Author Topic: THE OL ROY RUMORS  (Read 9549 times)

Offline 2dogmom

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
THE OL ROY RUMORS
« on: February 21, 2006, 07:24:44 pm »
Ok, Ive been meaning to ask all of you what you think. For years ow I have been told how bad Ol Roy is for your dogs, but Ive never had proof. Gus ate it when he was a puppy and he still loves it but I stopped giving it to him because of all of the rumors I was hearing. I have looked but cant find any documentation on it. My twin sister works for a Vet and he says it gives them stomach issues. If anyone knows or has an opinion, please let me know. Thanks everyone!

Offline K9ldy00

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
Re: THE OL ROY RUMORS
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2006, 08:04:52 pm »
What I've heard about Old Roy is that the ingredients are not consistent. They put whatever ingredients they can get the cheapest in it. Since the make up of the food can change from lot to lot it can upset your dogs stomach. as what they use is not highly digestible so you get a high volume of fecal material.
Dog Mom to
Dozer, Tealk,Zander,Zeva, Tesla

angelsmama

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2006, 08:07:24 pm »
i know its mostly fillers also..  angel likes purina one

Offline 2dogmom

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2006, 08:26:49 pm »
You know, now that you mention it, Justice has been pooping a lot, but she eats all the time too.

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2006, 09:18:21 pm »
I would never ever consider feeding ol roy for multiple reasons. The number one reason is that ol roy contains dead dogs and other nasty sub-standard meat products that I don't think are fit for consumption by anyone. Roadkill, slaughterhouse waste, expired super market meats, and euthanized dogs/cats are sent to rendering plants that sells them to brands like ol roy who use them as the protein source in their dog foods. Dogs who eat ol roy are not only eating other dogs, but they are also eating the chemicals used to euthanize them  :o To get an idea of the other nasty things that go into this rendering plants and thus end up in brands like ol roy, click on this link: http://www.jivdaya.org/rendering_plants.htm

If you need concrete proof, here it is, straight from the FDA - this is a link the the FDA survey to see which dog foods contain pentobarbital (the euthanasia chemical): http://www.fda.gov/cvm/FOI/dfchart.htm Every Ol Roy product successfully tested came up positive for pentobarbital, so you can only imagine what else is in there  :o
RIP former BPO

Offline Senghe

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2006, 08:20:23 am »
Did you ever see the film 'Supersize Me'. Well, that's the human equivalent of feeding a lot of cheap brands of dog food. Mind you, the cheap food isn't the only culprit as in England at least, some expensive food is full of colourings and cr*p. Two particuarly offensive foods here that look like a bag of M&M's when you open them are far more expensive than the food I feed my dog. These two foods are made by multinational companies (Pedigree Chum & Purina Baker's Complete). I think they must spend 90% of the price on advertising and research, 9% on packaging and 1% on ingredients! I won't even go into the el cheapo stuff in the supermarkets as I wouldn't feed them to anything living.

Offline 2dogmom

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2006, 11:51:07 am »
Wow....I dont even really know what to say. Now I feel awful. thank gog Gus has never had any medical problems. I'll stick with the Purina that I've been giving them. I dont even want to go to that website now, because Im scared of what I might find. Dead dogs? Is that even legal? Thats terrible. Ive never heard anything like it in my life, and will be sure to pass the word on to everyone I know with animals. Thank you all for your input, it has most definetley helped.

mjjensen

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2006, 12:47:59 pm »
 Ol Roy is not the only one guilty of these practices. If you'd like more information on the subject read " Food Pets Die For" by Ann Martin. It's an expose' of the pet food industry and with out a doubt the most frightening book I've ever read. It ought to be reguired reading for anyone that really cares about their furkids.

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2006, 02:53:12 pm »
Wow....I dont even really know what to say. Now I feel awful.
Don't feel awful. It is not your fault that you didn't know. And now that you do know you are making better choices, and that's what matters :)
RIP former BPO

Nicole

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2006, 02:58:16 pm »
So, I've got a question. I've been thinking about this thread ever since I read it a few days ago.....

Which would be considered Premium, and which would be considered super Premium? I've often wondered this...and wondered HOW MUCH (not IF) money I'm wasting..heehh ee....I usually have everyone on Wysong (dogs and cats). But, recently, I switched one cat to "Nick Van Patten's Natural Balance" in Venison and Green Pea. There's no question about that one, it says "Ultra Premium Cat Food" right on the bag. That's ok..cuz I'm thinking that this kitty might have a food allergy, and I'm wanting to try this one out..but, how about the Wysong? Premium?

And, the other question is Merrick. I have the boys on that right now...switched it up for variety. They're eating Cowboy Cookout at this moment. Super Premium? or Premium?

How do I find out?

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2006, 02:59:27 pm »
Are there some supermarket brands that would be considered premium?  I'd love to know I have him on something healthy that I can still afford.
What is your food budget? How much does Jasper weigh? Are there any ingredients that has issues with or likes better than others? If you can answers those 3 questions, I will try and come up with a list of brands that fits your needs :)
RIP former BPO

Offline jaspers mom

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2006, 05:10:11 pm »
Are there some supermarket brands that would be considered premium?  I'd love to know I have him on something healthy that I can still afford.
What is your food budget? How much does Jasper weigh? Are there any ingredients that has issues with or likes better than others? If you can answers those 3 questions, I will try and come up with a list of brands that fits your needs :)

Why thank you very much shangrila, here is some info:

Jasper is an "old" Treeing Walker Coonhound we found on Petfinder.  The pound lady said he was about two.   After living with him for almost four years, we are judging him to be about 11 or 12.  This is based on his arthritis, tooth condition, and various age-related ailments (has anyone ever dealth w/vestibulitus?).  He may not have been born 12 years ago, but he had been living on his own in the woods in southern VT for some time before he was found half dead on the highway, and malnutrition and Lyme Disease may have prematurely aged him. 

He ate anything when he first came to us (including his own poop, still one of his favorites), but has become a bit finicky over the past year or two.  We used to use Purina One, but he went off it.  We have been slowly switching around ever since.  I know you are not supposed to switch foods, but he always eats the first 20-40 lbs of anything and then loses interest.

As for food budget, if I can find it at Hannaford, I can probably afford it.  I'm just not sure about paying extra for Iams and Eukanuba-type brands because he doesn't seem to like them any better.  But if it truly is much healthier for him, I will convert.

I wish I had a picture to post.  He really is the sweetest thing.

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2006, 05:37:22 pm »
How much does Jasper weigh?
RIP former BPO

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2006, 12:34:56 am »
Jaspers mom,
I can't tell you specific brands that are best in your price range if I don't know your price range. And also I don't know what they sell at your grocery store, but I hope you are not discounting getting your food from a petstore, because they are not neccessarily more expensive... You mentioned that you previously fed Purina One, so I looked up the price of it. It is actually fairly expensive for a grocery store brand, which means it wouldn't be a big price jump for you to switch to a premium brand. To give you an idea, I did a little math comparing Purina One (which you have already fed) to Canidae (which I chose because I happen to feed it, but it is just one of many great brands). I am also including alpo for comparison because it is the chepeast brand I could find all the info about online.

Since you didn't say how much Jasper weighs, I looked up the average for his breed is 50-70 pounds, so I am basing serving sizes on that. And for this example I am assuming you will feed the middle range of the suggested serving.

Purina One - $32 for 38lbs
They state 1931 kcal/lb, 449 kcal/cup. From that you can figure out that there are roughly 4.3 cups per lb
From that you can figure out 163 cups per bag.
The recommended serving size is 2 1/2 - 3 1/3 cups per day, which means an average of 56 servings per bag.
56 daily servings for $32 means 57 cents a day
The top 5 ingredients: Lamb, brewers rice, corn gluten meal, whole grain corn, oat meal

Canidae -$33 for 40lbs
The state kcal/lb=1875, kcal/cup 468, so you can figure out there are 4 cups per lb.
From that you can figure out there are 160 cups per bag.
The recommended serving it 2-3 cups, which means 64 servings per bag.
64 daily servings for $33  means 51 cents a day
The top 5 ingredients: Chicken Meal, Turkey Meal, Brown Rice, White Rice, Lamb Meal

Alpo Natural Flavor From Beef & Chicken Dog Food - $20 for a 40lb bag
They state that a cup contains approximately 95 grams of Alpo. That is 0.21 lb/cup. From that you can figure out that there are 4.76 cups per lb.
From that you can figure out there are 190 cups per bag.
The recommended serving is 3 1/2 - 4 3/4 cups, which means 46 servings per bag.
46 daily servings for $20 means 43 cents a day
The top 5 ingredients: Ground yellow corn, beef and bone meal, soybean meal, beef tallow preserved with BHA, animal digest

So from that you can see that Canidae actually works out to be cheaper than purina. And instead of getting a food where 4/5 of the top 5 ingredients are carbs, you get a natural, top-rated food with only 2/5 of the top 5 are carbs... And if you compare it with alpo, it only costs an extra  8 cents a day, which is nothing, especially when you consider how terrible the top ingredients in the alpo are!  There are so many benefits health wise of premium brands, and they really don't cost more when you factor in the serving size because there is so much less junk in them!

With all of the health problems that you mentioned, I think it is really important Jasper gets a healthy food. I know that it is frustrating that he doesn't seem to like them any better taste-wise, but what's really important is how they affect his body, and a better food can only help his health!

I understand your frustration with getting bored of foods quickly. Many pets do, and you can't really blame them - I know I couldn't eat the same thing every single day. Zoey will often get bored of a food after a few bags of it. We solve the problem by supplementing with a few bits of dog-friendly human foods. With just a few teeny bits of leftover meat, a couple tablespoons of warm rice, a splash of chicken broth, etc, she so is excited and grateful for a delicious feast!
RIP former BPO

Offline jaspers mom

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2006, 11:17:11 am »
Shangrila,

You were right on with the weight (Jasper is about 67 lbs).  I tried to get around the budget question because I never really added it up.  However, even if my 40 lb bag is dirt cheap (no price tag available), I am already spending $.50 per day on his canned cat food alone.

I did go and pull the ingredients listing from his current dog food, Hannaford Healthy Mix.  (This is supposedly the generic equivalent to Purina Beneful.)  The top ingredients are ground yellow corn, chicken by-product meal, soybean meal, corn gluten meal, whole wheat, and corn syrup.  Then we move to beef tallow, beef, water, animal fat, etc.

His can of chicken and gravy cat food (one can twice per day mixed in w/his dry)lists water, meat by-products, and then chicken as the third ingredient.  I don't know why chicken is not the #1 ingredient in a can of sliced chicken and gravy. 

I am reluctantly going to explore what the meat byproducts might be.  I am really hoping the dead dog in dog food thing is a big misunderstandi ng.  Wouldn't the euthanasia drugs show up if horsemeat were used?

Thank you for all of your hard work researching this issue.  I will look to see if Canidae is sold near me.  Do you have any other dry foods to recommend?  I don't need the breakdowns, just a couple of names in case Canidae is hard to locate.

Since I follow a modified Atkins diet (meat + chocolate), Jasper would probably also benefit from some carb reduction.

Have a good day!