Author Topic: Hiccups  (Read 1879 times)

Offline ruffian

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
Hiccups
« on: May 05, 2008, 12:29:31 am »
Gage is around 8 months I think, and he gets hiccups everyday, I cant find anything about weather it is normal or not, so I am turning to you guys.  They dont always happen after eating, sometimes they happen hours after eating, when he stands, just for no particular reason.  They only last a few minutes normally, and dont seem to bother him at all.

Offline Care2Adopt

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
    • Carolina Animal Rescue Experts
Re: Hiccups
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2008, 02:51:04 am »
Hiccups in growing puppies are normal- especially if they are going through a growth spurt. I found that if they are getting really obonoxious you can wrap your hands around the dogs snout and blow sharply into his nose. That usually either makes him sneeze or startles him and the hiccups stop. This also works on the REALLY annoying "backwards sneezing" thing that sounds like the dog is choking to death. I have no idea why it works, it just does! (IMHO)

Shawn and her
3 Golden paws
2 Kitty-paws
3 Macaws
6 lovebirds
4 ferrets
+ dozens and dozens o' rescues and fosters

Offline KiraNGunnersmom

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2008, 07:16:26 am »
Gunner has them too, usually right after he eats.  I was wondering if it was because he was gulping his food?
They dont seem to bother him as much as it bothers us.  He shakes the whole couch if he is on it with us.
Kira- Akita
Gunner-Mastiff
cockateils-Peanut Butter & Jelly
Beta fish-Mak

Offline Ali

• BPO Fanatic
  • My girls!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2008, 08:51:15 am »
Yeah, Kai gets big body hiccups. Poor thing. But, so do my husband and my sons. It seems to run in the family, so I just figured she's definately one of us!
Ali
mom of 4 humans AND
Tani (TAH-nee or rhymes with "Bonnie")- Aussie/Pittie?Boxer?Mutt!
Kai - Aussie/Dobie
Kenji - big ol' black cat
Mika and Nishi - kitty sisters, foster failures!
Tasia Ladysnake - ball python

Offline SadieA

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2008, 08:53:22 am »
When he was a little pup, Sammy got the hiccups like CRAZY. I thought something was wrong, the amount of noise they made. But he's already outgrown it, it seems, at ten months.

Offline Apreston

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2008, 10:37:19 am »
Titan sometimes gets them but it used to be really bad when he was little. Our vet just said it was a puupy think...immatu re breathing she called it!  :D