Author Topic: help please  (Read 7575 times)

Offline Heighway

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Webster at 8 months
    • View Profile
help please
« on: October 20, 2005, 02:41:58 pm »
Webster is 11 weeks old.  We are trying to crate train him and are about to give up. He wakes up about every 1-2 hours, goes out and wee's, then wants to be up for an hour.  3 weeks of little sleep is starting to wear thin.  We have tried:  keeping him awake for the last hours of the evening, witholding food and water after 7pm (occasional ice cube).  If we know he has done his business within the last hour, we have tried to just let him stay in the crate, but he yips, and he barks, and he scratches.  He can do this for hours.  We have tried "no".  We have tried treats and "good boy" if he quiets for a few minutes, we have tried the squirt in the face.  What else is there?  During the day he can stay in the crate for 3 hours with no probs.  Anyone else have a Nite Owl Newfie?
Karen

Offline lilysmom

• Big Paws-a-holic
  • When I rescued Lily, she rescued me right back!
    • View Profile
Re: help please
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2005, 06:27:02 pm »
The blanket sounds like a good idea.  If he doesn't eat it, lol.  Mine always try to get to everything outside their crate.  Is his crate in the line of traffic or is it in a quiet spot? 

Maybe some dogs just don't like the crate.  My mom's dog got herself so upset by the crate that they had to stop using it. 

I had Raven completely housbroken by 10 weeks.  I didn't crate her as a puppy at night.  I'm a light sleeper so if I heard her get off her bed in the middle of the night I took her right out.  By 10 weeks she could go about 7 straight hours at night.  And during the day she would go to the same door I used every time to take her out.  It wasn't until I had to go out somewhere that I would put her in the crate.  And during the day I would leave the door open to the crate when I was home and she would go in and out of it on her own.  But I always made sure that every 2-3 hours I would take her out if she didn't go to the door.  Even now I still find Raven laying in her crate sometimes.  And Lily who I think was never crate trained will go in hers and lay down.  I don't think as puppys they can grasp the concept of being seperated from you.  So if they see you or hear you they want to be near you.  I don't know how standard crate training is supposed to go, but this is what worked for me.
When I rescued Lily, she rescued me right back!

Offline lilysmom

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2005, 08:02:26 pm »
I guess I took the wrong approach.  I wish I had known about this site before.   :-[

Offline lilysmom

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2005, 08:10:03 pm »
I was such a big softy with her at night.  I like puppy breath.  I know, I'm weird.  I would curl up with her at night.  Ahhhhh, I miss the puppy days. lol.  :D

Offline BabsT

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2005, 08:19:05 pm »
Describe the pups typical day...from the first thing in the morning to bed....includi ng crating, how long, play etc....everyth ing
Zero 23mth  Central Asian Ovcharka
Anchara 16mth old Caucasian Ovcharka

Offline patrick

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
    • Great Pyrenees
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2005, 08:52:13 pm »
I just got a puppy back because it whined while in the crate.  Like this pup it was crated during the day and crated at night as well.  The puppy was crated to eat its meals and whenever the owner was busy doing something.   When you added it all up the puppy was in the crate for 20-22 hours per day.  WAY TOO MUCH TIME in the crate

Offline lilysmom

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2005, 09:11:52 pm »
I just got a puppy back because it whined while in the crate. Like this pup it was crated during the day and crated at night as well. The puppy was crated to eat its meals and whenever the owner was busy doing something. When you added it all up the puppy was in the crate for 20-22 hours per day. WAY TOO MUCH TIME in the crate

I agree.  I only crate when I have to go to the store.  I'm never gone more than 2 hours at a time. 

Offline Good Hope

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2005, 09:20:50 pm »
Hi,

Sapphire, our Kuvasz, did the same thing, however during the day she had to go out every hour, at night every 2-21/2 hrs. When she turned 16 weeks, magically changed. At 6 months she can handle 8 hours at night. She will go into her crate during the day occasionally to take a nap. Once we get through the chewing stage we will no longer crate her at night.

We are novices in this house, but do pm BabsT, I am certain she may be able to help.

Deena

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2005, 10:53:48 pm »
I've heard a ticking clock makes them calmer.
We had the same issues with Grace (and still do to a point...she's an early riser).  We just had to wait it out.  She's grown out of it for the most part.

Offline brandon

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
    • HaveParrotWillTravel.com
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2005, 11:05:06 pm »
We've bought a couple of those hearbeat bears from the local goodwill store, I think they work wonders.
“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.â€

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2005, 11:11:24 pm »
We've bought a couple of those hearbeat bears from the local goodwill store, I think they work wonders.

REALLY?  where do you put them in relation to the crate?

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2005, 11:33:09 pm »
Eleven weeks is still SOOO young!  We got Chester at 12 weeks from the breeder and haven't used a crate at all.  I know many people swear by the crate but I just think that Newfies are such people dogs that they need to be with their people as much as possible.  Yes, the first couple of weeks I was up 3 - 4 times a night taking him out to pee but by the time he was four months, he was completely fine.  He just curled up in his bed next to mine and if he needed a pat in the middle of the night it was good.  He sleeps all night now without a problem and has for months. (he's eight months now).  Maybe try not using the crate at night and just give him the affection he needs until he get through this stage....reall y 4 months (16 weeks) is much more of a realistic target to expect him to be able to "hold" it for longer periods.

Offline brandon

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
    • HaveParrotWillTravel.com
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2005, 11:44:34 pm »
We just took the noise thing out and set it beside the crate.  We have done this for Our birds, Bava, and the new guy also.  It's just a bit of white noise, but really does seem to help them sleep better.
“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.â€

Offline Heighway

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Webster at 8 months
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2005, 02:25:16 am »
BabsT:  We get up at 5:45, Walk Webster and Riley, feed, water then out to play in the fenced yard while we dress for work.  I play with them til 8, then put Webster in his crate.  Hubby is home by 10:30 and is home until 2:30.  Webster is in and out of crate (door left open).  Simon walks the dogs, gives them lunch and plays with them and hopefully catches a 30min. nap, (if Webster allows).  He puts him in the crate when he leaves.  Daughter is home from work by 4 and she lets him out in the yard, I am home by 4:30 and we all go for a long walk.  Webster usually plays in the house (underfoot :-) while I make supper, he sleeps just outside the dining room while we eat.  Then he eats, plays and simon takes him and Riley for yet another walk while I do dishes or vice versa. Then we settle down for play time from about 7:30 to 10 or 10:30pm. Once more around the house for potties and  By then Webster is out like a light.  You could swing him by his tail and he wouldn't wake up. We put him in his crate and  we run off to bed too.  Then, Webster is awake at midnight, out for a quick pee, back in, (we no longer play at this time, I usually ignore him and catch up on BPO.  Up maybe 1/2 hour.  Back to the crate, he is still awake, but settles, no whining or barking.  Then it starts every 2 hours or so.  I know I am not supposed to go to him when he barks, but after 1/2 hour and the whole house is awake, what is one to do? The crate is not in our room, but is across the hall.  It is in my line of vision when the doors are open.  Riley sleeps in the living room.  I hope we can do something to make this work out.  Any advise is appreciated.  Thanks.  He IS a cute little dickens and I think he tries to be good!
Karen

Offline Saintgirl

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2005, 04:03:19 am »
I think that LaurelGrove aka Holly, gave you some wonderful advice. It is so hard when they cry and eventually have the whole house awake. The whole concept of extinction is a tried and true behavior modification therapy for both people and dogs. And the best part about extinction is that it usually works fairly quickly (within a week). Sure, that sounds like a whole lot of sleepless nights when you have to get up and go about your life in the morning, but in the long term picture it really isn't so bad. LaurelGrove has already said that the hardest part about the extinction process is 100% consistency and having the whole family on board. One little slip up reinforces the barking behavior, and the entire process will begin again. The only other thing to keep in mind if you choose this form of behavior modification in about 25% of cases there is what is called an extinction burst. After a couple nights of peace and quiet your pup may act out even worse than before. IGNORE this, it is only a last minute plea to get your attention doing what has worked before, but doesn't seem to be working anymore.

If you give this a go, GOODLUCK!! Invest in some earplugs!
Leah, Hutch, and Abbey