Author Topic: I'm out of work again  (Read 6916 times)

lins_saving_grace

I'm out of work again
« on: April 01, 2008, 08:52:26 pm »
The temp agency told me tonight that the job I got doesn't need me anymore.  so once again, I'm looking for a job.  :(

Offline Guardian Angel's White lightning

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
Re: I'm out of work again
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2008, 08:55:07 pm »
have you tryed many temp agencies? I am apart of 2-3 agencies.....s o work is always available

Offline pyr4me

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2008, 08:58:12 pm »
Sorry to hear this news. Hope things start looking up for you soon. 
Jennifer

Tipper (8 1/2 yrs) Golden Retriever/Sheltie mix
Jenny (4 yrs) Great Pyrenees
Gabriel (14 yrs) Sealpoint Himalayan cat
Melanie (11 yrs) Domestic medium hair cat

"You think dogs will not be in heaven? I tell you, they will be there long before any of us."
~Robert Lewis Steven

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2008, 09:02:05 pm »
have you tryed many temp agencies? I am apart of 2-3 agencies.....s o work is always available
I'm registered with 4 temp services and i'll go see 2 more i know of before Friday.  They all say the same thing when I call in available.  Michigan is hard pressed for work.

Offline Guardian Angel's White lightning

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2008, 09:09:30 pm »
That is horrible!!! I love temp work, i love the fact that it isn't a perm. thing, you can move  jobs (when available).  How about walking dogs? that is an easy job, that is what i do....that is definitly not cool though...sorry they are done with you. It is definitly hard, we are in a situation where you don't know when the next full meal will be... plus food for the dogs is slowing down too....it is definitly hard..i wish someone told me life was this hard once out of school!!!

Offline Ali

• BPO Fanatic
  • My girls!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2008, 10:15:52 pm »
Aw that sucks!! Well, at least you made a little something there for awhile. Hopefully enough to get by for a little bit while you keep looking...
Ali
mom of 4 humans AND
Tani (TAH-nee or rhymes with "Bonnie")- Aussie/Pittie?Boxer?Mutt!
Kai - Aussie/Dobie
Kenji - big ol' black cat
Mika and Nishi - kitty sisters, foster failures!
Tasia Ladysnake - ball python

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2008, 10:25:17 pm »
It'll be ok.  I have to believe that.  this place was horrible.  they called the temp service and told them i wasn't catching on quickly enough.  well i asked questions and they rolled their eyes when they saw me coming and told me they didn't have time to help me...and made it so i had to see them about every file i did.   i got the impression i didn't want to be there longer than i was.  i hoped it would last till something better came along.  but not meant to be. 
it'll be ok.

Offline MommaBear

• Paw-meister
  • baby bear
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2008, 10:33:25 pm »
:( Sorry to hear but I guess if it was a bad job its probably for the best. Good luck with the job hunt!

Offline GoldenPyrs

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2008, 05:04:56 am »
Oh Lin, you really, really deserve a break.   :(  You've had a tough time of it lately, but you have a great can-do attitude about it all.  We're crossing all fingers & paws for some great opportunity for you & soon!
Marie

And my pups:
Daisy a 9 y/o Golden/Lab mix
Sammy a 6-7(?) y/o Great Pyrenees adopted 3/07
Cassie a 3 y/o Pyr/Mystery Snuggle Bunny mix adopted 2/07

My angel girls waiting at the Bridge:
Cara 1989-2001 Great Pyrenees
Sally ? - 1993 Dobie(rescued '92)
Halley 2002-2006 Great Pyrenees

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2008, 09:09:24 am »
 the temp guy called this morning and said he has a part time opening at an appraisal company that needs someone to search county records for deeds and mortgages.  He said they want prior mortgage experience.  i hate to correct him when he says that...but that's title experience.  and i told him that's what i did...and i don't have prior mortgage experience.  so i corrected him a little.  :)  so i said of course and i could find something else part time to fill my other free time during the week, something i thought of last month anyway.  so there might be something in the works.  :)  i like the 2 PT job idea.   and it's what i'm good at but NOT in a title company.  What more can i ask for.

Today I am off to the MICHWORKS office to use their fax machine to send my resume to a dental office.  then to god knows where with the new camera.  it's too pretty out to stay inside.

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2008, 04:09:48 pm »
well it's a no go on the appraisal company.   They want someone with more appraisal experience.  so tuesday i'm going to the MICHWORKS office for retraining orientation.  they pay for it and i can train for something like medical coding, a big field in this state.  anything medical really.  :)  i'll find something even if i have to go to school for it.

bigdogs@5501

« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2008, 09:40:26 pm »
Lin
Too bad you cant come to Texas, we seem to have a lot of jobs- not sure what the cost of living would be compared to what you are use to in Michigan. Dont go for coding- go for the billing and accounts receiveable for medical, or the verification. More entry level jobs in that area that will allow you to work your way up and learn even more- you could learn coding on the side.
I have been in Medical for about 20 years now- I have done a little of everything and currently work with case managers and ins companies on precertifying medical needs.
Start reading everything that you can get your hands on that pertains to medical terminology and learn the anatomy.
I have found that sometimes I actually have to educate the nurse case managers that I am working with on anatomy etc.
Its a good field to get into and there are always jobs.

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2008, 09:48:11 pm »
My brother asked me to go to Texas where he lives.  the cost of living is about the same.  but to fly there for an interview, fly home and back and then to move would cost me every dime i have plus some.  i wouldn't have the money to get a place and start a life.  i wanted to go, but it wasn't happening.
I hate anatomy, but the medical field is huge here in MI too.  so the training will have something to do with a field that's high in demand.  the guy at the MICHWORKS office will i'm sure guide me in the right direction.  but you're right.  the billing seems to be the highest in demand.  something has to give.

Offline arkydo

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2008, 10:20:10 pm »
I'm sorry to hear that Lin
But yeah MI is real bad right now getting and keeping a job is the new Michigan lottery.
I work for a local cabinet maker and i have people left right and center waiting for me to get on the wrong side of my boss so they can snipe my job.
I hope thing pick up here not just for you Lin but for about 70% of my friends and family too
« Last Edit: April 02, 2008, 10:20:57 pm by arkydo »

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2008, 10:33:23 pm »
it is so bad right now.  but things will pick up and i just have to be more assertive.  :)  for all of us sincerely looking and wanting to work, may good things come to us.  and may no one snipe your job. 
« Last Edit: April 02, 2008, 10:33:53 pm by Lin »