Author Topic: What do you know about the ckc (?)  (Read 3242 times)

Offline aggghgmom

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
What do you know about the ckc (?)
« on: September 12, 2008, 11:11:22 am »
Hi everyone!!

I was inquiring today about a collie puppy I saw advertised in our local paper.  It is rare to see a collie in the classified.

The lady was nice, very excited about her dogs, she does not breed for show, but for family dogs, her female is 4 and this is her second litter. 

I asked if the pups were akc and she said no they are ckc I thought Canadian kennel club but she said Continental Kennel Club she said it is much like AKC but for dogs that aren't going to be show dogs more family dog oriented? 

So I figured I would come to the experts to see what you all know!!

Thanks!!

Randy

Offline patrick

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
    • Great Pyrenees
Re: What do you know about the ckc (?)
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2008, 11:34:11 am »
CKC generally is synonymous with puppy mills and back yard breeders.  Basically lets breed Buffy to Rover cause they are pretty- no thought into genetics no health testing etc.  Breeding for family dogs excuse is nonsense as every reputable breeder has companion quality pups- but they do thier homework and take breeding a little more seriously.

Offline aggghgmom

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2008, 12:27:29 pm »
Thanks for your opinions!!  I have always had an AKC dog.  Except of course our darling mixed breeds!!

Randy

Offline KatysTank

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Mya
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2008, 01:06:42 pm »
yea, CKC lets people register their mutts and breed them.

But, even though AKC is better it still has puppy mills and pet stores that register with it.

The best thing to do, is to ask lots of questions and make sure they are a good breeder.

Offline ruffian

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2008, 02:33:52 pm »
Actually they legally can not use CKC anymore they have to use ConKC.  Theya re a crap registry, one of the worst things they do is allow AKC dogs that were sold on non-breeding agreements to have their offspring registered.  Which is the only reason that many dogs are registered with them.

Offline ruffian

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2008, 05:29:31 am »
Actually a few people who register their pups with them have com onto another forum I frequent and thus far not one has known, so I guess they didnt even bother to share the info with anyone.

Offline aggghgmom

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2008, 01:37:40 pm »
Thankfully, I asked about a billion questions and I was not confindent in the breeder.  My hubby reminded me that while our springer was AKC registered it was a private person who just bred dogs because she loved them.  And Stoli was a great dog!!

I appreciate everyones answers regarding the ckc I think I probably knew all that but wanted the cute puppy!!!

This particular time of year is not a great time for a pup anyway so I'll just keep waiting for the right pup to come along!!

Thanks
Randy and Harley

Offline ruffian

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2008, 05:45:08 am »
Holly I do agree with you on what you said about quality, and I will also tell people the same thing, but at the same time I dont think anyone that registers with the ConKC can be a good breeder.  Mostly because I think that to be a good breeder you have to compete in both conformation and working titles.  As well as doing ALL the health testing that can be done to help improve the breed, and they stand behind their pups 100$% with minimum 5 year health guarantees, open to helping puppy owners with problems, doing whatever needs to be done to recover one of their pups should they ever be in a shelter, etc.  IMO good breeders also do rescue, breed specific or not, but helping to alleviate the pet over population.  I do not agree with breeding "just for pets" that sounds like because you are getting a family pet you dont deserve a quality dog, to that is just stupid.