Author Topic: Talk about instinct!  (Read 3013 times)

Offline navarre1316

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
Talk about instinct!
« on: August 14, 2007, 06:46:06 am »
So I'm house/dog sitting for a friend of mine this past weekend who has two labs.  One is an old man, Grady, who quickly let Issy know that he wouldn't put up with her shinanigans.  The other is a 5-6 yr old girl, Dixie, who is so laid back I swear if she was a person she'd be a stoner!!

Anyway, I'm sitting on the couch and Issy and Daphne are laying on the floor at the end of the couch.  Dixie walks in from outside (doggie door) and comes across the kitchen and starts to head for the living room.  Well, Issy jumps up and makes this weird noise kind of a mix between a bark and a growl, goes over to Dixie and grabs Dixie by the muzzle.  She doesn't bite or anything just mouths her.  Then she starts to body block Dixie and walk back and forth in front of Dixie until she starts backing up into the kitchen.  I'm thinking WTF!!!  She's herding her!!!  When Dixie gets into the kitchen, Issy turns around and comes back and lays down!  Keep in mind, other than basic commands I really haven't done any work with her as of yet.  Again I say, she needs a job!!!  She likes to control everything, Daphne can't even get up and walk across the room if there's a toy on the floor, Issy jumps up and barks at Daphne and blocks her from the toy.

So, now that I finally got registered for my class (yes I am a college student again) and soccer started (I coach) I know what days/nights I can have free.  I am going to contact this group in the area and try to start her with something.  The other problem at the moment is the heat, but she is definitely going to get into something!!!  Sorry so long, it still amazes me!!
God placed me on this earth to accomplish certain tasks...I'm so far behind I'll never die!!

Navarre: GSD 9/13/99-5/14/06 patiently waiting
Issabeaux: GSD 1/27/07
Daphne: Boxer
Stone: Siamese mix

Offline sc.trojans

• Big Paws-a-holic
  • Gracie and Skylar
    • View Profile
    • Natural K9
Re: Talk about instinct!
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2007, 12:33:04 am »

Well, Issy jumps up and makes this weird noise kind of a mix between a bark and a growl, goes over to Dixie and grabs Dixie by the muzzle.  She doesn't bite or anything just mouths her.  Then she starts to body block Dixie and walk back and forth in front of Dixie until she starts backing up into the kitchen.  I'm thinking WTF!!!  She's herding her!!! 

Actually, this isn't herding at all - this is "resource guarding" and she was doing just what it looked like - blocking her....not rounding her up moving her in a direction (i.e, herding).  She was blocking her from what she was guarding - likely you - and sounds like she resource guards a lot of things, including toys.

Resource guarding is a very important behavior to manage and get fixed as it can become a serious problem and escalate, but the good news is that it is highly trainable and most have great success.  The important thing is for her not to have that kind of control and say.

It sounds like you are motivated to get her a job to do and get her into class - that is a great idea and should help her manage her focus and energy - but the resource guarding will have to be addressed specifically and separately to see improvement there.

I recommend Jean Donaldson's Culture Clash and Pat Miller's Power of Positive Training for specific guidance on resource guarding.

Good luck!
« Last Edit: August 17, 2007, 12:34:25 am by sc.trojans »
SC Trojans
with Gracie and Skylar

Offline navarre1316

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2007, 09:02:15 am »
Cool, I knew someone would correct me!!  Resource guarding, that's it!  I couldn't think of the name for some of the other things that she does, and that's exactly what it is.  I thought some of it was herding because in some of her other behavior I have read that it is herding.  But for her the resource guarding is definitely the major factor and I am one of the resources.  I will have to go get those books and read up!  Thanks!
God placed me on this earth to accomplish certain tasks...I'm so far behind I'll never die!!

Navarre: GSD 9/13/99-5/14/06 patiently waiting
Issabeaux: GSD 1/27/07
Daphne: Boxer
Stone: Siamese mix

Offline sc.trojans

• Big Paws-a-holic
  • Gracie and Skylar
    • View Profile
    • Natural K9
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2007, 07:12:04 pm »
I thought some of it was herding because in some of her other behavior I have read that it is herding. 

You make a good point since there are some breeds that are well known for being resource guarders - and if you look at those, they are most often herding breeds.  There is a connection behaviorally.

For example, Aussies are well known as resource guarders.  I have never met an Aussie yet that wasn't and a major herding breed.  Two local Aussie owners here by me start training AGAINST resource guarding as soon as they get an Aussie pup and before they see any signs and just assume it is something to be in front of.

Strong herding instinct is a powerful behavior and many herding dogs need a lot of work to reign it in to be good herders.  For instance, many bark or nip at the herd - not good and many naturally turn extremely possessive as a result - which is just resource guarding.

I should have mentioned "Mine" by Jean Donaldson....s he is a tough read (gets academic at times) but very very informative and instructive which is what you want.  Mine is strictly focused on resource guarding of all kinds/forms.

Good luck!
SC Trojans
with Gracie and Skylar

Offline kathryn

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2007, 10:40:43 pm »
I've never read any of those books and I think I might have to check them out. 

It really depends on the type of herding dog if body blocking and mouthing part of the herding instinct.  For Belgians, at least for what I've read and through my own experience, they use body checks and their mouth for herding.  They will physically move the animal they want to herd to where they want it to go.  Unlike BCs and Aussies which use body language and eye contact to do the herding.  Cinder was really bad at trying to herd me and the cats when she was little with body checks and heel nipping but never resource guarded while Kaila is the resource guarder and never tried to herd anyone.

It does sound like Issy was more resource guarding than herding though since she went head on with the lab.  Good luck and I hope you find a good job for her.
Kaila - Belgian Malinois
Shiner - Malinois x Ridgeback
Toulouse, Cayenne, Raven - DSH

Due to recent budget cuts and the rising cost of electricity, gas and oil, as well as current market conditions, the Light at the End of the Tunnel has been turned off. We apologize for the inconvenience