Author Topic: dragging feet  (Read 2522 times)

Offline lshelley21

• Big Paw Certified
  • Jazmine 7 months old
    • View Profile
dragging feet
« on: August 08, 2006, 04:46:01 am »
hello again... Jazmine is the best pup in the world. But when i picked her up from a kill shelter, they said that she drags her feet when she walks. What i have noticed what they mean is she "stubbs" her left and right rear foot when she walks. Just the toes sometimes, not always drag on the floor, cement, or whatever surface she is walking on. She rarely does this but just asking if anyone had a clue.
lauren and jazz
Lauren, Jazmine (great dane)
Jazmine's pets:
Calvin (ferret)
Willy (ferret)
Samantha (ferret)
Baxter (ferret)
Ferrets friends:
Shirly and baldamore (geckos)
Gecko's friend:
Big D (fish)

Oh yeah.. my pet.. Matt (hubby)
Our pets are all above

Offline brandon

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
    • HaveParrotWillTravel.com
Re: dragging feet
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2006, 04:56:22 am »
Does she just do this when she is walking slowly, or do her toes go down if she is walking a little faster?
“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Offline longshadowfarms

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
    • Longshadow Farms
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2006, 05:04:41 am »
Have you had her to a vet for a complete checkup?  Sometimes that can indicate hip or back problems. 
Daphne

Offline lshelley21

• Big Paw Certified
  • Jazmine 7 months old
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2006, 05:08:46 am »
The vet says she is fine, she does it reguardless of the speed of her gate, running, walking, jogging, it doesnt matter.  Some times she even tripps on her feet, i was concerned until i met someone else who has a dane and her's does the same thing (triping i mean) but her pup was 5 months old and 95 lbs. he was not very healthy looking...defi nitly a large pup. But he trips on his feet too. But i am concerned for her dragging her feet. The vet said she has very nice hips. I was thinking of getting booties for her feet so she doesnt end up with bloody feet.... it isn't all the time... just every so often.
Jazmine's pets:
Calvin (ferret)
Willy (ferret)
Samantha (ferret)
Baxter (ferret)
Ferrets friends:
Gecko's friend:
Big D (fish)

Our pets are all above

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2006, 05:10:42 am »
This probably doesn't pertain to your situation, but my older Newf, Cowboy used to do that pretty consistantly;  enough that he would actually wear his nails down until they bled.  We figured out that it was from his anti-seizure meds.  But I agree with everyone else, that Jazmine should probably be checked out by at least a vet...and maybe an veterinary  orthopedist as well.  Hopefully she just hasn't grown in to her larger puppy self, but it would be good to rule out orthopedic problems!

Offline lshelley21

• Big Paw Certified
  • Jazmine 7 months old
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2006, 05:17:18 am »
At the shelter they fed her Proplan adult food, i changed her to solid gold. She is 9 months ole. She definitly was lacking muscles, all skin, bone, and a little fat. Since i have had her i know not to do road work (walks) with her, so i take her swimming. She is a pro at swimming, and loves it.  After her swim she does NOT drag her feet (usually). The vet did check her out and there are no problems as of now.  I have had her for a little less than 2 months.  She sleeps like a frog with her legs out backwards on my bed, she doesn't jump on the bed, she puts her front two paws on then we lift her on the bed. We have two trucks and we lift her into those as well.  She doesn't limp, although it seems like she some what favors her left leg. When she  gets off of anything, she always puts the left rear paw first, and then instantly almost at the same time her right paw to catch her. From her swimming there is a definite muscle definition to help her gain those muscles.
Jazmine's pets:
Calvin (ferret)
Willy (ferret)
Samantha (ferret)
Baxter (ferret)
Ferrets friends:
Gecko's friend:
Big D (fish)

Our pets are all above

Offline brandon

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
    • HaveParrotWillTravel.com
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2006, 05:17:18 am »
Sophie our girl newf will slide her feet when she is tired and walking slowly, especially in the hallway.  She sounds like an old lady with slippers on that won't pick her feet up. 
“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2006, 05:26:45 am »
It sounds like you are doing everything right.  Maybe she just is at an awkward stage in growth.  With the Newfs, they get taller and look funny, then they get broader, and look funny and then somehow it all evens up.  I know NOTHING about Danes, but assume there must be some similarity in all the giants when it comes to growth patterns!

Offline lshelley21

• Big Paw Certified
  • Jazmine 7 months old
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2006, 06:09:10 am »
so then i should take her for walks? What we do is go for walks 2 times a week approx. 30 min. then everyday we play, play, and play. Although i do have to say i threw my back out and it is just getting better now, so i definitly need to catch her up on the play. So walks are good then? So many confusing things. First i read and am told don't walk, prevent hip dysplasia, then to walk... i dont know what to do.  She is 105 lbs, 9 months old, very slender. She eats approx. 4-6 cups a day... definitly depends on what is going on.. whether she is super active or just a day in bed. She also gets 1 can of wet food a day... (i think more for me than her though).  she does have shoulder development and leg muscles too. But with her foot dragging at times, i just wanted to take it easy for a while.  So how long and how many times a day/week should i walk her then?
Jazmine's pets:
Calvin (ferret)
Willy (ferret)
Samantha (ferret)
Baxter (ferret)
Ferrets friends:
Gecko's friend:
Big D (fish)

Our pets are all above

Offline navarre1316

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2006, 06:14:35 am »
My vet told me to walk everyday, but again just to her tolerance and not a marathon.  Just a leisurely stroll.  She's probably just going through a clumsy/growth stage.  And if it's something she does just every once in awhile, like someone mentioned just monitor it, write it on your calendar and if it gets more frequent then have the vet check her out again.  When my GSD was growing, he would get lame from time to time and then be fine, and he was just as clumsy, he didn't realize how big he was getting.  You are definitely on a good start with her!
God placed me on this earth to accomplish certain tasks...I'm so far behind I'll never die!!

Navarre: GSD 9/13/99-5/14/06 patiently waiting
Issabeaux: GSD 1/27/07
Daphne: Boxer
Stone: Siamese mix