am »
Oh yeah!  Faust, Zeo and Mojo are the howlers in this family.  I love it when they howl and I'm known to encourage it.... bad mommy!   ;D

http://youtube.com/w/Howl-along?v=_cCxE2oQgMo

Here's an old video of them singing along while I was playing a recording of fox kits(the high yipping sound somewhere between a bird and a frog).  Zeo and Faust have nice howls, Mojo OTOH sounds like someone squeezing the life out of an old man..... ERRRRRRRRRRR!   lol  Honestly, he does and he's always sounded like that!  :D   Too funny!

BPO does not have my permission to use my photos.

Offline amberdoggoneit

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2006, 10:57:29 am »
o moni i am so jealous. 
Not one of my dogs howl never have i wish that they did if they hear something they just bark uncontrolabley
Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker" border="0
Bell 3 1/2 yr old Weimeraner
Baxter 3 yr old English Springer Spaniel
Buble 10 month old English Springer Spaniel

Offline Magnus

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2006, 06:09:03 pm »
My rottie Neeko used to howl all of the time. My favorite were either the very loud or the occaisional almost muted howl.  THe forst time he howled was went he was about a year old and we were in my Jeep. The top was off and we were stuck in traffic behind an accident. Well an ambulance goes by and all of a sudden he starts howling. All of  the people in the cars arround us really got a kick out of it!!! Great memories.

My 2 yo rottie does not make an attempt, while Steve makes some kinda noise that we can figure out (it is quite ear piercing though).  Stan my 9 week old mastiff howls when we howl with him. Its fun to have a howling dog back in our lives.
StanLee- American Mastiff
Julie- Rottie
Steve- Pug/Jack Russel
Neeko- My old rottie friend waiting at the bridge

Offline GrumpyBunny

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2006, 06:15:26 pm »
Sadly, no howling here.  Cabo howled once in his entire life - in his sleep.  It scared the heck outta me!

We try to get Ranger and Gwen going, but to no avail.   :(
*Founder of the Official Suspicious Chicken Fan Club*

Offline Teamshredit

• Big Paw Certified
  • Aspen having fun near Mammoth Lakes
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2006, 03:26:55 pm »
Both of ours howl, but Lucas picked it up from Daisy. She "talks" more than she barks....makin g "rooo rooo", "woo wooo", and a ton of vowel sounds. She sasses back too when corrected...we're trying to work on that.  ::)

I wish i could understand her because she'll go on for awhile. She's really tries to communicate with us, and probobly thinks we're dumb because we don't get it.  ;D
« Last Edit: January 30, 2006, 08:18:03 pm by teamshredit »
Zane - St Bernard/Shepherd mix
Aspen - Pyr/Malamute mix
Craig - Our Ridgie, has gone over the Rainbow Bridge

Offline Kermit

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2006, 08:13:04 pm »
Pur dogs howl several times a day. Sometimes it starts with the terrier howling for a siren. Other times if they are barking at something out the window, the loud barking just evolves into a group howl. Every single dog except Mr. Furley howls. He is an odd bird anyways. ;)
I enjoy it when they howl, and I will join them on occasion. :)

Offline Softhug

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2006, 02:10:35 pm »
Tsu NEVER used to howl.  However, now when I get home from work and she sees me she is all springy and barky and the bark usually ends up being a howl.  The first time she did it was two months ago I would guess and I wish I could have seen my face when she did it!  I was stunned!
Jacquie-Undercover Princess
Tsu Ling-Chow Chow-RIP 5/08
Boudreaux-American Mastiff
Griffey-Pi55y, fat, yellow cat
Comrade-red/white Siberian Husky
"Lots of people talk to animals," said Pooh.
"Not that many listen though."
"That's the problem."

Offline Carolyn

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2006, 05:41:14 pm »
All of mime howl, if they don't on thier own..hubby will teach them. Anyone walking by my house would think were crazy. Billy loves to start them up & if ya cant beat them..join them.
Carolyn
Carolyn