Author Topic: does anyone here do this??  (Read 7968 times)

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
does anyone here do this??
« on: April 17, 2007, 04:56:14 am »
i was wondering if anyone here meditates or does anything to the like of it?  my bad luck is continuing and continually getting worst and i'm looking for a way to de-stress / "clean my energy."  i saw a kit online that was an energy cleaning kit with sage, etc. and thought it might be something to try even if it does JUST calm me down for a few minutes and help me "chill out."  i can be a very high strung person and i stress very easily, and have tried running / exercising, doing puzzles etc and so far have managed only to aggravate myself that much more.  i'm more irritated when i finish than i was when i start, so i think i should go with something "calm" and not as intense?  any help, or even suggestions, would be appreciated!
steffanie in atlanta

aiden (4), tristan (2), & maya (born sept. 17th)
axle-140ish-lb akita (4)
peanut-5lb, 11 months chihuahua
[img width= height= alt=Image Hosted by ImageShack.us]http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/3339/alltogethernowme6.jpg[/img]

Offline peytons mama

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
Re: does anyone here do this??
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2007, 05:10:28 am »
I know at local YMCAs you can take yoga classes. I myself have never gone to them but have done yoga on tape and it has helped. There is even such thing as doggie yoga!
While you are there,  you learn how to breathe correctly too! Who woulda thunk we breathe wrong?!

Hope this helps.
Your house isn't a home until you have made a bed for a dog.

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2007, 05:14:40 am »
i saw the doggie yoga, too cool!  but, with them lifting the dogs over their heads i think mine are way tooooooooooo big to do that, and peanut is too tiny ha ha.  thanks for the info, i'll see if we have one in the area (not sure that we do)!
steffanie in atlanta

axle-140ish-lb akita (4)
[img width= height= alt=Image Hosted by ImageShack.us]http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/3339/alltogethernowme6.jpg[/img]

Offline Stacey

• Grand Master
  • Tonka
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2007, 05:16:06 am »
Years ago, I took a meditation class.  It is actually fairly easy to do, without a class.  Just find a quiet comfortable place and close your eyes.  Breathing gently in through your nose and out through your mouth, just picture yourself surrounded by a white light.  Then you just have to think of what would be your ideal, "happy place" and go there.  At first, it seemed really silly to me, but after practicing, it is very therapuetic.  At minimum, it forces you to isolate yourself for a short period of time and collect yourself.  It is also said, that if you want something to happen, to meditate on it, to picture yourself reaching whatever goal it is you have, or gaining whatever it is you want to get, and by putting that energy out there, you will succeed.  
I am kind of a big deal!

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2007, 05:20:26 am »
thanks!  did you ever use inscents (sp??) or anything like that?  i know scents can help people calm down, but i'm clueless as to what scents do what.
steffanie in atlanta

axle-140ish-lb akita (4)

Nicole

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2007, 05:29:09 am »
I really like the breathing-focused meditations. It helps me have something to focus on so that I'm not thinking of the zillion things that I have to do that day, or what made me mad, etc. Also, yoga is seriously AWESOME. The stretching combined with the meditation and breathing makes me more relaxed than anything else. No kiddin.

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2007, 05:30:50 am »
thanks everybody!  i love all the feedback this is bringing!  i had done a guided meditation CD with a group before and LOVED it!  unfortunately though, i don't know what the name of it was.  it was pretty cool, it told you to "tense this muscle hold hold hold relax, tense this one hold hold hold relax" etc.  helped you to relax physically THEN worked on mental relaxation some more.  i have a very hard time focusing on things also, my mind is always zooming with 10,000 things i need to do, so i'm hoping this will also help me stop that and maybe even help me sleep better!  (not to mention have more patients with my kids)
steffanie in atlanta

axle-140ish-lb akita (4)

k2campbell

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2007, 05:31:01 am »
I started taking pre-natal yoga when I found out I was pregnant, had never done yoga before in my life and I absolutely LOVE it. It is so relaxing, I'm sure it would help to calm you down. You learn deep breathing at the same time (it's not just for the pre-natal, the deep breathing). When I leave the studio I need to sit in my car for 15 minutes or so before I drive, that's how relaxed I am! ;D

I started missing the class due to bad weather here, couldn't make it there on time after work, so I bought a DVD to do at home. I still get the same effect but if there's classes locally for you to try, I would, it's better than doing it at home  ;) The studio I do uses candles and soothing meditation music, it's just the best!  :) I plan to keep up with it after the baby is born too  ;D

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2007, 05:33:01 am »
how cool!  i thought about doing one of the pre-natal ones when i was preg. with tristan, but then i found out on top of the class fees the hospital that did it charged parking by the half hour   ???  i did walking instead, and at that point in time it helped me a lot, but now it just aggravates me.  not particularly sure why.
steffanie in atlanta

axle-140ish-lb akita (4)

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2007, 05:35:46 am »
The studio I do uses candles and soothing meditation music, it's just the best!

do you happen to know if they use a particular smell, or different ones?
steffanie in atlanta

axle-140ish-lb akita (4)

EllieAndBlu

« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2007, 05:43:43 am »
I so know where you are coming from Steff... Here are some things that have helped me relax...

1) soaking in a tub filled with bubbles/essential oils... scented candles lit... lights dimmed.... relaxing music playing (or silence...lol).

2) meditation CD... I have one that talks you through relaxing while waves crash in the background. VERY relaxing. I'll look up the title when I get home.

3)Lighting incense/burning sage will clear the "bad" energy in a space and help relax you at the same time.

*Some relaxing scents are: Lavender, Camomile, Ylang Ylang*

-hope this helps.

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2007, 05:44:04 am »
thanks to both of you!  i'm going to look into those candles and also the book!  book now, the candles as soon as i find a store that sells them locally!  i think we have a yankee candle in the mall, do you think they would have it?
steffanie in atlanta

axle-140ish-lb akita (4)

k2campbell

« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2007, 05:46:10 am »
The studio I do uses candles and soothing meditation music, it's just the best!

do you happen to know if they use a particular smell, or different ones?

Sorry, I don't know the smells they use but they are different each time. I think they're just basic aromatherapy candles, I've smelt lavendar for sure, I know that  ;)

As for walking when you were pregnant, I do that too. I haven't missed all but 1 day of walking Kate since I became pregnant, I'm very proud of that. The day I missed it was storming out and I didn't feel my best. The next day I paid for it big time, I felt like crap all day. I need my daily walk, gets the blood flowing well  ;)

Offline schelmischekitty

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2007, 05:49:51 am »
I so know where you are coming from Steff... Here are some things that have helped me relax...

1) soaking in a tub filled with bubbles/essential oils... scented candles lit... lights dimmed.... relaxing music playing (or silence...lol).

2) meditation CD... I have one that talks you through relaxing while waves crash in the background. VERY relaxing. I'll look up the title when I get home.

3)Lighting incense/burning sage will clear the "bad" energy in a space and help relax you at the same time.

*Some relaxing scents are: Lavender, Camomile, Ylang Ylang*

-hope this helps.

thanks!  unfortunately, my septic tank is messed up (catch this, everything worked for hubby last night, but is broken again since he went to work, figures) so we are having to use the neighbors bathroom for everything.  GREAT!  hopefully today or tomorrow hubby will have someone come out to fix it, would have been today but hubby is insistent that it's a clog in a drain that's causing our ENTIRE house to back up   ???  on TV we have a meditation channel that plays relaxing music, and occasionally plays a meditation guide, so i'll use that until i get a cd.  thanks for the scent hints!  my luck, i'd get one that aggravates people or something ha ha
steffanie in atlanta

axle-140ish-lb akita (4)

Offline happiday

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • All I ever do is SMILE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2007, 05:52:33 am »
Hi, Steffanie!
I use lavender oil and lavender sachets for relaxation.  
As long as you're not allergic to it, lavender is one of the best relaxing scents.  I get it here:

http://www.botanicchoice.com/products/sku-002LAVR__id-28.html

It only takes a little, so the small bottle goes a long way.  Also, if you like houseplants, you can grow lavender in a pot in the house to fragrance the whole house, and snip some off to place in sachets or in a nice, warm bath.
Chamomile tea is a good relaxer, too.  Sending relaxing prayers and good thoughts your way!  :-)

Noticed the post about Yankee Candle.  You can order online @ www.yankeecand le.com
« Last Edit: April 17, 2007, 05:54:05 am by happiday »
Salli, Annie's mama!