Author Topic: New to Big Paws Only  (Read 11507 times)

Offline Kermit

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
Re: New to Big Paws Only
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2005, 10:01:39 pm »
Oh good heavens Bubba is cute! And you are sure right- you are going to have a BIG dog on your hands! Oh wait, you already do!!! I have a Saint/Bloodhound mix who is 7 1/2 months and 75 lbs, and I think HE is big!! :D
I also have two other mixed breed dogs, Zoot and Mokey. :)

WELCOME!

Offline tyscrzymom

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2005, 12:27:23 pm »
All your dogs are beautiful!So many different breeds here...I love it! Hey what breed is Jack? Is he a Dane? I belong to alot of Saint groups...and I've been reading all the posts from the moderators...a nd let me tell ya it will be nice to be part of a compitition and flame free community...TY

Offline CASMOM

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
    • FoxFire Central Asian Shepherds
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2005, 10:51:28 pm »
Hi, im also new here and since this was a open thread I will say howdy how here :)

I own and breed and show and work Central Asian Shepherd dogs.
Prior to this I did rescue in the NYC area for 15 years.

I own 9 dogs and 2 horses and soon to be 2 {Pregnant Ewes Karakul)

Tasha -Coz- Bear-Ali- I removed the titles so it looks less like a promo and more like I own breeding dogs and they must be proven to breed but they are family 1st.

+FF Tanky and Precious Spayed Neutered Pets from our 4 Litters in 9 yrs

+ FF J-lo -FF Pebbles

+Mountain Top Justice .Sis to Babs Zero

These dogs work on my farm and live in the house they are my family.

I could write more but I dont wish to promo myself or the breed and truth is my hands are tired....:)But felt it rude not to intro myself.

I love BIG dogs and I am CGC many of them some of the rarest thru the years.

So howdy how to all and (I love the Saint Pics I have a dish from theĀ  Saint that was winning a few years ago with the owner handler Mechanic? think his name was Joe? well I have a silver tray from him I got a dog Raffle out our molosser show.. He won allot great team.

Jeannine de Palma
« Last Edit: October 21, 2005, 10:58:14 pm by CASMOM »

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2005, 10:55:22 pm »
Hello and welcome.

I'm taking a wild leap here and saying the Central Asain Shepherd dogs are Ovtcharka's?  They look the same.  I think I've heard both names before.  What a beautiful dog.  We now have several of you guys on here, although different types/breeds.  I love hearing all about these guys, so feel free to give us a general backround info on them, I at least would love to hear it.

My name is Chris, and I am owned by a husky/shep mix Keiko and a great dane pup Gunther.

GR8DAME

« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2005, 10:57:03 pm »
Welcome, Jeannine, hope you like it here at BPO.
I'd love to see pics of your full house crew.
Stella

Offline CASMOM

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2005, 11:06:22 pm »
Well great topic.

Ovcharka translates LOOSELy to Shepherd dog or dog to graze with sheep....

Ovcharka is a Russian Name for a None Russian dog.

So the Central Asian natives do not USE Ovcharka .
To them Ovcharka means mongrel..

And recently the Russians have changed the breed standard away from the CAS standard they had for 70 years . They did this in 2000 thus they CAo is slowly becoming a DIFFERENT separate breed from the CAS dogs for Central Asian and the USa since we breed to the original FCI/ standard ..

All USA reg dogs are Reg as Central Asian Shepherds UKC and AKC FSS
All Central Asian Dogs exported from Central Asia are reg CAS.

Russian dogs are Reg as CAo.

The CAO is on breed bans due to the legal ugh how do I put it they are changing the breed from a LGD to a u know what in some parts of Russian where what we consider illegal is legal.

I guess you can guess what I mean.

So I will Never use the CAO name- since the CO is on breed bans and I really dont wish to have my breed banned under other breeds or confusion.

I have 1 dog from Russian u know what lines she is 9 and is not suitable for the uS idealism of proper good dog manners.

I will never own a dog from her lines again. Hope she lives 10 more year god willing BUT big BUT what some breeders are doing to the breeds by inbreeding or crossbreeding to more dog to dog aggressive vs domiant animals makes me sick.

I have on my website more detail but I dont wish to break rules by linking to a site that is breeder related.

Hope this helps
as I said 9 years ago when the Titanic sinks with the Ovcharka name we will be boarding as a Shepherd plain old dog and we will be rescued.

This is tasha the other Pic is coz

thanks for the warm reply

Offline CASMOM

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2005, 11:08:35 pm »
This is one of my favorite old pics me and Tasha when I had a broken arm from a horse accident she was so protective and gentle around me. ;)

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2005, 05:09:19 am »
Wow.  Thank you so much for the explanation.  I had no idea.  I think you can list your website, others have, just not advertise selling of puppies on here.   :)

I love the pics you've shown and would love to see more.  Do they come in many colors?  Looks like the last pic you showed the one is a chocolate color.

I love hearing about breeds I'm not so familiar with, and the CA is one I know very little about.

Kiahpyr

« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2005, 05:14:46 am »
Welcome Casmom! Your avatar is so adorable! I have a 7 month old great pyrenees named Kiah. I was also curious about the difference between asian shepards & ovcharkas. Thanks again for the explanation.

Offline Troubles

• Gnawer
  • Troubles the Water Otter
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 25, 2005, 07:05:27 am »
We're new here too.  I signed up a few months back but just had not had time to look around. 

My 'child' is a 2.5 black Lab that is totally spoiled!  We're training with a volunteer group here in Little Rock, AR called "Arkansas Search Dog Association".  It's a total rush and Troubles loves it!

Thanks for having this place!   ;D

Troubles' mom
"You can say any fool thing to a dog, and the dog will give you this look that says, `My God, you're RIGHT! I NEVER would've thought of that!'" - Dave Barry

Kiahpyr

« Reply #25 on: October 25, 2005, 07:06:49 am »
Welcome Troubles Mom! Sounds like you're very busy. I'm April and I have a 7 month old great pyrenees named Kiah.

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 25, 2005, 07:09:59 am »
Welcome Trouble and mom........lol

So, is he really trouble, or is it one of those opposite names where they are nothing like that?

Offline Troubles

• Gnawer
  • Troubles the Water Otter
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 25, 2005, 07:23:20 am »
LOL!  He was actually named after a German Shorthair that my dad had when he was a kid, but.... I'm had a concussion, many split lips, one black eye, almost lost a finger, and many other assorted bumps and bruises.  And most of that was before he was a year old!  He's a typical, bouncy lab!  He was buried alive twice after he was born - 2 pups died and his mom was confused.  I got him at 3 weeks because I had to hand feed him.  He got scabies from being drug thru the woods and now suffers from bacterial infections on his skin quite a bit.  So, I guess it does fit a little.  (A psychic told me that he doesn't like his name and calls himself "Lucky"!)

But, he's now a healthy 88+ pounds and has a very shiny, black coat even though our old vet said his hair would not come back after the scabies!  He's learning hand signals in "school", is hooked on motocross and thinks eveyone should be friends!  He's also aced most of his first scent tracks that we've done and I'm totally stoked about that!

I do have a question... was going to put this in the med section, but had not made it over there yet......  I've heard that dogs can catch some types of colds and flus.  Is this true?  Reason I ask - Troubles has the skin infection right now and is on a heavy does of antibiotics, but the past 2 or so days, I've noticed him kind of 'snorting' as if his nose is running.  He also does the "stuffy nose" thing where you try to catch your breath when you can't breathe.  I would have thought the meds he was on would knock anything out, but he's my child and I worry about him!  ;)

Sorry for such a LONG post....

Troubles' mom
"You can say any fool thing to a dog, and the dog will give you this look that says, `My God, you're RIGHT! I NEVER would've thought of that!'" - Dave Barry

Offline Tulsas' Dad

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 25, 2005, 07:46:19 am »
Hey Zoo!
Love the New Avatar!
But it looks like Gunther is pimping out Keiko!
Hope it's 60-40 split.
The scientific name for an animal that doesn't either run from or fight its enemies, is Lunch.--Michael Friedman

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 25, 2005, 09:00:24 am »
Hey Zoo!
Love the New Avatar!
But it looks like Gunther is pimping out Keiko!
Hope it's 60-40 split.

LOL........... .that is the way its supposed to look.  Pimp Daddy Gunther showing off his merchandise.

I do have a question... was going to put this in the med section, but had not made it over there yet......  I've heard that dogs can catch some types of colds and flus.  Is this true?  Reason I ask - Troubles has the skin infection right now and is on a heavy does of antibiotics, but the past 2 or so days, I've noticed him kind of 'snorting' as if his nose is running.  He also does the "stuffy nose" thing where you try to catch your breath when you can't breathe.  I would have thought the meds he was on would knock anything out, but he's my child and I worry about him

Troubles.  First off, it sounds like he is a very lucky puppy.  Secondly, antibiotics are for bacterial, and won't help with any viral, which is what most colds and flus are.  Both of mine have allergies and reverse sneeze once in awhile.  Has he been vaccinated for bordatella?  That would be my other guess.  Or he could simply have a cold.  But no, the meds won't help for colds or flus.  They help with the secondary problems like pneumonia.