Author Topic: How can I find showing info?  (Read 1380 times)

Offline Newly Newfed

• Top Doggie Dog
  • Sierra
    • View Profile
How can I find showing info?
« on: July 05, 2007, 06:16:58 am »
I was wondering if anyone can give me any leads about how to go about finding dog show information, like when, where and when to go about preparing Sierra for show.  I know I've mentioned it before, my mom and I used to show our Siberian Huskies, but I'll be honest, I was young and Mom handled all of the paperwork, all I did was go in the ring with my pooch and show her.  I didn't realize how little I knew about showing until my hubby and kids started asking me questions.  What I do remember is I loved doing it.

I know of a dog training club that has everything I'm looking for - handling classes, basic obedience, therapy training, training, canine good citizen.  Someone even suggested I train her for agility...thou gh I have never seen a Newfie in and agility trial. 

I figured the internet would provide a wealth of info, but I can't even find where and when shows are scheduled and it seems like if I don't belong to a Newfoundland Club, nobody want to talk about it.  GRRR!  It's annoying...lik e it's some kind of secret society that I have to brand my wrist to join and swear secrecy for life.  Yes, I am making reference to the movie "The Skulls".  COuldn't help it...watched it last night...LOL

Any way can any non-Skulls member give me some tips?
Dogs are not our whole lives, but they make our lives whole - Roger Caras

Sierra-Newfoundland
Cody-Papillon
Oscar, Gina- Cats
Roxy-Ferret
Peaches, Sean, Thunderbolt, Chablis, Lucky, Miracle, Ivy, Riley-Whitetail Deer

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
Re: How can I find showing info?
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2007, 06:22:45 am »
On this website you will find everything you need
Good luck!

http://www.infodog.com/showinfo/state.htm
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

Offline VdogLover

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2007, 07:19:17 am »
You can find AKC and UKC shows listed on their websites.

UKC shows are far more laid back and since they DO NOT allow pro handlers even a newbie has a great chance if they have a nice dog. I always suggest people first show with UKC before jumping in with the wolves (AKC).

Taking a handling class is a great place to start. Try to find one that offers not only drop in conformation classes but as weekly novice class also.

If you need any other help or information I will gladly help you in any way I can. Feel free to email me :) ilonavizslas@yahoo.com
Good luck~
« Last Edit: July 05, 2007, 07:22:40 am by VdogLover »

Offline patrick

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
    • Great Pyrenees
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2007, 08:47:14 pm »
Infodog.com has a list of all the shows in the nation so you can find ones in your area  It is a great help to actually go watch as well as going to your handling classes